The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone want to help me outfit my tack room?

I'm building my very first barn (eek!) and I finally have everything pinned down...except my tack room! The barn is starting at 6 stalls with the possibility of adding 4 more down the line (the beauty of going cinderblock!) so keeping that in mind, I'd love some help setting up my tack room. This is my private farm and the only horse that wouldn't be mine would belong to my barn manager if s/he has one. Ideally, I'd like between 15 and 20 bridle racks and 9 saddle racks. The room will be 12x12, 1 wall is taken up by cabinetry, a sink and a tack cleaning area, another has the door, and another has a central window. I know that I don't want to go plastic or metal for the saddle/bridle racks, but I also don't want to spend $500 for a set of three saddle racks, either! I also think it would be neat to have some sort of double door cabinet with shelves for saddle pads, boots, polos, etc. Anyone care to share their tack room designs or offer some suggestions for racks and cabinets? Thanks!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I personally love the coated metal saddle and bridle racks. Don't forget to put hooks somewhere for girths, lung lines, etc. All the stuff that doesn't go on a bridle hook.

I like the plastic shelves that can easily be taken apart for shelving. Great to put heavy stuff on the bottom and towels, saddle pads (all the daily stuff) on the middle racks with the blankets, etc on the top. There are decent metal ones too, but I like the plastic so you can easily take them out and wash.

Also, if you don't have a dedicated feed room, keep a spot in the tack room for grain storage and preparation. Metal garbage cans are great for grain. With a wall box above for meds/supplements you don't want to get lost (plus it can be locked if needed).

I love milk crates for polos, boots and bell boots. Hang them on the wall and no worries about them falling off shelves and easy to take out and clean.

Not sure if you have a grooming stall or are using the aisle, but one thing I love is the carts (rubbermaid makes them for stores) to keep all the grooming tools handy, easy to move around. milk crates on the bottom for polos, etc, brushes on the top and bottles hand on the side. Cart can be rolled into tack room at night if needed.

The Trunkman. Beautiful stuff!! I have his saddle & bridle racks. He has a website. Congrats on your new barn!!

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    The Trunkman. Beautiful stuff!! I have his saddle & bridle racks. He has a website. Congrats on your new barn!!
    WOW!! His work is absolutely GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for the link, I've already picked out everything and it came in under $1,500...I can't believe it! I've sent an email to see if he'd make a custom cabinet because I would love for the cabinet to match the racks, so hopefully he'll be able to help me out
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Congrats on the new barn! A couple of things I've seen in barns that I would want in mine were:
    1) in this one wash stall they had put in a long wash tub - I think it may have been a cattle feeder. It was great for washing out boots/wraps etc. So I'd want something like that in the wash stall.

2) my current barn has a wooden bin along one wall underneath the window. It's not so wide that you can't put trunks in front of it. It has 2 lids and that's where we all store our blankets. So you if you have room maybe you could consider that. The one we have is simply built out of plywood and 2 hinged tops out of plywood. The BM can store about 4 tack trunks in front and they aren't in the way of getting into the bin at all.

For our bridle racks we have a mixed bag of the nice metal hooks and then along one wall a very simple but nice wooden board w/ about 4 inch blocks of wood (round like a pole cut at an angle) for other bridle racks. It's painted and looks nice. Another thing would be to make some out of horseshoes - we have horseshoe hooks by the stalls for hanging up blankets to get dry or when we're riding.

Enjoy planning and again congrats on the barn!

If you won the lottery I know you could get lots of help here...

Plan for your dreams and add them when budget allows.

I would be suggesting stuff like Oriental carpets from E-Bay, but I do see that is not a priority, and it would collect sawdust, but nice touch.