The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default On Command or Confused/Upset?

I did do a search prior to posting this thread but pulled up nothing.

This is Alborozo and his handler Avi Cohen performing at BreyerFest 2008. People claim this is all on command but I think the enviroment was just too much for the horse.

This looks to me, personally, like a very PO'ed, upset horse with a PO'ed handler and an enthusiastic crowd that knows nothing about real horses, only model ones. People also said that in his stall at the KHP he was pacing and even acting colicky from being so upset.

Alborozo is a Andalusian stallion, by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-7j...eature=related
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

What is your point? I imagine that environment could be quite overwhelming for a horse - I do think he was very clearly having a bad day! There are some videos on youtube of Alborozo performing a correct capriole, fwiw.

He was supposed to be doing the Airs Above The Ground but he was a bit overwhelmed. Neither horse they had there seemed to appreciate their training/handling methods too much. They seemed like they would have appreciated a slower more gentle approach. He was def. better under saddle.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Looks just like my gelding...when he has a horsefly on his butt.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Look to me like the horse was trying to nail the trainer and the trainer was trying to stay the heck out of the way.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Here's the same horse under saddle, I think at the same event.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7J-A...eature=related

He looks all right in this one.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Yeah, that clearly wasn't a happy horse, but I'm not so sure what was wrong with the handling? Granted I'm on an ancient monitor so it is hard to see details, but I only saw him jerking on the rein attached to the cavesson when the horse was getting away from him or threatening to, and I think I saw him hit the horse with his whip once near the end when the horse was really trying to nail him. Didn't look PO'd or bad to me...in fact I thought he was remarkably restrained for having a stallion trying to kick his head off.

I think that (short of seeing someone abuse an animal) it is hard to judge a training approach in a venue like that. It's really stressful and hard to prepare for, and then once you're there you're on display to a lot of people who may not know much about horses, so you have to be really aware of what your handling looks like to them (not to mention the pressure to put on the show you promised). I've done some public events like that and while I enjoy them a lot when everything goes right, it's such a nightmare when things go wrong.

They were pretty hard handed and whip happy. They like them hot and apparently on the edge of hysteria.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Ah, I can see where that would be easy to judge. I couldn't see that in the video, but again I'm on an ancient monitor with really terrible resolution so I might have missed a lot.