The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Opinions Needed!

These are pictures of a co-workers trailer. An idiot in her neighborhood wasn't paying attention and ran into it the other day.

Question: Would you let the insurance company fix the trailer or demand a new one? This trailer is only 4 months old.

Thanks!

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/47...425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/47...425x425Q85.jpg
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

You can't "demand" a new one. It's like your car, the cost of repair has to be higher than a certain percentage of the value no matter if it's a day old or 10 years old. So, if trailer is say valued at 10k, you'd probably need over 8500 in damage to total it. Different companies may have different percentages they use, but it's all the same. Company will replace it only if repair cost is higher than the percentage of a total.

It would really piss me off though to have such a new trailer damaged like that! What an idiot!

I guess I used the wrong word. I know you can't "demand" an insurance company replace it. DOH!

This idiot hit the trailer so hard he moved it from it's parking spot on the curb (she lives in a single family/condo development) up into the bushes, bending the jack stand up underneath the tongue and scraping the bottom on the trailer on the curb. She's going to have an adjuster out to look at it and I just thought of something. She should probably have it towed to a trailer dealer for an estimate.

Basically, I want to know if anyone (just from looking at the pictures) thinks it's worth fixing the trailer. Would you feel comfortable putting your horses back in a trailer that's had this much damage (after repairs, of course)?

If the frame is evaluated and found to be OK, the rest is basically cosmetic damage .... the side walls / door can be replaced. I would have no issues with repairing walls and doors. A damaged frame, particularly if it is an aluminum frame, would make me think two or three times.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I'm a claims manager for an insurance company -

The person who hit the trailer needs to submit the claim under THEIR insurance, not the owner of the trailer. The trailer didn't hit them, THEY hit the trailer.

Let them pay their deductible and fix it for your friend.

If she's concerned about the frame, etc, let her tell that to the adjuster when they inspect and voice that to the body shop as well. They will do a total loss if it seems the frame is repairable, but not safe for use.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Wink Damaged Trailer

Hey all. I am the one with damaged trailer. I tried to file through the other persons insurance but these are the problems.

1. Ira (son, about 30 years old) was driving and is not listed on the policy (he is not the policy holder);
    2. Robert (father) is the owner and is the policy holder;
    3. Filed with their insurance Farmers and was told they are not answering the telephone, replying to mail, etc.;
    4. Trailer was towed the same day and IF Farmers does not get in contact with them to verify that the father authorized his son to drive the vehicle, then they won't cover the trailer or tow bill;
    5. The tow bill is presently $700.00. They had to winch the truck off of the trailer, then winch the trailer off of the curb; and
    6. They never tell you when the adjuster is going because they have so many vehicles to review that they make a tentative appointment, so when they get there, they get there.

Sorry to be so long winded....now.........

So what I did was take the claim from them and had my insurance, State Farm handle it. This way I don't get stuck with a tow bill of whatever the amount is.

I also called the manufacture and although I have only had my trailer for four months, they valued it at 12,500. This is about $2000, less than I paid for it.

This is my first trailer and a factory ordered customized trailer at that, so I am going to think real long and hard about whether I want to buy new again or if I will go nused next time. I only used the trailer about 3 or 4 times, so I am very disappointed in the depreciation/lack of remaining value.

Now that you all know the entire story does anyone have any changes additions to their comments. All are welcome. Thanks guys.

Moral - Don't buy Farmer's Insurance cause they won't do diddly.

I have never heard of an adjuster saying "I'll get there when I get there." We stress to all adjusters assigned to our claims (we're a brokerage so we deal with many big name carriers) that they are to contact the insured within 24-48hrs of claim submittal and inspect within that week or at a time arranged by the insured/claimant (depending if it's a house or car). If the car is at the bodyshop, the adjuster shouldn't need to arrange a time, just go straight to the bodyshop within that week. I personally follow up with our adjuster's and insureds to be sure everyone's been contacted/inspected by the end of the reporting week.

It's unfortunate you had to turn it into State Farm, but hopefully they will be able to subrogate this for you and get the monies back from Farmer's. It will definitely take much longer this way to have it all settled though.

I'm actually going to show this claim to our President as well. It's a good learning example I think.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Default Trailer Damage

You are right. The one good thing about State Farm is that they will fix/total the trailer and I won't have to wait and then they will go and deal with Farmers or their insured after I am taken care of.

Also RXCate, attached is a photo of where the trailer started (in the street) and ended (on the sidewalk in the bushes).

Default More pictures of MsChevy's trailer....

Holy Cow! He must've been flying or had a very large vehicle to push it up over the curb and out that far!

Did anyone call the police, or was it a hit & run? Having police documentation is always good especially when you can't get in touch with the claimant b/c it excludes any "he said/she said." But you also have very good pictures thankfully.

I would let State Farm continue and go through with their subrogation attempts and we can just hope they can get something out of Farmers.

I just can't get over Farmers' comment about "we'll get there when we get there." How rude and doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling!
    Friend of bar.ka!

