The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Algae in water tank

Is there anything non-toxic (for horses) that one can put into a water tank to prevent algae growth?

Some people use goldfish! Apparently it cuts back algae almost completely!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

The goldfish do help Alicat. But you are going to laugh cuz my cats learned to fish and would wait by the float for the tank to start refilling when a horse was drinking. The fish would come up and the cat would hook them.

I could not stand it anymore as some pretty fish meant a rather untimely death that way. Not to mention a couple younger gelding were laying for the cats and seemed to enjoy knocking them into the water. Conflict between the species!

Copper Sulfate works and is pretty easy to find out there at feed stores, mills etc.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    The goldfish do help Alicat. But you are going to laugh cuz my cats learned to fish and would wait by the float for the tank to start refilling when a horse was drinking. The fish would come up and the cat would hook them.

I could not stand it anymore as some pretty fish meant a rather untimely death that way. Not to mention a couple younger gelding were laying for the cats and seemed to enjoy knocking them into the water. Conflict between the species!

Copper Sulfate works and is pretty easy to find out there at feed stores, mills etc.

During the summer months I add apple cider vinegar to my water trough, dog buckets, etc. It slows the growth of algae, but does not prevent it.

Bleach works pretty well, it also keeps the mosquito larvae at bay. About 1/2 cup per 100 or so gallons. It makes it like "city" water. Most horses do not mind, I have one that loves it and will wait for me to put it in for her - she likes it strong.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

There's tabs at Tractor Supply that you can buy....Natural Defense? Stock Tank Defense? Something like that (NOT "stock tank secret" which is a barley bag and does NOT work!) They're a little pricey, but they last for 2-3 months and there's like 6 to a bag for around $12-15.

I kinda like the goldfish idea I'd have to bring them in for the winter though or else they would turn into fish-cicles (the tank would freeze solid if I left water in it over the winter).

Sadly no Tractor Supply here in Denmark.

Default Gold Fish

I have gold fish in all 6 of my 100 gallon tanks. About 2-3 in each. This is my second summer using them. They do not seem to help with algae here in North Carolina, but they do take care of mosquito larvae. I brought the fish in last winter but I hope to have a small pond for them built by this winter.
    I also started this year with laundry bags of barley straw in each tank. I think it helped to some degree, but I have playful horses that think it's fun to bob for it and destroy the bag- even when I use something to weigh it to the bottom of the tank.
    Can I use copper sulfate with the gold fish? What form does it come in?
    Thanks,
    Cydney Rae
    Salisbury, NC
    www.cydraecenter.com

Quote Originally Posted by CydRae View Post
    I have gold fish in all 6 of my 100 gallon tanks. About 2-3 in each. This is my second summer using them. They do not seem to help with algae here in North Carolina, but they do take care of mosquito larvae. I brought the fish in last winter but I hope to have a small pond for them built by this winter.
    I also started this year with laundry bags of barley straw in each tank. I think it helped to some degree, but I have playful horses that think it's fun to bob for it and destroy the bag- even when I use something to weigh it to the bottom of the tank.
    Can I use copper sulfate with the gold fish? What form does it come in?
    Thanks,
    Cydney Rae
    Salisbury, NC
    www.cydraecenter.com
    That is a good question and I do not know. Copper sulfate is an algecide. Copper sulfate is also used to treat some fish diseases. But copper sulfate is toxic to fish also. At what concentration I am not sure and how sensitive goldfish are I do not know.

If you clean your tank once a week you won't have this problem.

The KISS Principle, don't you know.

G.

So in googling to see if the goldfish could tolerate copper sulfate I ran acrossed this list....

http://extension.missouri.edu/webste...e-control.html

Default Dichloro-s-triazinetrione

Yes -- it works and its so dang simple and, like mzm farm indicates, my horses actually love the taste. Its granular chlorine and its very inexpensive.

Example: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Dichlor...b-P618C43.aspx

I add one scant teaspoon per week to a 100 gallon trough, after I spray out (note -- spray, not scrub) the tank and add fresh water. I top off the trough throughout the week, but don't add any more of the dichlor. Its granular, and it dissolves quickly in the trough. I use it year round.

I'm sure its available in Denmark, if there are any hot tubs there . Be sure to get some that's 99% "dichlor".

I researched this product first, and found that it is used to sanitize human water systems as well as water used by our military. That's where I figured out how much to use in the trough.

I also use a stock tank filter, which circulates the water and clears out some of the small floating stuff, but I think you'd enjoy the no-algae/no scrubbing without the filter.

