The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Score question about Dressage Test

Hi Yall,

I have a question and I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject.

Recently I went to a Schooling Show and did Level one test 1. I received a final score of 57.6 What was a bit eye opening for me was the fact that I received a "9" for the first movement. Enter working trot, Halt, Salute,Proceed working trot. "I" was impressed. Ive gotten 8's before but never a 9. especially at my halts, but recently Ive been working really hard with my mare because Ive been in Training level too long. She's beginning to round off, staying on the bit etc etc.

Anyways, My quantry has to do with me sharing this news with my instructor. She said that the first movement should be the easiest to get high marks from and infered that a 9 for this was rather common. hummmmmmm?

All I can say is from my experience, entering the arena straight, under pressure, on the bit,collected frame, even gated with a square halt,ON "X", standing still and then bouncing into a nice working trot again= is NOT easy.

Is it me? I need a reality check or a reality expansion on this subject. Thanks Molly

i think it is not "common" to get a 9, even if that is the "easiest" part of the test. And personally I don't think its the easiest for us amateurs Anything down center line fully emphasizes how straight the horse is, and as we all know, horses don't always want to be straight. Just remember, even our trainers dont know everything

I've ridden a lot of tests, and I'll pat myself on the back bigtime for any score over 7; doesn't matter what movement it was!!!!!!!!!

I usually get my best scores on the first and last movement. I think its because thats when I have my 'game face' on. I dont think its because its an 'easy movement'.

Its not common to get a 9. Ive been showing dressage for 7 years and have gotten a 9 once. It was on a halt in the middle of a test. Ive ridden a bunch of different levels, tons of different judges and horses, and at schooling and recognized shows. Im here to tell you that 9s arent common, at all! Pat yourself on the back!

9's are not common, and the first moves are not the easiest to get good scores on. Your instructor has no idea what they're talking about, has never ridden a test, or never judged. Some horses do do great halts, and it's still hard to eek out a 9. Depending on what kind of horse you have, coming down the centerline, halting square and steady, and moving off straight can be OK to very, very hard.

You did a good job. Learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Micvee View Post
    All I can say is from my experience, entering the arena straight, under pressure, on the bit,collected frame, even gated with a square halt,ON "X", standing still and then bouncing into a nice working trot again= is NOT easy.
    It's, quite frankly, the easiest place for me to lose points. Congrats on your 9! I suspect your instructor was taken aback and a bit jealous by your 9, and wasn't ready to construct a more supportive response.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ya!... Thanks for the imput. Ive been working my ass off on my horse this Summer, like never before. Its kind of an eye opener that my instructor said what she said. geeeeeee

I know it wasnt the judge. I knew who she was and what she's done, so, sooooooo , I'll acept it. Give me that 9 ohhhhh, wing it to me. ( : So much for a quick kiss at your dreams, it was sweet. Thanks for honest opinions. Molly

Good going! I've been getting 8's for my final down center line, halt and salute, but not for that first one--it's tough! that, to me, is one of those places where if I've not REALLY go it together, horsie gets wobbly and backend pops out to one side. Am finally learning to take a good straight run at it from outside the arena so when we go through A we are motoring, our butt is beneath us and we have got the wobblies out of our system... in theory... but that depends of the configuration of the arena.

9s are definitely NOT common. I've struggled with that first halt myself since my mare just wants to "get on with it." I about did a back-flip when my mare scored a 7 on her first halt at our last show. Congratulations!

While not "common"- I'd say it's the mostly likely place to score high. It's where I routinely score the highest too- but like you, I work on it a lot. I've even gotten a '10' there (and it was my first 10 and I'll never forget it!)

Be proud! it's an achievement!

I've scribed for years at local and recognized shows. I've written down, per the judge's direction, a 10 once to a kid on the first movement; never a 9 to anyone else.

Congrats to you!

While not common, it is one the places that
    I give 9 and 10 perhaps twice a show. It really
    is one of the few places in the test where all
    horses are the most equal. It is tough to judge
    the quality of a trot or canter as it is coming
    directly at you, so the 8 mover has less of an
    advantage over the 6 mover (well, the 8's balance
    is better). The horse/rider that can come straight
    down the center line, 'stick' the halt, have good balance
    into and out of the halt, trot or canter in a businesslike
    fashion on the center line, can score a 9 or 10 from me.
    Overall, in 50 rides, I give on average 1 score of 10, 5
    scores of 9. On the flip side, I cannot ever remember
    giving a 0, and perhaps give a 1 5 times a year. My
    'bell curve' is clearly high score heavy LOL

I agree with the post above - it is easier to get a high score in the centerline/halt because the horses are most equal. What your trainer might have been trying to say it is easier for any horse - even a horse with average movement - can get a 9 on the centerline/halt when ridden/trained very well, while it is harder/if not impossible for that horse to get a 9 on other things - like the free walk, etc.

What you should be proud of is that getting a 9 on this movement is mostly related to the horse's training and the rider's effectiveness. Well done!