The police came to my house and woke me out of my bed at 6:45 am. I thought something had happened to someone in my family. The driver was gone when I arrived, because he had been arrested for driving on a suspended license. He was driving a 2001 Nissan Frontier which I pretty much think is totaled.

Thank you everyone. Have a good day. I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by msChevy007 View Post
    I also called the manufacture and although I have only had my trailer for four months, they valued it at 12,500. This is about $2000, less than I paid for it.

This is my first trailer and a factory ordered customized trailer at that, so I am going to think real long and hard about whether I want to buy new again or if I will go nused next time. I only used the trailer about 3 or 4 times, so I am very disappointed in the depreciation/lack of remaining value.
    Sorry, that's how buying new works. My mother bought a brand new Civic (3 miles on the odometer) and decided a month later (300 miles on the odometer) that she didn't really like it and wanted to trade it in. $20,000 car is now worth $15,000 trade in, 300 miles later. Guess who's still driving the Civic?

Buying new is NEVER a good investment. It is great if you really want a new car/new trailer/new whatever that someone else has never touched. In your case you wanted new because you wanted custom. But any consumer magazine will tell you not to buy new if you want it to make a smart financial purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by msChevy007 View Post
    You are right. The one good thing about State Farm is that they will fix/total the trailer and I won't have to wait and then they will go and deal with Farmers or their insured after I am taken care of.
    Yep, as mentioned by another poster, having your own insurance agency handle it will slow down the process, but sometimes it's worth it. I was rear-ended at a stop light, and while the other guy's insurance company did contact me, they were incredibly rude and belittling to me, probably because I am younger and they thought they could get away with a substandard response. I immediately turned it over to my insurance company, who got me my full and deserved payment and I didn't have to deal with the other guy's rude agency. Hey, that's what I pay mine for!

However, you and the OP keep mentioning the trailer being "totalled" and getting a new one. From the pictures, unless the frame is bent, prepare yourself for that being a very unlikely situation. An item (car/trailer/house/etc) is only totalled if the cost of the repairs outweighs the value of the item. There isn't $12,500 worth of damage there, so you won't be getting a new trailer.

And yes, once it's repaired, I would feel perfectly safe putting my horse in there. It's mainly just cosmetic damage, the skin of the trailer shoved back. The jack is not a major deal, $200.00 probably for a new one.

It's not always if the damage outweighs the value.

My best friend was hit head-on and totaled her 3yr old F-150. It had over $10,000 in estimated damages to it, but was still worth about $24,000. The company at first wanted to just fix it, but I advised her to push back because, as it happened, her entire frame was bent, and even if that wasn't the case, I would not want to drive a car that had to have $10,000 worth of repairs. Her insurance company (I believe it was Geico) did end up just totalling her car and writing her a check after that.

She now has a nice shiny new F-150.
    Friend of bar.ka!

Default Horse Trailer Accident Update

Took the trailer back to the manufacturer and they are adding up the numbers, but said it appears to be totaled simply based on frame damage alone. Good 2011 trailer. Hello 2012 trailer.

Sorry to hear about your wreck. That sucks! All I can say is be thankful it was not hit when you were parked somewhere with horses in it. Count your blessings.

You cannot demand a new one. The insurance adjuster and/or the trailer repair place will assess damages. The insurance company will decide if repairing it will cost more than a comparable replacement. If it's "totalled" they pay you for the current value of the trailer.

Even if it's only 4 months old, it's not longer brand new, so you should expect some depreciation. As soon as any vehicle leaves the dealer's lot, it drops in value. You could argue with them that there aren't any 2011 trailers identical to yours at such a low price, and appeal the valuation. But it can be an uphill battle as you deal with a giant corporation.

You can still file suit against the driver for anything his insurance will not cover. It's a pain to do. But there's no reason you can't try to recover damages on your own.

You can still file suit against the driver for anything his insurance will not cover. It's a pain to do. But there's no reason you can't try to recover damages on your own.
    Depending on state law and how the police report is written up, you also may be able to file suit against the owner of the car for damages.

msChev I am soooo sorry. That is awful what has happened.

My dad was in the insurance biz for his whole career. So I know the routine for filing a claim. I have asked him alot of stuff over the years.

This is what happens: your insurance adjuster will look at your trailer and get all info. They will say go get estimates. Then they will cut you a check LESS your deductible. It is the insurance companies responsibility to go after the rest of the money they gave you. It is not your duty to do so. This is why you have insurance. This is what an insurance company is suppose to do.

If you take the trailer to estimate places and the price is 85% or more of replacement of trailer, then the insurance company will call it "totaled" and they will pay replacement price. IOW if trailer is $10,000 and it will cost $8,500 or more to fix - then it will be deemed a "total" and you will be paid replacement cost of $10,000.

You only need to hand over the info of the other people. Regardless if the stupid idiot neighbors are insured or not, the insurance company will sue them for the amount of what they paid you.

If you have issues with the adjuster, move up the line to his/her manager. Troubles there, move up the line to the company.

So sorry. Lovely trailer btw.