The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Portable Generators

I'm looking into buying a portable generator to take with me to shows where I will be showing off the trailer. I only need to be able to power a fan or a cell phone charger or something small. Does anyone have a suggestion for me about the easiest way to accomplish this?
    -Grace

The standard of the industry for small gensets is Honda. The EU1000 would do what you want; the EU2000 would let you add another fan, microwave oven, coffee makers, etc. That would free you from the tyranny of "show food."

These are light weight, very quiet, and very reliable.

We use a pair of EU2000, connected in parallel, with our "weekender" LQ. They run the AC, one other large load (microwave, Incinolet, etc.) and a light or two.

Yamaha also has a competing line. I've seen them advertised; I know nothing about them.

I found a new line from a maker in China named Lifan. They are sold at RV shops and Home Depot. Frankly the comments on them are distinctly mixed (about half swear by them and the other half swear at them). They are about 25% cheaper than a Honda or Yamaha. It might well be that "you get what you pay for."

The above units are the "ultra quiet" type. If you want a "contractor grade" that sounds like a 747 running up you can get 3500 watts for about $350 (more or less). Plus the cost of hearing protection, of course.

And you'll need a gun to protect youself from the wrath of your neighbors.

Google "quiet generator sets" and you will get lots of hits. Go from there.

Good luck in your search.

G.

Besides a generator ... you could use an inverter. A 400 watt inverter will power a fan and all the other small loads. It runs off of 12 volts dc, the same power as your car or truck. Problem is, you could also run your truck battery down where it won't start. The best way to power the inverter is using a separate battery. You should buy a "deep cycle" battery. Down side is the battery is limited to its charge. Just charge it at home. Upside is the dead silence while its operating. Even a small Honda generator is noisy.

There was a thread on another board. They gave Tractor supply generator by champion very good reviews. On a budget, champion. Sky's the limit, honda.

Forget inverters unless you need the power for just a few minutes. This from a ham radio operator who's been doing remote and emergency operations for 57 years.

The Hondas are reliable and quite. I'd say go with the 2000. Kilowatts are like horses -- you can never have too many.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We also have a Honda but ours is big enough to run the house if we have a major power failure.

Honda, Honda, Honda --- this is one of things you get what you pay for. No WalMart "Equate" when it comes to generators

Generac whole house generator. Power goes off, generator kicks in automatically. Love it But it sounds like this person is looking for something less expensive to run just a few things. How much is a 2000 kw honda running these days?

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Generac whole house generator. Power goes off, generator kicks in automatically. Love it But it sounds like this person is looking for something less expensive to run just a few things. How much is a 2000 kw honda running these days?
    Honda must put pressure on internet sellers not to advertise price because few do. Most ads read "call us for pricing information" or something like it. I've read that you can sometimes find the EU2000 as low as $850, but the last price I saw posted was $1275 (IIRC).

Yamaha is about the same; maybe a bit lower.

Lifan is much cheaper. Quality might be an issue.

Another seller is Powerhouse Products. These products kind of look like the Lifan units; I'd want to know who makes them. Google them; they are sold through RV and marine dealers around here.

The Honda is not cheap but then quality doesn't cost, it pays.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

The Honda is not cheap but then quality doesn't cost, it pays.

G.
    But if you are just going to run a fan and a cell phone charger, $1200.00 for a generator seems a little over the top

For only a fan and a cell phone charger, I'd just get a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    I'm looking into buying a portable generator to take with me to shows where I will be showing off the trailer. I only need to be able to power a fan or a cell phone charger or something small. Does anyone have a suggestion for me about the easiest way to accomplish this?
    A generator will run as long as the gasoline and oil supply hold out. A battery will run down depending on how much power is drawn.

How long do you stay at a show? all weekend? running a fan 24 hours a day ? or 8 - 12 hours per day ?

lol, for the cell phone, get a car plug. (if you yap so much you drain the truck battery, you need to cut back!!)

All kidding aside, generators are a nice thing to have, especially when you live in an area were power outages are not uncommon. In that case I have to agree go with the bigger one. it's nice to be able to keep the fridge running when the lights are off....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I found an E2000, which has an inverter, shipped for $850. (I actually paid a bit more because I bought the attachment that holds more gas.) Can't remember the name of the online store Go to www.horsetrailerworld.com and do a search on generators in the forums. Some people prefer the Yamaha.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

This is the place I bought mine: http://www.wisesales.com/

Best price I could find by far -- even considering eBay. I got mine new for the price people were asking used on eBay -- plus shipping was included.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

We have a small Honda. Quiet!!

What about getting a solar panel that connects to a battery and inverter.

I love our Honda.
    We had a 5KW Generac that was a POS. The power would go out a couple of times a year at the old house and that d*mned Generac would break down every_single_time.
    We finally coughed up and got a Honda and when I came home I couldn't hear ours over the other neighbors', and it ran like a champ, easy for me to start, had little wheelbarrow type handles for moving it wherever we wanted it. Power was down for a week and as far as I'm concerned it paid for itself right then and there.
    We thought about a couple of diesel alternatives from Northern Lights but the Honda was just the right combination of portability and power.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Got to a nearby Harbor Freight and see what they have. We bought one there recently but havent' used it so can't comment on that part.

Their prices are good. Their quality is "ok" but of light use like OP is describing that should be fine.

http://www.mrsolar.com/page/MSOS/PROD/rv/MSRV-10

This is what I was thinking of..

There is a thread here in the endurance thread where someone shows her batter and small solar charger. It was simple, cheap and nice. A Honda 2000 EU is great, of course.

I should have known to call the stepdad. "Oh yeah, the little one won't power two air compressors at the same time, has a honda motor, you can have it as long as you want it. It's 3500 watts. It is NOT, however, a quiet camping generator, so any suggestions on muffling some of the noise would be greatly appreciated.
    -Grace