The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Do you cry easily?

Random question.

I think it runs in my family b/c my grandfather was a real sentimental guy and so is my dad. My cry trigger is embarrassingly sensitive and for the most ridiculous reasons. Sometimes it's just funny and I end up cracking up and crying at the same time. Seriously, a sappy dogfood commercial could do it. But it is what it is.

Anyone else?
    Jer 29: 11-13

Rarely until I had kids. Now some days anything can set me off. I think the kids broke me

I'm super quick to cry. I'm a cryer. and that makes me SO MAD, that I cry even harder. It's a vicious cycle....
    "The best hearts are ever the bravest"

Yes, I am a cryer. I cry when I am extremely mad...which makes it difficult to communicate what I am feeling because I look like I am a big cry baby. I cry when I am extremely happy and a sad, or a not so sad song on the radio can make me cry.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Yes, but it is strange. Really stupid and simple things will make me cry, whereas sometimes much more serious and important things will not.

I am not a cryer... the two instances of real tears I can think of (both of which embarassed me) were watching Marley & Me on an airplane where I had no way to escape or hide my tears, and when my boss sat me down for a formal reprimand after an email was taken out of context by the big boss... yeah, that one was really awkward.

I had no idea I wasn't a cryer until I was 12 and sitting at my grandmother's funeral and everyone else was crying and I felt SO guilty that I was not. Since then I've just accepted it. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to cry.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Yes, but it is strange. Really stupid and simple things will make me cry, whereas sometimes much more serious and important things will not.
    I understand that. In the middle of a crisis or very serious situation, I'm generally very calm.... sometimes the calmest one present and giving instruction. But immediately after? Tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Archieflies
    Sometimes it would be nice to be able to cry.
    Must be a "grass is greener..." type thing. There are many times I wish I wasn't a crier or sit there listening to something moving and mentally thinking/coaching myself, "Oh, no... This is going to make me cry. Please don't cry! Please don't cry! Please don't cry...!!!!" And if that person is grieving and crying, forget it. I cannot stand to see anyone hurt emotionally.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Mostly when I'm extremely mad, then I get mad because I cry when I'm mad. I hate that!
    I'm also too empathetic with others at times. If you're crying because you lost your dog, I will not let you cry alone, but if you're crying because your jerk of a bf stood you up, you shoulder that one...lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'm not a cryer. Can't remember the last time I really cried.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Nope. Not a cryer. Can't cry even when sad, especially can't in front of people (not don't want, simply can't). Kind of envy those who can let flood gate open whenever they desire.

I am a huge cryer... getting yelled at is the biggest trigger, besides sentimental things. A friend jokes that people could be yelling nice things at me--"Sarah, you're an awesome person!!!! I really really like you!!!" and I'll be sobbing... I also had the formal reprimand at work for an e-mail taken out of context, and as my boss was screaming at me, I was just sitting there blubbering and unable to say a word in my defense...

But then I'm more likely to laugh than cry at a funeral or in a generally serious situation... sigh.

yep, Im a cryer. I hate it! I think of myself as a pretty strong person, but Ill cry at a sad scene on a movie, when Im disappointed after a bad ride at a show, or when I see a certain breed of dog that I used to have (makes me think of that dog). I especially hate when I cry after a bad ride. It makes me seem like a bad sport, but its really just disappointment in myself mixed with the stress of a show.

My mom is this way too, I wonder if its learned, genetic, or neither.

This! lol.

Me too. I used to cry A LOT. Then my mom died and I think it broke me. I cried a bit when she died, but not like I thought I would. Stupid commercials and TV shows can give me a lump in my throat. (The exception to not crying for serious things is when my heart cat died... I cried for weeks).

I might be broken.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I'm not one who cries much with regards to my life, but put a sad commercial, movie or book in front of me and I'm a sobbing mess!
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

There's nothing wrong with crying or fully experiencing any of the other emotions in your palette. For some reason crying has gotten a bad reputation, possibly because it usually is associated with sadness or loss, although it also can apply to joy or over the top laughter.

What's annoying is when one emotes in a situation where it doesn't seem to fit, particularly because it seems to upset other people. (I think trying to provide some lightness and maybe even a chuckle at a funeral is not inappropriate. I've done a lot of eulogies and it fits in well.)

Being cut off from your emotions is much more of a problem than experiencing them. And much more commonly afflicts men.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

ME ME ME. and I HATE it. I will cry if i start feeling bad for myself like in interviews. Blew a college interview that way once the questions started getting tough. NOT something I can control, but man oh man if I could, I'd be alot happier person.

Yep...commercials do it. Oh, and anytime there is a video of horses running in slow motion (music in the background helps open the flood gates), then I'm a goner. Reading poetry about animals dying (Rainbow Bridge and such)...ugh. I got all teary at work when I happened upon the trailer for War Horse.

If a friend is crying, I cry. If my Mom is crying....I'm DEFINITELY holding back the tears (or just sobbing out loud).

It's gotten worse as I've gotten older...no kids, no huge life changes...just life, I guess.

Honestly, it depends. I used to cry a LOT more, but I don't as much now (most likely due to my meds). I don't cry too much anymore about stuff happening to me, but if someone else is crying, I will cry or tear up. I also cry very easily when watching movies.

Yes I am a cryer. sigh.

I can not watch movies with horses because I cry. Not boo hoo cry but I tear up. HATE it.

Heck I cried/teared lots in the last Harry Potter movie.

I hate it.

So happy I am not the only one who watches horses run, or be in movies and I tear up. Tears, and then my nose runs.

Also sad movies.

I had a really sad time in my early 20's. I think this really taught me how to cry. I cried lots then. Now, I can cry easy or tear up. Hate to say cry, but I guess it is cry. sniff.