The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on this OTTB? UPDATE: He's mine :)

He is 3, 16.2h, and his trot, from what I could tell when he trotted out in his paddock, could very well be super fancy. Came home from the track 3 weeks ago.

Planned use - dressage, jumping (probably max 3'), maybe a bit of XC if horse is brave and rider gets brave(r).

I didn't go to take a horse home. But this guy makes my heart sing.

Really stuck on "don't want another" after losing heart horse and basically-heart-horse in January. I've been saying that I don't even really want the one I have (3yo WB whose primarily first answer to everything is "No, I WON'T. MAKE ME." Not started yet, though). )

But yup, this guy speaks to me. Go figure.

http://www.poly-gon.ca/tb/DSC_7288.jpg

http://www.poly-gon.ca/tb/DSC_7285.jpg

Opinions?
    Last edited by BoldChance; Aug. 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

He's cute! I don't see anything glaringly wrong with him.

He looks nice, maybe a tad rump high, hard to tell from photo, BUT he's 3, and will probably grow a little more. I got one that was boned like that at 4 and 16.2. He ended at 17.1. by 5. Long springy pasterns should give you a nice trot.

When you get them at 15.3 at 3, hoping for 16h, they don't grow. It's a rule!!!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

When they make your heart sing you have to bring them home!

whats his name
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

I like him. I think his pasterns are too long, but that's the only thing I see. I bought one like that and he was 27 when he died, did a Prelim 3 Day, never had a problem.
    He is purty.

get him! and sell the WB!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Thanks guys. I really heart this guy. He's got loads of personality and, well, He has that IT factor.

I'm lucky enough to have been offered the opportunity to ride him before deciding, and I'm going to do so. Bringing 2 friends - one who knows me wel, and one who knows the track/trac horses well... I'm a bit gunshy about OTTB's as Poly was chronically unable to stay sound.. the track friend said she doesn't want me to wind up in the same situation.. This guy seems fine, but I'm grateful for an extra set of more-experienced eyes.

I'm glad she's likely coming as I'm more comfortable about getting on an unknown racehorse with someone who knows them well there on standby She galloped for years, but can't get on him as she broke her neck last year and has been banned from riding racehorses by her dr.

It's funny how they show up when you least expect it.... and/or when you have to juggle like hell to make it work... But if I like how he feels, I'll juggle whatever I have to.

Not sure on his name. The name I was given doesn't match the race history I was also given, but he has 2 3yo's by the same sire, so I Think he mixed them up. Either way, he is a Lenado Road son. We'll match his markings to his papers and then I'll knwo for sure. Lol. Doing this for all his broodmares, too!

I don't think he's bum high - I Think I just angled the pic slightly wrong. But I could be wrong If he is, well, he's 3, he'll grow Personally, I hope he doesn't put on much more height. Lol.

Anxious and wired... it's been a long time since a horse tugged at my heart... And still, I'm too much of a fool to run in the opposite direction, I Guess

More opinions always welcome

He would make my heart sing too; what a handsome fellow. I hope your ride goes well, and he becomes your new heart horse.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Hauling him home wednesday, if all goes according to plan

*swoon*

He's got that look about him, for sure; what a handsome fellow! And he looks like a sweetheart, too.

Please keep us updated! I adore OTTBs, especially big geldings with sweet eyes like your (hopefully) new guy.