The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *spin off of ribbon display* Cooler display ?

anyone have a great way to display all the coolers ?
    Some stay at the barn and get used but I have nice/memorable ones at home that I have just left in boxes. I wouldnt mind displaying them occasionally.

LOLOLOLOL. Wish I had this problem. Refer to previous posts about mass quantities of pink and green ribbons.

However, will look forward to reading answers to OP's question. You know, for the day I finally stop wearing the first cooler I ever win as a cape for all to see for months on end.

When I was a junior I had one that was really special to me and I used it as a bed spread for a while (not for the whole bed - actually folded across the foot of the bed with the lettering facing out). Now it lives in a box with some others. But if I wanted to have it out, maybe draped over the back of a sofa or chair in a family room? This could probably work for a few. And I'm sure if you have any house pets, they'll love it.

I saw someone use one of the racks that tack stores use to display blankets (where you can go from one to the next like pages in a book). The room was large with high ceilings, and it looked great!

I fold them into squares that fit in clear HD plastic blanket/quilt zip bags with the lettering from the show centered. They are protected and I know which one is which.

Never, ever, did I think I'd need to worry about this. Thank you, Trixie!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Default LOL, Thank You, TrakeGirl!!!

Totally sharing your post with my husband!! My horse just won the very first cooler I've ever gotten this past Saturday (thanks again, Sugar, you wonderful mare!) and I have slept with the silly thing, used at as a blanket while watching TV, and trudged through the house with it wrapped around me like a Superman cape when it's chilly - I've even blogged about it!
    [URL="http://galsandhorses.blogspot.com/2011/08/best-show-ever.html"]

My kids totally get it, and cuddle under it with me. My husband looks on with bemused resignation-- just one more bullet point on the commitment papers!

If I ever get another, maybe I'd consider sadow boxing it and placing it on a Wall of Fame in the house somewhere, or maybe get one of those glass topped cocktail tables.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

This thread got me thinking.
    If I had more than the 2 Vern won me I'd mount one of the nicer - brass & wood - blanket racks and display them that way alongside the ribbons, trophies, etc.

As it is, one is serving as a sofa cover - A/A Reserve Champion 1990 displayed on the back of the couch
    The other is still in use at the barn, but I may bring it in the house since it will fit neither 17h+ Sam nor the pony.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by abv1269 View Post
    My horse just won the very first cooler I've ever gotten this past Saturday and I have slept with the silly thing, used at as a blanket while watching TV, and trudged through the house with it wrapped around me like a Superman cape when it's chilly
    Horse people just GET each other.

Although I was adding up the relative costs it would take to win one of these sought after coolers in my area and .

Starting to contemplate just ordering one in colors I like with a random 2011 Champion of Handgrazing or whatever embroidered on it. SOooooo much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    2011 Champion of Handgrazing

Well I can share share NOT to do. I have a book about horse barns which featured one barn owned by a famous Grand Prix rider, I can remember his famous horse's name (Edgar) but his name escapes me at this moment.

In any case, he draped his coolers around his indoor off of the ceiling beams. I thought this was a great looking idea so I did the same in my barn aisle above the tack and feed rooms. Well, it took ages to get them up there and straight and now 6 years later, they are Ok, but pretty dusty and worn :-(

By the end of this post I have remembered his name: Joe Fargis.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Sitting on the back of my sofa, looking impressive and waiting to be snuggled up under.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I bet with some seamstressing skills they would make great throw pillows!

Wool and Fleece: I use them as couch blankies as well.

The irish knits stay in the barn and are used by horsies.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Well I can share share NOT to do. I have a book about horse barns which featured one barn owned by a famous Grand Prix rider, I can remember his famous horse's name (Edgar) but his name escapes me at this moment.

In any case, he draped his coolers around his indoor off of the ceiling beams. I thought this was a great looking idea so I did the same in my barn aisle above the tack and feed rooms. Well, it took ages to get them up there and straight and now 6 years later, they are Ok, but pretty dusty and worn :-(

By the end of this post I have remembered his name: Joe Fargis.
    I saw pictures of Joe's barn, those coolers looked fabulous hanging in his indoor arena.

I think Lucassb has some of her coolers hanging from one of those beautiful wood and brass blanket racks in her den.

I used to have a really nice day bed that I would drape my most special/prettiest coolers over the back of and it looked really great. I would love to have them turned into a quilt, but my aunt (a very talented quilter and seamstress) said becasue they are all different materials (wool, cotton, nylon, canvas, fleece) that they wouldn't quilt together well.

I actually ended up using a few of the coolers and sheets on my horses because I am too cheap to actually buy new things for my horse. My biggest mistake though was putting a cotton sheet that I won from my greatest riding achievement on my horse at a show to dress her up and I'll admit, to show off a bit lol. Opened her stall door in the morning and the sheet was ripped to shreds beyond repair.

I am now custom building shadow boxes for coolers,contact Randi Muster/ Mustphoto.com

At Penn State we have this thing called "Paternoville" it's where you camp out 3 days before the game (a week for the big games) for the front row seats. My group has the joy of using my 1998, 1999, and 2000 short stirrup grand champion fleece coolers for the cold games. They are super warm and there is no way I would ever display those or have them fit any animal I could ever hope to own.

I had a friend who had clear plexiglass (I think) columns and shelves that they would put folded up coolers in with the embroidery facing out. It looked pretty cool and they usually paired these with a photo of the girl winning the cooler. Maybe a little too 90s but hey, I never really thought of doing anything with a cooler other then using it!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian