The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Default Durable, affordable medium weight turnout blanket?

I searched for turnout blankets but didn't turn much up. I'm currently debating a SmartPak Deluxe High Neck vs an Orican Freestyle High Neck for my first horse. I'm looking for something pretty affordable, but durable (but then again, who isn't?) since this is my first horse, I'm a little lost. If all else fails, I guess I could just pick the prettiest pattern
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I love my Open Range turnouts from Smith Brothers, and they are on sale right now (just got the catalog in the mail today) for 99.95. I'm going on year 3 with mine, and they look brand new. They are also easy to deal with to put on and take off, with clips on the chest straps, no buckled to fumble with, especially when wearing winter gloves.

And I love the fit, they have a high neck, and they fit all 3 of my horses who all have very different body styles.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I ordered Weatherbeeta Orican medium-weight turnouts the first (and so far only) time I ever bought blankets. I found what I wanted in a catalog and the owner of our local tack shop ordered them for me. That was 6 years ago and the one we still have is going strong (the other one left with its wearer some years ago). They are not the high-neck ones. The only thing I wish they had are snaps on the chest straps instead of just buckles. So much easier to adjust the buckle and then use the snaps than to have unbuckle and buckle every time. But other than that, I love them. They have HUGE tail flaps, great in cold windy weather!

This is what I ordered:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=758877065

But I have blanketed with just about every blanket I can think of, and the only ones I don't like are the closed-front ones and the ones with metal toggles, instead of snaps or buckles, on the chest straps.

And no one I know has Baker blankets, if that is a reverse recommendation.

I'd go with the Weatherbeeta Orican!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I have a Weatherbeeta Landa Lite that I bought several years ago and I have been quite happy with it. It's waterproof, has shoulder gussets and a tail flap, and has really fit my big-bodied (warmblood-y) Thoroughbred boys well. Granted, it doesn't get a ton of use since I live in Miami (although we do put sheets on if it's in the low 50s/high 40s, lol), but I've used it for three winters and it still looks brand-new. If it's really cold out, I just put my Schneider's fleece blanket liner underneath it (I'm a big fan of the Schneider's products, too -- quality stuff at an affordable price -- you might want to check them out @ www.sstack.com).

As far as the Smartpak blankets/sheets go, I'm really not a fan. I haven't seen any of this year's models, but I have a friend who bought a sheet and blanket from them a few years ago and the quality was not so great. The fly sheets seem pretty decent, but they're made by Kensington.

I like the Centaur blankets. Cheap and durable (if you get the 1200 denier version). They fit my horse nicely, too. IMO the most bang for your buck.

This one's on sale at SmartPak right now. http://www.smartpakequine.com/1200d-...x?cm_vc=Search That's cheaper than I could find it on ebay.

The Schneiders blankets are good, too. I have one of their 1680D turnouts and it's definitely the most solid one I have. Very durable, but a little pricier. Sometimes you can get last year's model on sale, though.

LOVE Schneiders' blanket liners for layering. Super cheap, and they have slots for your regular blanket's leg straps to go through. Plus you can wash them easily in your washing machine at home.

I ended up needing to buy several of the Smartpak blankets last season. They held up GREAT and the boys wearing them play hard and are tough on rugs. The price is great, they fit well without slipping (every Weatherbeeta I've ever used has always twisted), and they look nice, too.

I think durability has alot to do with how well the particular blanket style fits your horse. So your best research is on what's going to fit a horse shaped like yours.
    My guy used to shred blankets, several a season Then I got him a fitted turnout blanket from www.sstack.com and it's been over 5 years and it still cleans off looking brand new. I think they are having a sale right now. I have the new briton belly band turnout
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I've found the smartpak ones to hold up great. I plan to buy more this year to replace the ones I have misplaced

I love the smartpak ones!!! I am slowly replacing all of my blankets. The boys play hard and love to drag each other around by their blankets ( no halters since they got too carried away with halter tag!!!!) I have never had a problem with them holding up in fact my older boy wears an amigo stable blanket under his turnout and I am always getting that one repaired!!!!!

