The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

ashlyn Guest

Question Horse to Borrow/Rent for Virginia Hunts?

Hi everyone! I moved to NoVa about a year ago, and, because of the urban setting (and ridiculous board prices in said urban setting), was not able to bring my horses out with me. However, I am missing riding terribly, and really would love to get back in to hunting this season.

I am wondering if any members from any of the hunts in Middleburg/Loudoun County might have (or know someone with) a horse that they might be willing to let me borrow or rent for hunts this season?

I'm a quiet and assertive rider, have my C-3 in USPC, and am comfortable working with greenies/off-track mounts. Although I've only hunted for a couple seasons before now, I have a strong background in eventing and polo.

I've emailed a few of the area hunts, but have yet to hear back from any members, so figured I would come on here. Would love to hear from anyone who has advice/recommendations. Thanks!

Have you contacted Hunter's Rest (www.huntersrest.net) ? She has horses for hire when you stay at Hunter's Rest; contact her to see if you could do more.

My neighbor rents out hunt horses. Send me a message or email me if you would like her contact information. We both hunt with Middleburg.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

ashlyn Guest

Thank you for the replies! Hinderella- her place looks lovely, but I am trying to find something a bit more regular, and perhaps in line with a grad student salary (300/day is a bit much) or work-to-ride. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Good luck with your search. I'm sure that somewhere in VA hunt country you will find the right match!
    you may want to send Hunter's Rest a message or pm all the same. She may able to put you in touch with someone who hasa horse for you.

ashlyn, I sent you a PM.

I sent you a PM as well!

Default Sent you a PM

Just saw this post and have sent you a PM

Thumbs up Have fun!

In Leesburg; there's Maintree Farm. They have livery horses for area hunts but mostly with Loudoun Hunt as the owner is one of the mfh's.

Out in Amissville there's Mary Potter who runs a B&B called the Perennial Inn.703-856-6003 She does livery for Rappahannock Hunt, Bull Run and other area hunts.

These are just 2 I thought of quickly. I'd contact the hunts and often the sec'y knows someone in that hunt who has extra horses or does hunt livery. Good luck! Remember the cost sometime includes the cap fees which are running $100-150 in this area. Be sure to ask. It's not cheap to hunt 'round heah!!
    Last edited by wateryglen; Sep. 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: I forgot!