The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Kindle Addicts... UNITE!

Ok, I'm a book lover. Truly. Love the feel of pages, the smell, the comfort that a real book is. But....

...I was given a Kindle as a gift and am now addicted. Worse, it's one of the newer ones that has built in wi-fi so I can upload books in about 20 seconds in my office.

Hello, my name is ChocoMare, and I'm a Kindle addict
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Me! Me! Me!

And you can get some really cute covers for them
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Reading my way through Shogun right now
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I always have to say "told ya so!" It's funny how quickly people convert even if they thought they'd hate it.

So nice to read on the train every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    And you can get some really cute covers for them
    Guilty as charged. Red leather, with a dual clip-on light. God Bless E-bay

My name is Jessica and I am addicted to my Kindle.

I thought I would miss physically holding a book and turning the pages. Yeah, well, that all went on the window when my SO got me a kindle for my birthday this past march.

LOVE it. Want a book now? Sure, that will be downloaded in 20 seconds for you.

I want one in the worst way, but I just can't imagine having to pay for books. I am an avid user of the public library, so I am completely stuck on reading books for FREE!

Oh, the dilemma...
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I have been looking to get Kindles for my mom and myself. My sister said to hold out and get iPads. I am not sure I want/need an ipad. I really like the kindle with the wifi and the 3G. So, kindle lovers- tell me why I should get the Kindle?
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    I want one in the worst way, but I just can't imagine having to pay for books. I am an avid user of the public library, so I am completely stuck on reading books for FREE!

Oh, the dilemma...
    As a fellow enabler I must tell you: Amazon has THOUSANDS of free books all ready for you to upload with one wee click of your mousie. 20 seconds later and you have Jane Eyre, etc.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I absolutely love my kindle, but am reading an actual book right now as well as books on my kindle because we can't take valuables into the places I'm volunteering at so no kindle allowed!
    Last edited by Event4Life; Aug. 16, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I'm scared of the grammar police!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Guilty as charged. Red leather, with a dual clip-on light. God Bless E-bay
    Mine, too!

Switching between "Riders" and "Too Big To Fail".

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    I have been looking to get Kindles for my mom and myself. My sister said to hold out and get iPads. I am not sure I want/need an ipad. I really like the kindle with the wifi and the 3G. So, kindle lovers- tell me why I should get the Kindle?
    iPad is NOTHING like the Kindle. Ya you can download books on it, but it looks nothing like a real page. iPads are backlit, so you have a hard time seeing them in bright light, and they are super bright in the dark-- kind of like reading on a computer screen. The Kindle looks exactly like a book, and you need a light over it (like a real book) when you read in the dark.

I thought I would hate the Kindle, but I am addicted too. It's especially nice when I want to read a "trashy" book because nobody knows I'm reading something so crappy (Hey, I read good things during the school year! Sometimes I just need a break I read 4 of those Emily Giffin books this summer.)!! It is seriously dangerous to be able to download books at the click of a button. Since the beginning of the summer I've read about 10 books on the thing.
    ~Isabel

Proud owner and groom for Infinity Sport Horse

We got my mind the Kindle DX (3G + WIFI) for Christmas. I splurged (I never spend money on "frivolities" for myself except the occasional book) and bought myself one this weekend.

I've a feeling my credit card will never be the same..... and I may be "splurging" on a lot more books...yikes!

Loving it already, though. Just gotta find a way to share books with my mom without doing the 14 day loan thing.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I love being able to download sample chapters of books for free to help determine if I want to buy them.

(For the poster who likes to check out library books - you might find the Nook to be a more appealing e-reader.)

Got a Kindle for my birthday this weekend. LOVE it. So light, doesn't get hot like an iPad does, super quick download. I can just flop on the couch and hmmm, what do I want to read...hmmm...THAT, done. I love the "sample" option, you can read a good chunk of the book before you decide to buy it or not...so, The Paris Wife, yes....White Dresses? No...it was that easy.

I see how I can Shop the Kindle Store...what's the key to getting free books from Amazon? Go easy on me, I'm only 2 days into it! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    (For the poster who likes to check out library books - you might find the Nook to be a more appealing e-reader.)
    Why?
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I'll come out of the closet. "Hello my name is Ridinwyoming and I'm a Kindle Addict". I feel better now!

I just love the little light that pulls up on the cover so I can read in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I see how I can Shop the Kindle Store...what's the key to getting free books from Amazon?
    Free books via Amazon
    http://tinyurl.com/3j5sbdu

Also see Free Books from Project Gutenberg
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

and other sources listed at
    http://mashable.com/2010/12/25/free-kindle-books/

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I see how I can Shop the Kindle Store...what's the key to getting free books from Amazon? Go easy on me, I'm only 2 days into it! LOL
    Sort by Price, lowest to highest. Then see alllll the $0 ones! Eeeeeeeh

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    Why?
    The Nook supports the format that libraries use for the titles they have available as e-books - the Kindle doesn't (altho' there reportedly are work-arounds)