Filter: http://www.horse.com/item/k-and-h-cl...c-001b2166c62d

But any type of filter would work, such as a small pump with filter, used in ornamental or koi ponds.

Its one of my least expensive, but most cherished horse keeping secrets. I literally NEVER scrub the trough anymore, and its not slimy to the touch. And the horses consume ALOT more water, year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozalynda View Post
    Is there anything non-toxic (for horses) that one can put into a water tank to prevent algae growth?
    Goldfish! Works wonders.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    If you clean your tank once a week you won't have this problem.

The KISS Principle, don't you know.

G.
    I will have algae on my tanks in 12 hours if I don't have the goldfish.

In addition, I've got 300 gallon tanks, and the water supply will not take kindly to that kind of unnecessary turnover.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Some people use goldfish! Apparently it cuts back algae almost completely!
    Not in ours--they eat mosquito larve, but they don't do squat for algae. You'd have to get an algae eater or a pleco to specifically eat the algae.

We have 2 goldfish per tank and I still have to clean the trough out once a week to clean out the algae.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
    Yes -- it works and its so dang simple and, like mzm farm indicates, my horses actually love the taste. Its granular chlorine and its very inexpensive.

Example: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Dichlor...b-P618C43.aspx

I add one scant teaspoon per week to a 100 gallon trough, after I spray out (note -- spray, not scrub) the tank and add fresh water. I top off the trough throughout the week, but don't add any more of the dichlor. Its granular, and it dissolves quickly in the trough. I use it year round.

I'm sure its available in Denmark, if there are any hot tubs there . Be sure to get some that's 99% "dichlor".

I researched this product first, and found that it is used to sanitize human water systems as well as water used by our military. That's where I figured out how much to use in the trough.

I also use a stock tank filter, which circulates the water and clears out some of the small floating stuff, but I think you'd enjoy the no-algae/no scrubbing without the filter.

Filter: http://www.horse.com/item/k-and-h-cl...c-001b2166c62d

But any type of filter would work, such as a small pump with filter, used in ornamental or koi ponds.

Its one of my least expensive, but most cherished horse keeping secrets. I literally NEVER scrub the trough anymore, and its not slimy to the touch. And the horses consume ALOT more water, year round.
    This is very interesting too. I wonder if it would work for our ducks.

OK, so I went to the pet store today to get some goldfish. I told the guy at the store what the project was and he said, oh you don't want goldfish you want grass carp because eating algae is what they do best.

So fine, there they were these little grey fish the same size as the goldfish. Great. So I bought 5 for my 1000 liter tank.

Well, I got home and looked them up on the net and learned among other things:

"The grass carp grows very rapidly, and young fish stocked in the spring at 20 centimetres (7.9 in) will reach over 45 centimetres (18 in) by fall, and adults often attain nearly 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) in length and over 18 kilograms (40 lb) in weight. According to one study, they live an average of 5-9 years with the oldest gaining 11 years. [7] They eat up to 3 times their own body weight daily. They thrive in small lakes and backwaters that provide an abundant supply of fresh water vegetation"

YIKES!!!

And found pictures to back it up.

EGADS!

Sounds like they are good eating though, so maybe I'll have a carp bake at the end of the season

This thread could ony get better if someone will post a great baked carp recipe.

Totally have a tummy ache now from laughing. Want pics of those little fishies when they are bigger and look like whales in your water tank

Quote Originally Posted by Ozalynda View Post
    OK, so I went to the pet store today to get some goldfish. I told the guy at the store what the project was and he said, oh you don't want goldfish you want grass carp because eating algae is what they do best.

So fine, there they were these little grey fish the same size as the goldfish. Great. So I bought 5 for my 1000 liter tank.

Well, I got home and looked them up on the net and learned among other things:

"The grass carp grows very rapidly, and young fish stocked in the spring at 20 centimetres (7.9 in) will reach over 45 centimetres (18 in) by fall, and adults often attain nearly 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) in length and over 18 kilograms (40 lb) in weight. According to one study, they live an average of 5-9 years with the oldest gaining 11 years. [7] They eat up to 3 times their own body weight daily. They thrive in small lakes and backwaters that provide an abundant supply of fresh water vegetation"

YIKES!!!

And found pictures to back it up.

EGADS!

Sounds like they are good eating though, so maybe I'll have a carp bake at the end of the season
    Sounds like a win-win. No more worries about what to do come fall!