The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fit of Tailored Sportsmans

Does anyone wear Tailored Sportsman's because they have to but hate the fit of them?

I wear a size 28 long, and all of the pairs are pretty tight in the waist, and loose in the legs. If I go up to a size 30, they are INSANELY loose in the legs. Even the low rise pairs sit very high on my waist because they waists are so small!

I have a pair of Ariat all-circuit breeches that fit me much better, but they are also stretchy.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, which breeches do you purchase?

Pikeurs

Have you tried the TS trophy hunter? They are looser in the waist than the other models

Yes! The TS's bite me in the waist and then are completely baggy around my calves. I agree to try the TS trophy hunter. Or, better yet the Ariat Olympia (low rise, euro seat), my current fave breech. The Ariat pants just seem to be designed more as functional athletic clothing.

I have to admit I found a few pairs of TS breeches at a local tack shop going out of business. I decided since they were on sale that I would try them on.... What a mistake! The pairs in my size I couldn'e get past my thighs and the pair a size up was NOT going past my a**! I am not a heavy person either! a little over weight for my comfort BUT I wear a 28R or 26 R in the Devon Aires which is what I usually use. (And as a farther example on how I am average I wear an 8 or 9 jean....) For what ever reason they just DO NOT like my body! So I stick to the Devon Aires when they are on sale.

Its funny that you say that because I have to go UP to 30Rs so that they fit my legs, but the waist is huge...i guess thats what happens when you are hour glass shaped :/
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!

This happens to me also, try the TS Trophy, like someone else on here said, they are actually looser in the waist, I had to go down a size then what I normally wear in TS. They also fit the rest of your body great and I love the fabric, it is stretchy and lightweight!

The first question I have is, what type of TS breeches do you have or are you trying on?

I find that my schooling breeches, Trophy Hunters, Professionals, and even some of my newer Supremes all fit about the same as my Ariat breeches (which I also love). My old Ariats (mostly Royal Hunters) are made for some alien body that most definitely doesn't belong to me. So if you're trying on the "non" stretchy (i.e. 2-way stretch) breeches, then you're trying on the really old type. I used to have to buy a size 34 to fit in the leg and then take the waist way in. In all of my newer [than 15 years ago] TS, I wear a 28 or 30.

I mostly show in my TS Professionals, but early in the week I'll also often wear my TS Schooling Breeches/Trophy Hunters. All of the TS breeches I wear regularly are as stretchy as my Ariat Pro-Circuits, and I don't notice much of a difference in fit.

My issue with the TS is that they are all cut differently so no two pairs will ever fit you the same. I have one pair of Supremes that fit me like a glove, they were like made for me. I decided to buy another pair off ebay because they were cheap and they are way too big in my thighs and way too tight in the calf. I think they also run a lot smaller than other brands and normal pants like jeans and such.

The only TS breeches that fit me are the Professionals or the Trophy Hunters and I LOVE them. The others give me a saggy badonk and/or fit like kulats. Also, I wear a 26 in the front zips and a 24 in the side zips. If you find a pair that fits, you'll love them. If not, try Pikeurs!
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by AllyandPete View Post
    Its funny that you say that because I have to go UP to 30Rs so that they fit my legs, but the waist is huge...i guess thats what happens when you are hour glass shaped :/
    I have the same problem!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2007 View Post
    I have the same problem!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyandPete View Post
    Same! It's awful.

I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem. Trying to find breeches that fit is so frustrating!

I have two pairs of Supremes. The larger size actually fits pretty nicely, maybe a little baggy in the leg and seat, but not bad. The smaller size, well it is a bit tight in the waist (which I expected because it is a smaller size), but it is super saggy in the legs and seat. Even with two pairs of the same size, one was way baggier in the seat and leg.

I thought the Trophys were cut much better -- more giving waist and less baggy in the seat and leg. I just felt like the fabric was too thin and clingy for my not thin body.

My favorite are the low rise schooling breeches. I am short and straight waisted, so they fit just right in the waist, leg and seat. There also seems to be much less variation within the size. The fabric is a bit sturdier than the Trophys, in my opinion. I am tempted to just use them to show in. I have not tried on the Professionals ... yet.

I agree with the Trophy Hunter recommendation. The mid-rise Trophy Hunters are the only TS breeches that fit me well. And Pikeurs work well for me. From the feedback I've seen on other threads about breeches, and my own experience, if your body type isn't right for TS, it is right for Pikeur.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I got some 28's Royal Hunters...yuck. NO stretch to the fabric at all. 28's in Ariats (or Riding Sports or anything else I've tried) are roomy to loose on me, but these things, I can't breathe in. Can barely zip, much less ride my horse. Look for them on ebay, y'all. LOL. And yeah, I usually wear a 6 or 7 in juniors jeans. Just yuck, is all I can say. BIG disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I agree with the Trophy Hunter recommendation. The mid-rise Trophy Hunters are the only TS breeches that fit me well. And Pikeurs work well for me. From the feedback I've seen on other threads about breeches, and my own experience, if your body type isn't right for TS, it is right for Pikeur.
    So it's like the helmets if you don't fit in a CO you will fit in a GPA ( or IRH)???

I am glad I am not the only one who had this problem!! I do remember the ones I tried were side zip....so maybe I am not made for side zip!

So from what I have gathered about TS from this thread.

~ Side zip and front zip fit differently ( why???)
    ~2 way stretch doesn't really stretch but 3 way does...or is it 4 way?? It's been a while since I have really looked at an ad....
    ~Trophys fit better then the professionals but only if you have a problem with the Professionals....
    ~ No two in the same style, color, and size are the same so you REALLY need to go to a shop to try them on and make sure you fit in them....
    ~and if you don't fit or like them at all try Pikeur.....

Ok I think I have all the rules to buying a pair of TS breeches....

I have the same problem.....I wear the same size as you also! Lol. I only purchase Ariat breeches now. Ariat breeches are the best, they are very fitting but at the same time nice and stretchy.

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one who had this problem!! I do remember the ones I tried were side zip....so maybe I am not made for side zip!

So from what I have gathered about TS from this thread.

~ Side zip and front zip fit differently ( why???)
    I'm chunky but have an hour-glass shape. I'm a perfect 36 in side-zip TS schoolies (recently picked up a pair of 2-ways cheap--OMG hell no), but a perfect 34 in front-zips. Ariats are similar--34 in fronts, 36 in sides, but I find I wear them when I'm feeling "fluffier" as they stretch more.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have found that the TS with the 4way stretch fit the best. Not too small of a waist nor too baggy in the legs.

TS are a bad word.... LOL

Ariat Performa's. I never liked side zips until now. They are perfect, and no annoying velcro tab at the bottom! Comfy!!!

Also, try the Romfh breeches, not the biggest name brand ( I think I bought my first ever pair of Romfh's by accident ), but they are comfy and inexpensive! They have a cool feel...