The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would you critique photos, video & pedigree for this 4y/o OTTB? UPDATE

I'd appreciate some critique on this gelding. He's a 4 y/o TB gelding by Giacomo with track training but no starts. Nice mind, sweet mellow guy who sounds easy going and kind. Trainer/owner has offered to bring him to me for a few weeks before I decide to vet/purchase, a sweetheart deal for me & not much to lose. Intended use would be lower level eventing.

Video is poor, but it's all I'm going to get. Not excited about his movement as shown in video. Would welcome your input & critique. Thanks!

Pedigree

Photos

Trot video
    Walk video
    More walk video
    Canter video
    Last edited by Watermark Farm; Oct. 31, 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added video

He's pretty cute!! May be the pics, but he almost looks a bit sickle hocked - not too big of a deal for lower level but not too desirable - can sometimes mean more maintenance down the road. But he's definitely worth the try! I'm a sucker for nice greys anyway

He sure doesn't look like he's a hard keeper!

Overall impression of balance, "fits in a box" and his parts divide in equal thirds. Very good shoulder.

Two concerns from the still photos. Long, weak pasterns in front, and slightly knock kneed. The knock knee is more pronounced on the RF. Neither of these are a "Run away - don't buy him!" They're more of an "If you buy him, be aware and be careful while conditioning him because of these things."

From the movement video, good walk with overtrack and potential for more. Moves close both front and behind. May interfere and might benefit from a good farrier.

Trot is rapid and he's traveling very hollow, impossible to judge. Ditto with the canter.

If you can't buy a young horse with sport horse breeding, and you're looking at OTTBs to reclaim, then he's one of the nicer OTTBs I've seen in a while.

If his disposition is as it seems, he may well make up into a nice local horse. As a reclaim project, I like the fact that he doesn't have any starts. Does he have a gate card? Is he tatooed? I'd also want to find out why he's leaving the track. Best answers are that he's too slow or not competitive.
    Last edited by McGurk; Oct. 25, 2012 at 07:16 AM.

Tough to turn down the chance to "play with him" for a time before deciding.

Get answers about why they are not pursuing a race career and if you really love him get him vetted. Be sure vet comments sync up with trainer/seller comments.

Last, don't get attached to him. If you get him home and just don't "click" don't force it. It appears that he's at a decent place and that the sellers don't see you as the last stop before Mexico. He's not a "rescue" he's a sale horse. There are plenty of lovely TB's out there and another may suit you more.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

He certainly goes to his top line (The axe/etc). Looks like the footing is hard (?). Has hindlegs which serve jumping more than flat work. See if you can play with him first, and xray the front feet.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    I'd also want to find out why he's leaving the track. Best answers are that he's too slow or not competitive.
    The very reputable owners are part-time racing people who do the fair circuit in summer and are TB transporters the rest of the year (hence the horse's name, "Parking It," because horse races when they park their big rig for the summer...). They got him his 3 yo year and didn't race him due to personal reasons, his 4yo year he got a respiratory bug and by the time he recovered fair season was over. After two challenging years they've decided to hang up their racing silks for good.

The owners seem like really decent, responsible horsemen who are trying to place their 4-5 horses, plus as transporters they have the nice option of hauling him 2 states to me for trial. They have been super up-front with me about this horse's history and pros and cons.

I like him but the movement shown in his video just doesn't excite me. Maybe it's the footing, or maybe it's because he's running around rushed and hollow. Or maybe he's best suited as a polo horse or barrel racer, LOL.

Don't worry about his movement so much.

I like him. He has a wonderful pedigree too...too bad he's not a mare

He's cute. Looks to have a nice balance and canter and I bet his trot will improve. You can't tell much when their tail is over their back pinging around a field but what I did see was that he will be fine for eventing. The mind and the jump are much more important than a super fancy trot. His trot will be nice enough....and by his conformation and pedigree....I'd expect him to certainly be able to jump well enough for lower level eventing.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

If you like his walk, then give him a go

Consider, if he doesn't suit, would you be able to assist placing him locally? (would the current owners be interested in this?)

he's cute!
    he's behind at the knee--which is my one "no no" but for gray and cute and easy keeper and nice top line I might take him on trial.

He moves so crappy in those videos it's hard to tell anything.
    He looks like a dang pony.

That might change a lot when you put a dictator on top of him!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

He's cute!!! I have a Holy Bull baby and I can't say enough good things about his brain!!!! And his scope.

I say go for it!! I would scoop him up if I could afford another horse!!

I don't think he's behind the knees look at all the phot's only one hints at it.
    I personally think he is a tad upright in the pasturns....

There is absolutely no way tell a single thing from any of those video's period.
    If you like him go for it..you saw him we didn't...
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Oct. 22, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    He moves so crappy in those videos it's hard to tell anything.
    He looks like a dang pony.
    That's what I thought.

Just talked to owner and he's shipping this guy down to me (WA to CA) end of week. I can keep him for 2 weeks and if I don't like him send him back or find someone else for him. Gotta love a seller with a horse transport business!

Found out the horse is barefoot and that the summer's racing shoes were just left on to fall off, so feet are rough and this guy needs a decent trim and shoes.

Thanks for all your input COTH & I'll update as to outcome.

Just talked to owner and he's shipping this guy down to me (WA to CA) end of week. I can keep him for 2 weeks
    Congratulations

- if nothing else, you can get him some decent video

... over the next 2 years

Well, the grey arrived last Friday. He has the most mellow, lovely temperament. Eager to please, sweet, smart, easy going, trusting. Great mind. Everything you want and more.

But physically.... ugh! I've rescued/rehabbed a number of horses, including OTTBs, but I've honestly never dealt with such a bodysore, wracked horse in my life.

The photos suggested knock knees and he is very mildly knock-knee FL and more pronounced FR. He's also back at the knees, with the FR being more pronounced. Overall, his legs bother me, they do not appear to be good underpinning. They seem too short and spindly for such a substantial body. Cannon bone seems too fine. He is not a jumping candidate.

But I guess that's not the worst. The videos I posted showed a horse who was incredibly tight in the back, with horrendous movement. In the photos, he appeared "chunky" but it's not fat -- it's muscle. In person, his lower muscles are way overdeveloped for a horse who has been out to pasture for several months. Like he uses them to kind of "pull" himself along. Things like hamstrings, quads, shoulder and foreleg muscles are big. As in, he looks like he's been on steroids. Trot & canter are tough to watch, he's inverted and pins his ears right before he makes an upward transition.

I had my bodyworker work on him yesterday. She said he's a hot mess and we both agreed there are way too many red flags. That said, she worked on him for an hour and his body responded incredibly fast.

I'm having my chiropractor work on him next week (with owner's permission). His back from withers to rump is like a giant board, zero movement there. Rib cage is visibly pushed to the right. His movement is that of a horse who lives with a lot of discomfort.

I am not going to buy him. But I'm going to provide him with some chiro and bodywork over the few weeks he'll be with me in order to relieve some of his discomfort. His owner is fine with this. I think this horse could be good for trail/lower level dressage. I think it's possible his body soreness issues could be sorted out over time and I don't think this horse is a total loss at all, but I'm just not looking for this type of project at this point in my life.

Back to the horse shopping drawing board...

1 members found this post helpful.

So sorry that he's not the right guy for you, but better to find out now than after you've put substantial time and $$ into him. It's good that you got to spend some time with him without making a commitment. Hope you can help him get more comfortable and find him the right sort of home.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for posting the update.

What you've discovered makes the movement in the video make a lot more sense.

So glad you're investing the chiro and body work in him. Hope he finds a good, suitable home and (another) soft place to land.