The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stall Fans

Well, we live in he DEEP south where it is really hot and muggy in the summer. We never used box fans in the stalls but went one step up (20" round fans with wire basket). That said, it seems that we still have to replace them every two years and they don't really provide full coverage for a 12' x 12' stall anyway. Also, I'm a bit concerned about fire. Can anyone recommend a good stall fan that will last more than two years, that will provide lots of air movement and that will be safe? I am willing to spend up to $150 per fan if that helps. Thanks.

QC supply. I have the 18 inch Durafan. Indoor/outdoor, wall mountable, we put them on the top of the center aisle stall wall, very easy. These fans move a good amount of air and are pretty quiet.

I bought a $69 floor fan from Home Depot, the brand emblem has fallen off but it is a wire-caged 5 blade fan, 23" in diameter and maybe 3.5" deep.

It has 3 speeds and lasted all last summer, on 24/7. The stall was 18x18 in a CMU barn and the horse ended up standing in front of it to get the most air, but my boarder friend and I (who had the same fan) clearly had the happiest horses in the place. Everyone else went with the cheap-o plastic box fan.

I don't see it on the HD site now but it was clearly a workshop model that sat on the floor, not "pretty" for in-home use. Though round, the little stand and wire cage made it really easy to put up -- upside-down and hanging over the fence, tied to reinforce.

The electronics seemed well sealed, which was a priority. It's up this summer but horse seems OK without it.

I puchased 2 18' air king fans this summer. One is on the floor and one is hanging from a loop de loo attached to an eye hook on a rafter and it has become a circulating fan!

They move a lot of air, and cost $95 or so including shipping. The motors were enclosed, which is a safety concern(not having enclosed motors).

I am very happy with them. Although only used this year, I would expect them to last for quite a few years.
    I will dust them off, and put them away in their boxes for the winter.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

They only last so long with continual use. I have found they do last longer if you clean them periodically. They tend to get rather dusty, so brush off the dust and the fan also blows more air when clean.

the round wire basket type is far superior to the box fans as they blow alot more air and last longer.