New boy is starting out with all new smartpak blankets!

SmartPak has better customer service to stand behind any warranty than WeatherBeeta. If anything happens to a WB, be prepared to not have them replace it.

If you can find the Pessoa Tundra line on sale, they rock. I got mine for a bit over $100 last year on TOTD. If I ever find them for that price again, I'm buying several. IMO they are totally worth the retail price though, and I've had some pricey blankets. I just can't afford the retail price

I have weatherbetta dover pessoa schneiders and some from TOTD and the best ones that have held up to my destructive young gelding along with our wet winters and stayed waterproof are the schneiders. Plus the warranty on the 1200 denier blankets is great and you get a storage bag. They run true to size and you can buy three for the cost of two of most other brands. The v free fit allows for shoulder adjustment and really fits well. Plus they have the same blankets to fit horses like arabs that are shaped differently.

Also I am sure the SP blankets are great as I love anything SP but can't see spending $100+ on blankets now that I have see the schneiders in action.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I have just about every brand of blanket..from WB to Rambo. Different horses different blankets depending on build.
    For an inexpensive, decent blanket, I think the WB saxons are well priced. They last and are decent blankets.

I don't like the high neck, but that is me or my horses. Is there a reason you want to go high neck?

If you have a standard size horse, I think the WB's are the best..either the orican, landa or saxon.

Personally, I don't care for customer service at sstack, aka schneiders. Plus, didn't like the fit and the weather proofing didn't last very long.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I like my Turtleneck blankets (Ice) and will be getting their Mud turtleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    I like my Turtleneck blankets (Ice) and will be getting their Mud turtleneck.
    I liked mine too, until they stopped answering the phone, and replied once to my email, then never again. Guess I'm not getting my sheet replaced under their warranty either!

I don't know what it is about companies who refuse to stand behind their products. Maybe I just get the short end of the stick with all of them.

i like the orican freestyle high necks. i get the front sewn shut because my tb's roll alot and get the chest flaps turned in.

i really like the whither padding.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I just like the high-neck a little better, not the fully high-necked ones, just the ones that come up a little more on their necks because my TB likes to roll and stand in the rain and is a bit of a delicate flower.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

I just took a break from my sewing machine...doing blanket repairs. If you don't want to go the Rambo route (not Rhino or Amigo).....I do have to say that the Dover turnouts stand up pretty well. My only complaint (and this goes for a lot of the makers)...the lining material is like tissue paper .
    Last edited by Catmando; Aug. 22, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CrackTheLatch View Post
    I just like the high-neck a little better, not the fully high-necked ones, just the ones that come up a little more on their necks because my TB likes to roll and stand in the rain and is a bit of a delicate flower.
    Me too. At some point in the last few years I started getting some Rambo Wugs in the barn, and I just love the way they fit and that rain, etc, doesn't just run down the front of their chests. Now all I need is Smartpak to make their high neck in a light weight, and I will be all set!

Boy loves his Amigo LW and MW turnouts. They are going on winter #4, still wash up great and wear like iron.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.2h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

The only ones that I have ever had good luck with are Weatherbeetas and Rambos. I have some Weatherbeetas going winter #12 and still are in great shape - no the waterproofing is gone at that point but they still serve as excellent underlayers. I did buy some Rambo turnout sheets for the rainy days as those hold up extremely well to rain whereas the WB's lost it after a few years. So my choice is Weatherbeeta if you are trying to stay on a budget and Rambo if you are concerned w/ long-term waterproofing . I should add that I too like the high-neck blankets especially when it rains - keeps the water from dripping down to their shoulders .

(I did buy some Schneiders a few years ago and those were the absolutely the worst sheets ever - total waste of money!!!)
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England