The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GOOD Classical Training in the PNW

Can anyone suggest good Classical (NOT Klassical ) training in the PNW, as close to Vancouver, Canada as possible?

There is a lot of good training around here, but it is all very alike and it does not work for my horse...

I don't think she's that close to you, but Jessica Wisdom is a lovely rider, especially for green horses.

Training for you? For your horse? Both? At what level?

don't have any specific ideas that far north, but you might try going around to various barns/shows/etc and seeking out those that ride as you wish to.

there are people out there but sometimes those folks don't show, or don't advertise .... or only work with people recommended etc.

if you were in Oregon i could give you a couple names... but that far north? hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Training for you? For your horse? Both? At what level?
    Both. Horse is schooling second, I had previously schooled third/shown second on my old gelding, but we need to take a few steps back.

The horse is a very sensitive FEI prospect and is becoming explosive and unhappy in the current program, so I am looking for an alternative. Most trainers here ride with the same trainer, who is very good, but it is not working for us as they all seem to use the same methods.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedAlter View Post
    Both. Horse is schooling second, I had previously schooled third/shown second on my old gelding, but we need to take a few steps back.

The horse is a very sensitive FEI prospect and is becoming explosive and unhappy in the current program, so I am looking for an alternative. Most trainers here ride with the same trainer, who is very good, but it is not working for us as they all seem to use the same methods.
    What about Carmie Flaherty? She does ride with the "same trainer everyone does" but tends to think outside the box and has brought around some talented but troubled horses in the past and tailors the horses program to their needs.

Check with Sonja Vracko. She lives up there. I doubt she has time to do much training, but she's been up there forever and knows everyone.

If you can't find a good classical dressage instructor/trainer, you might be able to find a very high quality hunter/jumper (with a big emphasis on jumper here) trainer that actually might be able to offer you better help.

The good ones really do understand how to put their horse in front of their leg and into a soft hand. Find a jumper rider that trains using serpentines and shoulder-in/haunches-in in their *flat work*.

They also tend to work mmore hot horses and they definately understand forward which many dressage riders really do not ... even at Grand Prix level.

Cavaletti are excellent exercises for dressage horses and a jumper trainer can help you with those.

I ride with a really phenomenal dressage trainer, Kim McGuire. She's fits the "up north" criteria, but may be too far west(she's based out of Port Townsend). I know she travels some, but I'm not sure how far off of the peninsula she wanders.

I don't know the other dressage trainers in the area well enough to comment on whether she's truly different than the rest or not, but I can't recommend her highly enough for her ability to really read a horse. She's also extremely positive while still able to get her message across clearly.

what about Mike Osinski, not sure how close he is to you

Angel Robson in Aldergrove BC. She likes hot, sensitive horses. Trains like BaroquePony suggests. Forward, in front of the leg, to a soft hand. Also uses cavaletti work and some jumping. She's a good teacher and a genuinely nice person to work with. She's done a super job with my energetic sensitive mare and me.

What about Carol McArdle? She is in Oak Harbor on Whidbey. Teaches French Classical dressage and does really well with more sensitive horses. Emphasizes balance before motion. PM if you want more info.

check with Sally Collins - Collinswoodfarm.com she's a great jumper trainer with emphasis on correctly loading the hind end. she has a big jumper in her barn that sounds like he has a similar personality to your horse.

she's also well connected with good dressage trainers up north.

she might not be the final solution you're looking for but could get you down the road a piece and wouldn't be afraid to use some poles/ cavaletti to help you and your horse think out of the box.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Hello fellow BC'er!

I only really know the 'well known' upper level people in the Langley area, but I do know that Gaitpost has been advertising that somewhere in land a barn has been hosting Phillipe Karl clinics. Maybe check one out, and see how your horse reacts to his methods?

I'm certainly no classical guru, but as from what I've heard, he's as close to the 'real deal' classical training as you can get, without going to the SRS.

Quote Originally Posted by besthorsever View Post
    Angel Robson in Aldergrove BC. She likes hot, sensitive horses. Trains like BaroquePony suggests. Forward, in front of the leg, to a soft hand. Also uses cavaletti work and some jumping. She's a good teacher and a genuinely nice person to work with. She's done a super job with my energetic sensitive mare and me.
    Definately worth checking out. I've had really good experiences with Angel and her coaching.

Kim Roe is up in Whatcom somewhere... Deming maybe? She's good with the hotties too.

I am also a Langley/Vancouver person and know most of the trainers. If your horse is sensitive and you are looking for a trainer with a bit more of a lighter, patient touch, Rochelle Killberg at Hazelmere is very good. She is also a protege of the same BNT you referred to, but I find her approach to be a more sympathetic and horse friendly. Angel Robson, who was mentioned above, also trains with Rochelle. Dusty Thiessen is also very good, firm but fair. Her prices are a bit more reasonable than some of the other BNT trainers. She was a long time Dietrich Von Hopfgarten student, so her approach is very classical. She also has a lot of experience with sensitive horses. Tom Dvorak from Toronto also gives regular clinics at Pacific Passage in Ladner and he is as good as they come. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about any specific trainer in the Vancouver area, as I have ridden with most of them at one time or another!

Also, I second what Shadowfax said about Carmie Flaherty being very good.