The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on Elis, Plus Rant!

First I will do the Elis update
    So it has been 2 weeks (and one day) since Elis came lame so today was the day to try Elis and see how he was doing. Since the vet was coming for my other horse today anyways we decided to just lunge him for the vet so we knew right away what his thoughts were.
    He was much improved but he was still off on that leg. The vet said the swelling was down and that he flexed better, but he was still off. He said that Elis was improved enough that he didn't feel the need to do another ultrasound. So our plan right now is to give him a FULL MONTH OFF, then recheck him. I am totally bummed, this means we miss EVERYTHING for the rest of this year, all the horse shows and clinics! It also means that I lose ALL the muscling I worked SOOOO hard to build on him!! This means that I probably won't be able to even do the horse shows/clinics at the beginning of next year! Now don't get me wrong I am VERY willing to take all this time and to go VERY VERY slowly b/c I am looking for long term goals of getting him right back up to doing the 4' plus jumpers so I don't care if I miss all that stuff, but it still totally s.ucks!! I am allowed to hand walk him or walk under saddle with no tight turns and such, and he is allowed small paddock turnout. He says I don't need to wrap or cold hose as long as the leg does not swell at all. The vet said he thought Elis' chances of a full recovery were extremely high.

Now for the rant.

My trainer told me yesterday that he had booked my older horse in for the vet around 12:30-1 today, which was great. We also decided that since the vet was out anyways we would have him look at Elis. Save time so we knew immediately what we needed to do next. It was VERY important to me that I was there for that, especially for Elis since he is my pride and joy Big jumper prospect who seems to be dealing with something similar to a ligament/tendon issue that could possibly end his career or at least limit it.
    So I rearranged my schedule so I could take the afternoon off of work. I texted my trainer today and asked him if the vet had let him know of a specific time and he said no that the vet hadn't said a different time so he assumed it was still at 12:30-1. So I finished off work and rushed to the barn. Got there at 12:45 and waited... and waited... and waited... Finally at 1:50 I texted my trainer and asked if he had heard from the vet yet. He said no then called the clinic.
    The clinic said the vet had gone to a different call and so it would be a few hours. My trainer called me back and told me this. He told me that he had made sure the clinic had my number AND his number and that they would call us as soon as the knew when the vet would be there so I could go home and wait for the call. It sucked that I had been waiting for so long for nothing but my trainer hadn't made it known to them yesterday that I was going to be there so they thought they could come do my horses whenever, so I wasn't too peeved about that. My parents live 10 minutes from the barn so I headed over there and watched TV while I waited.
    3:40 rolls around and I haven't heard anything yet so I phone the clinic and ask if they know what's happening and the girl goes 'oh he should be there any second' I was like "WHAT?!" So I raced to my car and TORE off to the barn!
    I saw the vet truck outside the barn and RAN in just to see them putting away Elis. Yup both horses had been done and I had missed EVERYTHING!!
    I had been so anxious wanting to see how Elis did, I felt it VERY important to be there for this so I could see where he was in his recovery and could discuss right then and there as it was happening with the vet but NO I had missed everything cause they didn't TELL ME that when he was heading over there! I even missed all of Vega's stuff which I also wanted to be involved in! AND I had wasted an afternoon, that I took off from WORK, waiting around for NOTHING!!
    I was so mad and tried to remain calm since it was not the vets fault but after he told me Elis' prognosis I told him I was very unhappy I didn't see Elis go since I hadn't seen how he was in 2 WEEKS. He said oh well we could put him back on the lunge for you and I was thinking 'ya great idea to whip my horse in more small circles when he has an injury that is similar to a tendon/ligament injury'
    Anyways I know mistakes happen and what not but it was still serious hard for me to deal with when it felt so important that I was there. Next month when we test his soundness again I will have no baseline for how he was now so unless he is 100% I won't be able to know for sure how much he has improved. Plus I missed out on a whole afternoon of work and wasted all my time (and gas for my car driving to and fro).
    My other horse got good news and is cleared for work so I guess that's the bright side.

Anyways a long road to recovery yet for Elis but at least the vet thinks he has a good chance for recovery. If he is not 100% next month we will have to do more diagnostics I think but for now we will just give him rest (even if it IS a tendon/ligament issue which the ultrasound didn't show) 90% of rehab for that is rest anyways. Thanks for reading.

A big for the good parts
    BUT I'd be very annoyed about missing the appointment as well, & would follow this up wth letters to the vet clinic & trainer - I assume that vet did not just show up & pull horses out by himself so barn staff/trainer failed in the communications department even more than the vet

Consider this a lesson learned though, always communicate directly with the vet/vet office if you want to be part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    would follow this up wth letters to the vet clinic & trainer.
    Oh, for goodness sake! The OP is mad at herself for not waiting at the barn. If this was SOOO important to her, she would have done so. Don't blame this on the vet, who likely has a great many things on his mind.

IMO, people need to take responsibility for their own actions, not blame others for not babysitting them sufficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    A big for the good parts
    BUT I'd be very annoyed about missing the appointment as well, & would follow this up wth letters to the vet clinic & trainer - I assume that vet did not just show up & pull horses out by himself so barn staff/trainer failed in the communications department even more than the vet

Consider this a lesson learned though, always communicate directly with the vet/vet office if you want to be part of the process.
    The vet took the horses out by himself with the help of his vet student. My trainer was at a show and the barn staff were else where at the time.

I am not really mad at myself or the vet I am unhappy that the clinic did not tell me that the vet was on his way. But usually they are a good clinic (highly respected, top clinic in the province) so I don't feel the need to get too pissy at them for this one mix up but I was definitely unhappy. Like I said mistakes happen, but I really felt it was important that I be there so I was frustrated.

Grow up.

