The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Kindle or Nook?

Would love to hear about the pros/cons of each!
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Just got a Kindle on Sunday. So far, love it. Have tried the Nook briefly in a store, it seemed pretty good too.

The only thing I haven't liked about either one is that it's really hard to hold onto it with one hand without accidentally pushing some button or other. It's like they are so desperate to make it as small as possible that they don't leave you a handhold -- like the smallest digital cameras, actually.

The text is really wonderful, in terms of no glare, you control the text size, etc.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

How does one pay for books on a Kindle?
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

A kindle presumes that you have an account w/ Amazon, and you can click to buy a book through the kindle interface instantly, if you have a credit card # saved into your Amazon account on the web. I think you can buy the books from your computer and download them in a separate step later through the Kindle as well, also.

The reason I bought a Nook instead of a Kindle is because Nook allows you to read whatever eBook file you have, where Kindle only reads Kindle format from Amazon.

Is this still true, or can you load PDFs and the like onto Kindle now, as LoriB says?

Amazon has far more ebooks.

Just a note, I have a Kobo.... not impressed.

Kindles have the native ability to read PDFs, per the documentation. (at least, the Kindle 3 does) however, I haven't tried this yet. Will post about that tonight.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I have both.. Or should I say DD has a Kindle I have a Nook. I like the share option the Nook has, and the new nook is smaller and has a touch screen so you can turn the page by either swiping the screen or pressing a button on the side which is easier with the smaller size. Overall I like the Nook better for size and convience and lending capability
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I got a Nook because you can read library books on it (epub format). I've heard that Amazon is going allow the Kindle to read epubs, but I don't know if that has happened yet. In any case, I like the fact that the Nook (and B&N) have supported libraries in a lot of ways.

I have the Kindle app for my phone, and love it. The only problem is that I'm spending much more money on books each month...
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Nook Color. You can share books. And check out books. And root it and turn it into a pretty awesome Android powered Tablet!

Have kindle gave serious thought to the nook prior to buying the kindle.

Dont know why but there was just something maybe the way i held it or who knows what but I chose the kindle.. Oh yeah I remember now.. It was the 3g wifi capailities of hte kindle ANd the amount of books one could hold between the kindle and the nook. the kindle 3 holds a lot more books than the nook.

lol just the other day I mentioned to dh that I was beginning to worry about the space available on my kindle.. he said sweetheart if you could possibly read 3000 books since Feburary then I'll buy you another kindle as think of all the shlef space I would have lost if I didnt. I couldnt recall how many books it held...
    Friend of bar .ka

Kindle has PDF support AND it supports Lending! Amazon will be bringing out library lending by the end of the year I believe. (Only hte time is in question. Amazon IS without a doubt bringing in Library support.)

And you can TOTALLY buy books from places other than Amazon. The Kindle reads more than Amazons format as well.

Have had a Kindle since the release of the K2. I currently have a K3. I absolutely LOVE it. I've played with the Nook, but have found that I MUCH prefer the Kindle due to comfort reason, storage reasons, speed, Ebook availability, and Amazons Customer Service BY FAR beats BN.

My dog broke my Kindle and Amazon sent me a new one over night for 100% free.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I just have to say I LOVE my Kindle! And I also LOVE Amazon! The customer service is amazing! I have a first generation Kindle with 3G (which is both a good and bad thing ). I have had my Kindle replaced twice under warranty. The first time I was unsure of what happened (found out later my DD had spilled water on it ), I called Amazon and no questions asked they shipped me a new one with a return shipping label to return the first. Then I was I was on a road trip and am pretty sure it got stepped on on a mad dash to get DD out of the car when she was car sick. Again I called Amazon and no questions asked they had a new one shipped to me even though I was out of warranty from the original purchase date. Both were shipped next day air so I wouldn't be without for too long. I love the fact that it is not a touch screen as well. I get enough of that with my iPhone . The Kindle is awesome to read in the sun, so reading on the boat at the lake is no problem. The only draw back is it not having a back light for reading in the dark, though regular books aren't either. Amazon has a huge selection of books and have never not been able to find what I want.

Also to add, I did do some comparison on book prices and often times Amazon was cheaper even with the BN member discount. So I figure cheaper books without having to pay $25.00 a year member fee suits me just fine!

I've got to say that B&N's website is teh suck when it comes to searching and browsing books.

I LOVE my Kindle. I have the nook color, but have converted it into an andriod tablet, I just prefer to read on the kindle. I can read still on the nook, but much prefer the kindle.

I love my nook color. I can read it outside. The screen brightness and colors are changeable it doesnt have to look like an ipad. My dh goes to bed at 6pm with this i can read after my munchkin is asleep.I dont have the house lit up. I am on the browser now. I wish they had more horsebooks so i can pull a note or picture up to show my students. Someday.Plus i love free fridays.
    The Dude is the Dudiest of Duders.