The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you are in Maryland and thinking about trying hunting

Howard County Iron Bridge Hounds introductory clinic/hunt/breakfast is this Saturday August 20.

Message me if you'd like me to email you the flyer or email the organizer hunthorses at comcast.net to book in (mounted or unmounted)

Went to this last year and had a blast! I had looked at their website this year but hadn't seen anything about it. Just as well because we're getting over an abcess right now. I also missed getting to go cubbing with them after it last year because beastie decided to get herself kicked in the stifle. *sigh* one day I will actually be able to hunt...

So was it a good turnout this year?

I was not there, but I gather the turnout was good. I hope once the abscess clears up you'll find your way out there.

I was there, and it was a good turnout, maybe 30 people?

The hunt staff were very friendly. Unfortunately I felt like I was "THAT" horse and rider, creating a bit of scene at the beginning, and one at the end just for good measure.

Dangit- I missed it! I really wanted to go with my horse but thought it was next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    Dangit- I missed it! I really wanted to go with my horse but thought it was next weekend.
    I hope that you won't wait a year to try again. It is a pretty welcoming hunt even on the other 51 weeks a year.

You won't get the talk, but if you come out early in the season (ie now) it's still pretty low key. On these early days the weather gets hot and the hounds and horses (... and riders) are not very fit so it tends to be slow and less than 2 hours. The downside is the early morning starts.

If you want to try I think it would be an easier introduction early in the season than in November when everybody is fit and going a bit harder.

If you are bringing your own horse, you should contact one of the masters. If you want to try it on a horse that knows what it is doing, talk to Dale at Pleasant Prospect and ask her if she will talk to a master for you or if you should.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I hope that you won't wait a year to try again. It is a pretty welcoming hunt even on the other 51 weeks a year.

You won't get the talk, but if you come out early in the season (ie now) it's still pretty low key. On these early days the weather gets hot and the hounds and horses (... and riders) are not very fit so it tends to be slow and less than 2 hours. The downside is the early morning starts.

If you want to try I think it would be an easier introduction early in the season than in November when everybody is fit and going a bit harder.

If you are bringing your own horse, you should contact one of the masters. If you want to try it on a horse that knows what it is doing, talk to Dale at Pleasant Prospect and ask her if she will talk to a master for you or if you should.
    What should my horse and I wear? Sheepskin half pad with saddle and figure-8 bridle okay? Tan breeches, black field boots, black helmet, white show shirt (not a stock tie though), and a darker green show jacket?

My potential outfit:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/lexiew.jpg/

Are they any huge rules I should know when going, besides not to pass the staff, stay a horse length away, call the hounds "dogs", or allow my horse to kick a dog? If I go in first flight, do I have to jump every single fence or is there an around route? My horse is pretty good, but hasn't jumped big big fences out in a field...he went galloping in a group last weekend for the first time and was excellent. He is fit. What do I ask the master about when I call? When and at what time are the hunts? Thank you SO much!

I would call the secretary to ask if you could come cubbing. I would also find out if they have anyone available to be your "nanny" for your first time out.

The "nanny" will be able to give you tips while riding along and will be able to give you a heads up.

The MFHA website has a page that lists the different hunts and many are linked to their websites. Some of those sites have great general information and some that is specific to that particular hunt.

http://www.mfha.org/hunts-geolist.html

Best of luck!!

And you know we all want to hear a hunt report!

Your potential outfits look good. It really isn't the most important thing in the world, but I know nobody wants to waste time worrying about looking wrong when they could have put something different on at home.

Most HCIBH country does not have a lot of big jumps or a lot of jumps that are hard to go around. Even if you go first flight, a meet that is mostly in state park might only need jumping over 18" high fallen logs. You probably don't want to on your first try though, if only because people are more accepting of a green horse at the back of the field.

Jumping is not usually the hard part for most new horses. The hard part is usually cantering with a group then patiently standing still on a narrow track without much room to circle or fidget.

The main thing you probably want to ask when calling is when would be a good day. You probably want to avoid days when there is likely to be a big group with a new horse.

And depending on what direction you are coming from, one of the adjacent hunts sounds like they have an intro type day this weekend.

(copied from facebook today so talking about Sunday 8/28)
    Carrollton Hunt will be roading the hounds on Sunday 8:30am at Playland! Contact glenda@playlandequestriancenter.com to join in on the fun and learn more about foxhunting!

Also Goshen is having complimentary cubbing season (no cap) for all hunting Newbies. What a great incentive!