That means three things:

1. Convey to the treating vet that next time you make an appointment for you to be there, you really do want to be there. He/she can do what it takes. I'd guess that the vet-clinic-trainer-making calls on your behalf meant that these people had the "full service for ammies" mentality. They "git-r-done" with the horse, you write the checks and then happily accept reports about that. This doesn't mean this is bad medicine; it means a way of doing business that works well enough for large clinics.

2. Again, discuss this will all-- receptionist, vet, trainer or BM (person in charge on the place when trainer is at the show)-- *for next time*. Don't complain about the past, just make it clear that you want something different in future.

3. You own two horses, at least one in training, clinic and show. You have a job that lets you take the afternoon off. You drove 10 minutes to your parents' house to chill. Complain about wasting your time. Don't complain about your gasoline wasted. That's really petty.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You had the appointment scheduled. You took the afternoon off. You chose to leave the barn. You missed the vet. Pretty clear to me that instead of being mad at the clinic, you should be mad at your decision. Vets are busy and get behind-maybe didn't even call clinic to tell them they were on the way to your barn. Bring a book or clean tack next time.

Haha, you guys are HILARIOUS!! I would never have left the barn if they (vet clinic) hadn't told me to leave the barn cause they WOULD call me when the vet was coming. This has always been done every other time so why would I question whether it would be done this time. Like I SAID I am not gonna go to them and complain or anything because I KNOW mistakes happen (and yes this WAS a mistake on THEIR part) b/c every other time it has been done. This does not mean I have to be happy about their mistake and that it was not frustrating.
    Ya sure my job, which is MY OWN business, allowed me to rearrange my schedule to get time off for this but guess what? That means that my shop was LOSING MONEY while I was gone!
    But I am done with replying to people about this, so if you chose to respond to my rant with bitterness and disgust go ahead but I won't reply. If you want to give me jingles about my poor pony being injured then I will reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Haha, you guys are HILARIOUS!! I would never have left the barn if they (vet clinic) hadn't told me to leave the barn cause they WOULD call me when the vet was coming. This has always been done every other time so why would I question whether it would be done this time. Like I SAID I am not gonna go to them and complain or anything because I KNOW mistakes happen (and yes this WAS a mistake on THEIR part) b/c every other time it has been done. This does not mean I have to be happy about their mistake and that it was not frustrating.
    Ya sure my job, which is MY OWN business, allowed me to rearrange my schedule to get time off for this but guess what? That means that my shop was LOSING MONEY while I was gone!
    But I am done with replying to people about this, so if you chose to respond to my rant with bitterness and disgust go ahead but I won't reply. If you want to give me jingles about my poor pony being injured then I will reply.
    If the vet costs you too much money, then fire him/her. One business owner to another, making an economic decision. If, on the other hand, it benefits you to keep working with this vet, then ask for something different.

Out of curiosity-- why call the trainer and have him call the vet about the day's schedule on your behalf if he's away at a show? it seems better to cut out as many middlemen as you can in a communication fiasco, no?

Here's the jingles for your horse you wanted.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    If the vet costs you too much money, then fire him/her. One business owner to another, making an economic decision. If, on the other hand, it benefits you to keep working with this vet, then ask for something different.

Out of curiosity-- why call the trainer and have him call the vet about the day's schedule on your behalf if he's away at a show? it seems better to cut out as many middlemen as you can in a communication fiasco, no?

Here's the jingles for your horse you wanted.
    Normally things work out. I schedule 75% of my appointments for my horses to ensure I can work it out with my schedule but I was away and needed an appointment asap for my older horse.
    My trainer is at a show that is less than 5 minutes from our barn and since he set up the appointment and had asked the vet to let him know about timing it was easier to go that route since he had actually spoken with the vet the day before when he was at our barn. Normally I am the one calling and seeing about times but since this was set up by my trainer and he had actually spoken to the vet I went through him.

Thank you for the jingles on my horse.

Best wishes for your horse.

I run my own business too. What I always do before I leave the office is to call the vet's office and find out where he really is in his schedule, and how late he is likely to be. I never just assume he is going to be on time, though sometimes he is right on the button!

I've been the dire emergency side trip screwing up the schedule so I try to make it easy on everyone to be flexible--including myself.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't really mind that he wasn't on time bc I know emergencies and such happen. The only thing I minded was that they told me I could go hom and they would phone me as soon as they knew when he was coming and they didn't phone me so I missed the whole appointment.

Gotcha.

I feel your pain. I used to have a job that allowed me to control my time, so I could be there for any and all appointments. Like you, I want to see the lameness exam with my own eyes. Life changed and I got more scheduled....with me being less tolerant of my horse's professionals being wishy-washy about time. I didn't/don't like watching myself turn into a datebook toting bizatch! But I seem to "pass the buck"-- people want time accountability from me, so I want that from others.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that a receptionist at a big vet clinic doesn't have the incentive (or maybe ambition?) that the business owner does to be super "on it" with respect to things like this. It bums me out, but I "get it," take a breath and remain grateful that I was taught how to a tighter ship in my life.

So when I'm in the spot you describe, I take a breath, remember that the vet-trainer-me system works more often than it does not.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

So sorry to hear that he is not better. I would re-ultrasound after the full month and see if maybe there is something in there the vet didn't see the first time.

I think you are wise to plan on giving him the rest of the season off/on light work. These things stay healed better if not rushed through a recovery. Total bummer though, BTDT!

Next time the vet it out, I would have him evaluate the horse's shoeing. One of mine had a very similar experience at 5 -- sore suspensories but no tear -- and the vet determined he needed to be shod a few degrees steeper than he grows naturally. With careful farrier management that problem has not come back. If he gets long he can start to get tender again so it is very important to keep mine on a 5-6 week shoeing schedule.