The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default duett saddles

Anybody use a duett on their wide flat backed horses? I keep seeing them mentioned as an option for a horse with that build, but while the front of the saddle has a nice hoop shape to it, the channel of the saddles seem to get narrower towards the back as well as the panels seem to have a really round shape to them. Does this shape really work on a flat backed horse?

I use one on my wide backed paint. We tried lots of saddles, more expensive than a duett, but the horse hated them all. Saddle fitters would say that the saddles fit the horse but the horse was having none of it. It was a chiro that reccomended the duett and the horse loved it. Try one. I have the dressage and this fall may buy an all purpose but it again will be a duett for this specific horse.

I have the Fox Hunter model (which is basically an all purpose) that I use for trail riding. It fits my wide Belgian/ T'bred cross nicely and is comfy for me on my several hour trail rides.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have one too and not only does it fit my draft crosses, I have found it fits a wide range of horses b/c of the wider channels. I have ridden my QH in it, and he's a more slabsided but funny shaped horse, without any issues.

I ride my draftie in one and it works really well with him. I don't think the gullet gets all that narrow to the back (stays pretty wide, actually), especially compared to some other saddles I've seen that actually do get narrower as they go along.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I love mine, and it does fine on my wide, flat-backed QH. The channel on mine doesn't narrow towards the back.

Woodrow, my Mustang, wears a 38cm Duett Fidelio. He loves it, and so do I. The channel on mine doesn't narrow, either.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

We had one for our Highland Pony. The Duett rep came to our farm and measured for the right fit. The saddle arrived as promised, fit like a dream and is very high quality for a reasonable price. We got the a/p.

Is the leather pretty decent quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Is the leather pretty decent quality?
    I think the leather is better quality than what you find on most saddles of that price range. It is not, however, butter soft French leather that many people have become used to. It's "real" leather that's made to stand up to some abuse. They hold up fabulously and break in wonderfully.

I would not hesitate to get a Duett, I had one on trial that was too wide for my boy and kept meaning to try a smaller one. I'm not sure where you saw that the gullet narrows. If you look on their website, they even have a photo of the "four finger test". (Four fingers in the back of the gullet.) They are known for fitting wide horses, and they do it well.

I do like my french leather, but they don't seem to hold up as long, or at least the used toulouse saddles with their calfskin don't.

I also read that the twist on these can be wider than most, did anybody find the twist uncomfortable?

I also read that the twist on these can be wider than most, did anybody find the twist uncomfortable?
    I don't, but I'm 5'9" with really long thighs. My elfin little RI says it about splits her in two.

I noticed a difference between my Duett and other saddles I've ridden in, but I got used to it pretty quickly and I think it's a very comfortable saddle. (I have the Companion Trail model).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Well I am 5'7'' so hopefully I won't feel split in half!! I think I might go for it when the seller gets back to me. I am a little worried that it might be too wide though, but I guess better too wide than too narrow!

I have tried a Duett dressage saddle, pretty sure it was the Largo, but the twist was too wide for me, the saddle fit my wide, flat mare well but my inner thigh felt bruised by halfway around the arena.

I wonder if the twist on different models is different?

I'm only 5'4'' and the saddle was a little wide but it was easy to get use to esp if the horse was happy. I'm more concerned about the comfort of my horse.

I am a little worried that it might be too wide though, but I guess better too wide than too narrow!
    True. I use my Duett Rondo with a sheepskin half-pad with a hole cut out for the wither, and find it fits a surprising number of horses. No shark-fin TBs, naturally, but most of the QH types.

I have a friend who has two and is trying to sell one only because she has some serious vet bills to pay. I've ridden in it on her very wide Paint - she has one of the dressage models and although the twist is wider than my CC saddles, I found it to be quite comfortable. It's also proved to be quite durable and has worn quite well over several years. If I had a wider horse, I wouldn't hesitate to look into a Duett.

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    I'm only 5'4'' and the saddle was a little wide but it was easy to get use to esp if the horse was happy. I'm more concerned about the comfort of my horse.
    Are you my twin?

I was a little worried the twist would be too wide, but the Duett now just feels "like home" when I sit in it , especially after I ride in my Crates western saddle. Now that DH gave me his mule, I'm going to try the Duett on Gambler...
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

I don't really care for saddles with a wide twist which is why I can't do western saddles very well. My pubic bones get bruised! I shied away from the toulouse octavio because it had a super wide twist on it, sat in it for thirty seconds and I was feeling sore! I guess if it fits her well and she is happy I will just deal with it. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the octavio.