The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your cat's not getting enough cheese!

I've been seeing lots of canned cat food with cheese in it. Good gawd, my cats love the stuff. The barn rescue is walking all over on her hind legs while waiting for the dish to be put down for her...the other two are meowing away..well, one is a Siamese, so that's normal...but still, wow, what a hit at meal time.

Is cheese the new catnip?

And yes, I know, dry food is better for cats...but the three of my fur bearing critters get a whole can once a day to share.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

My cat's aren't acting any different to the cheese in the cat food. Maybe mine aren't big cheese eaters
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I've never noticed a different reaction with the house cats with food with cheese and the same without - Friskies shreds and gravy in my case because Da Lip can't manage any other kind without a bottom lip.

Actually, wet food is better than dry - fewer health problems in the long run. Dry food doesn't work for dental cleaning like it does for dogs as cats rarely chew the stuff, just swallow whole or crack larger kibble. Mine all get a combination of dry and wet.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

LOL
    Cheese does not cause any commotion around here...it has to be straight up TUNAAAAAAAAA
    at least for 2 of the bunch, the other likes those cat treats in the baggy....(or a chicken biscuit...hold the biscuit)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

My cats are fond enough of cheese, but what they really feel they are getting shorted on is ice cream.

Mr. CH and I foolishly left ice cream bowls on the coffee table the other night ... the cats did dishwashing duty and now they are really adamant that they need more.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Mine are actually crazy about whipped cream. Any time we are eating something with whipped cream or they hear the sound the can makes they start meowing so I have to give them a bowl with some in it. THEY LOVE IT
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I have one that will do back flips for asparagus. Yeah...I know...
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Bacon makes my cat crazy! Like an addict in need of a bender.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

my DSH will claw your eyes out for cheesy puffs! or any kind of chip with fake powdered cheese.

and Tuna man, he comes running when he hears the can opener come out of the drawer.

Frying bacon is hazardous at my house, because the cats are under my feet so much! I finally started shutting them up in the bathroom and enduring the yelling (and one is a Siamese, so you can imagine the yells).

Making tuna salad is a group project.

As far as individual tastes, my Tortie loves doughnuts, cake, and nearly any sort of pastry including muffins and cobblers whereas my Siamese loves fresh fruit and will grab a bite of my nectarine or steal raspberries from my plate!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I have a cat who is known as Butter Boy. Not much gets a rise out of him except for butter. We could leave steak, seafood, chicken, cheese, cream, etc. on the table for hours with no reaction but if he gets wind of a buttered waffle, he's all over it. My husband likes to make cookies and more than once Butter Boy has managed to get his arthritic body on the counter to chew on the sticks left out to soften.

PS - Almost any canned is better than dry for cats because they don't have a high thirst drive and need the fluids. Don't apologize for "spoiling" them!

I used to have a cat that loved pickled olives and even partly deaf with age, he could still distinguish the sound of an olive jar opening.

Of the current house cats, Da Lip loves milk. liver, shredded chicken and begs popcorn. Da Magpie is another that goes for pretend powdered cheese and will pull a bag that held those cheese flavoured things out and lick it clean.......and leave her mostly white front legs and face covered in orange dye. Blue begs anything and refuses most of what she begged including liver and chicken. Her momma, Hissy, is a feline garbage disposal and Hissy inherited that from her daddy who comes in in late fall along with his son (both neutered); the son is NOT a garbage disposal, he is picky and only eats cat food of certain flavours.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I havent bought the cheese-wet food yet. But my two kittens are spoiled rotten and only eat wet food. (Theyve been eating around the moistened dry food ive added to their wet).

My kittens love to eat: ranch dressing, nachos, brownie mix, chicken wings (well, they lick the sauce off of them, or wait for me to pick meat off for them) and steamed veggies. Actually pretty much any time im eating something, they hop up and try to share my plate. They'll be barn cats soon...no more yummy human meals!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

My one cat knows the sound of my greek yogurt container opening and starts doing the weave around my legs as I'm making my lunch in the morning! I think she's figured out how many days it takes to empty one big one because she's always more obnoxious when it's emptied (I then give her the container to stick her whole head in and clean it out. She then sports dried yogurt on her ears for days...).

Or beef jerky... You cannot sit down to watch TV with a bag of jerky, she will nip it out from your own teeth!

Or cheese balls/its/nips...

Or pretty much anything Mom is eating!

My male Havana Brown is a picky eater...he eats cat food, period!

Now my two girls...anything is fair game. The Siamese (Lily) loves tomato soup, spaghetti, ice cream and yoghurt. My barn rescue (Abigail)...anything's fair game for her. She loves spicy salami, liver, anything meat family, peas, corn on the cob and blue cheese. She also likes coffee if it's cold.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Mom's old cat had a thing for Kraft Thousand Island salad dressing. If you left the cap off the bottle, he'd tip it and lick up any splashes. Once she left her already-dressed salad unattended and went to get something from the fridge; Willie was all over that salad!

our little Heathen Kitteh eats many things, like tomatoes and cheese and shredded chicken and beef....be fast when offering beef or she might snag that right out of your hand or off your plate. She loves yogurt and noodles and of course dry and/or wet cat food.

Because we just learned that cats don't drink a lot of water, she gets soup 2x a day. We use a spoonful of wet food to season water and she drinks that right down.

Dogs chewing food?

I have a small piece of sharp cheddar most nights before bed. The cats absolutely know when the cheese bag comes out of the dairy/meat drawer. Not the hot dogs, not the veggie crisper or the fruit crisper. THAT crisper and THAT package

ZOOM they all come from the corners of the house. It's THE only time they aren't whacking each other waiting for regular meals because they are SO focused on The Cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
    I have a cat who is known as Butter Boy. Not much gets a rise out of him except for butter. We could leave steak, seafood, chicken, cheese, cream, etc. on the table for hours with no reaction but if he gets wind of a buttered waffle, he's all over it.
    I had a Butter Boy Junior-as a very small kitten, he chowed on a plateful of butter pats shaped like flowers-my mother made them for her luncheon() , and we found him looking positively nauseous with butter smeared all over his face...it was 20 yrs. ago, but I can still picture his poor sad little squinty barfy butterface....

My little one LOVES fruit! Nope, she won't eat salmon or other fish flavored treats, but she will maul your face for a slice of pineapple. She doesn't eat it (I don't think she knows how), but she licks the thing dry. The same with strawberries. Anything that crunches must be investigated: she doesn't like carrots but she Has To Know What It Is before you finish eating one. She doesn't get people food regularly and only gets cat treats (chicken flavor) when I have to bribe her to remain still for brushing.

*I know, grapes are lethal so she doesn't get those. Don't worry, I am not feeding her fruit baskets filled with raisins, lol.*
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.