The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Holsteiner breeders - what can you tell me about Newton?

So according to horsetelex Newton is registered Holst but is out of a KWPN mare. Another source I found shows the dam as dual registered, with both Holst and KWPN registration numbers. How did that happen?

And while Nimmerdor is registered KWPN and licensed Holst, I recall he descends from one of the oldest Holst lines, going back to Achill (is that the 1849 model?). Stamm 19 (that of the 1849 model) and 268 (that of the 1877 linebred descendent found in Nimmerdor's pedigree) seem to have pretty much vanished.

How are Newton, and more importantly his progeny, regarded?

Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Hey Jim ,

I don't hear or see much from Newton. He is bred well coming from the Lord stamm and the grandmother Fiance , is the full sister of Lord. I've seen a few Newtons in the auctions and I wasn't that impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nod Hill Farm View Post
    So according to horsetelex Newton is registered Holst but is out of a KWPN mare. Another source I found shows the dam as dual registered, with both Holst and KWPN registration numbers. How did that happen?
    It happens fairly frequently - KWPN has a different Life Number system than Germany, so breeding animals sold to Holland are re-issued new KWPN numbers. Another example is Contango - bred, born and registered in Oldenburg (33-05010-88), then sold to Holland and re-registered with KWPN (88.8571). And Gribaldi, who was registered in Germany as a Trakehner, then re-registered in Holland with KWPN.

Here is what HorseTelex has on Newton's offspring: http://www.horsetelex.com/progeny.php?horseid=30796

Morningside Stud, Ogonnelloe, Co. Clare, Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    It happens fairly frequently - KWPN has a different Life Number system than Germany, so breeding animals sold to Holland are re-issued new KWPN numbers. Another example is Contango - bred, born and registered in Oldenburg (33-05010-88), then sold to Holland and re-registered with KWPN (88.8571). And Gribaldi, who was registered in Germany as a Trakehner, then re-registered in Holland with KWPN.
    DownYonder's observation is partly correct; the major problem is the verb tense.

Until a few years ago many studbooks in Europe would issue a new registration number (not a Life Number but a registration number) when a breeding animal was imported. This meant that a stallion, let's say, approved by six studbooks could conceivably have six different registration numbers.

Beginning several years ago within the EU new laws were implemented that required a UELN (Unique Equine Life Number) to be issued to each newly born foal. The UELN is a 15 digit code with the first three numbers identying the country of registration, the next three the studbook, and the remainder being available for what used to be called the registration number. The law now states that every foal must be registered and issued a passport and UELN on or before 31 December of the year of birth or the foal's six month birthday, whichever is later.

This UELN is designed to improve traceability of horses for disease control per se and for disease control related to human consumption of horse meat.

Bottom line: now in the EU every foal gets a UELN and studbooks are required to use this UELN in their database and registration systems -- and not issue new registration numbers if the stallion or mare enters that studbook's breeding population.