The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What color (if any) show shirt do you wear with your grey?

A few girls and I were talking about our outfits for an upcoming show..and it got me thinking, does anyone wear a colored/patterned (obviously very subtly, I would think) with their grey/flea bitten grey?
    I usually stick to white but would love to see photos of people competing their greys with something other than the classic white shirt!
    Friend of bar.ka

I wore light pink or french blue with navy coat

Not exactly a grey/flea bitten grey but I figured I'd share....

Olive coat with purple shirt: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2010/molly.jpg

Navy coat with blue shirt: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...011/molly2.jpg

I personally like dark coats on grey horses. Then depending on the exact coloring pattern I like different shirt colors. I like the bold blue on my horse becasuse she has darker spots on her. A nice soft color would look good on most greys. Or just stick with white. You can never go wrong with a white show shirt

OK, your subject line gave me a quick giggle. I interpreted the "if any" as if this person is debating whether to wear a shirt, at all, under their jacket.

hehehee

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I have a fleabitten grey and pretty much just stick with blue show shirt with navy jacket or white shirt, as I don't like pink and navy coats. Did you mean gray show coats with a grey horse? I can't decide if I'd like that or if it'd look too washed out. Personally, I hate the white fuzzy pad on him in the hunter ring. He's already grey and the fuzzy is so boring.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

I have a pale lavender patterned Essex shirt that looks SO nice w/ my dappled (now fleabitten grey). From far away it's pale and conservative, but it makes me feel prettier and more feminine than white

my daughter rides a grey and she wears every color on him, but I especially like light pink shirt and medium grey coat. Granted she is 8 yrs old but I think just about any color colors look on a grey. Now try to match a palomino...

LOL I knew I'd get something for the subject line...but I wasn't exactly sure how to word it.

I almost always wear the white shirt, navy coat combo..but feel like I should jazz it up a bit, especially because I'm moving up a division this next weekend! I like the pale blue and lavender suggestions, horseloverz has a few on sale for $16, so why not!
    Last edited by LunaTheGreyMare; Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: grammar
    Friend of bar.ka

Not sure if this link is going to work, because I've never done this before, but it is a photo of my trainer showing my grey mare in a blue shirt. She, also, has a lovely lilac one, she shows her in sometimes, as well as plain white. I show in a pink with a white and faint blue blue stripe and a plain pink shirt. I have a navy pinstripe jacket.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

Another look at the blue shirt.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

Smile

Love This subject ! My JR Hunter was a Grey we showed in the late 90's . For the finals I had Grey coat it was a deep charcoal color , grey shirt with small blk stripe and a tiny red stripe . I had the monogram of the color a bold one letter red ! Looked sweat!

I have a 5 year old dapple grey who is filling the shoes of my JR Hunter. He has a brown tinge brown coat pink jacket .
    Other combo's that work well classic navy jacket blue shirt stripped shirt , purple shirt grey jacket.

My Children's pony was grey early 90's green jacket ( they were so IN!) white shirt , canary yellow .

My Mini, SS pony was a flea bitten sassy Farnley pony . 85 ish? I dare say rust jods white shirt navy jacket , beige jods beige colored shirt brown jacket.

Can you tell I have a thing for Grey's ? Lol I have own a bay right now . When I show my current horses I try to wear what works for everyone ! Brown jacket pink shirt my TS's . Seriously thinking about getting a Brown helmet tried a brown GPA fell in love . It looked sweet with my blonde hair ...

Any color will pretty much go w/ a grey so more importantly what color is your jacket?

I always wear some form of grey jacket on a flea bitten grey horse.... with a light blue or purple shirt. Here is a picture from today.... don't mind the look on both of our faces (pretty much sums up our feelings about showing in the mud and rain) but it shows the color of shirt/jacket/horse.

ETA: forgot to post the link.... here it is:
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4454123_n.jpg
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    OK, your subject line gave me a quick giggle. I interpreted the "if any" as if this person is debating whether to wear a shirt, at all, under their jacket.
    Nope, I had the exact same thought My next thought was they were asking what color shirt to wear with a gray coat.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

I think pretty much everything looks good on my semi-dappled/semi-fleabitten gray. He's so darn cute, I don't think anyone cares what I look like haha!

I rotate a navy coat and medium gray coat, and purple, blue and white shirts.

Here is the blue/navy combo:
    http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...3/NewImage.jpg

And the gray/purple combo:
    http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...n03/SFShow.jpg
    Last edited by Jersey Fresh; Aug. 22, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

This is how I used to dress when I showd my grey mare:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...81493090ybFqVj

a "french blue" short, navy pin striped (subtle) Grand prix jacket and hunter greenish/beige breeches. Might be "out of style" now but I like how it looked, this was taken in 2004

Shawne Acres-I really love that outfit on that horse. It looks great. I really liked the dark gray coat of Jersey Fresh, too.

I, personally, never wear a show shirt with a grey.

However, I do happen to think that pretty much any color but tan/brown looks nice with grey. If you have the complexion for it, one of my favorite color combinations right now is yellow with grey. But light pink, lavendar, light blue, light green... all would look nice.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I have a flea-bitten gray, and I have worn the following combinations:
    Navy coat 1 - Pink shirt or white shirt with burgundy window pane
    Navy coat 2- pale green window pane shirt
    Gray coat - lavender shirt
    Brown coat - robin-egg blue shirt (actually bought the coat to match the shirt)

The brown coat looks surprising good with him and the gray coat is a dark charcoal gray.

I don't know if this link will work or not - gray coat with lavender shirt

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=1&theater
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Any color is fine, though I would probably avoid yellow as it might bring out, ahem, any yellowing in the horse's coat.

I had a mauve/pale burgundy shirt back in the day that looked nice with my grey (I'm a dark brunette).