The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New book about Snowman and Harry de Leyer

There's a new book coming out next week about Snowman and Harry de Leyer by Elizabeth Letts. (I received a free review copy via Amazon Vine.)

She's tried to write a book in the vein of Lauren Hildebrand's Seabiscuit, weaving the horse's career in with the history of the time. She talks about de Leyer's life as a youngster during the Nazi occupation and his decision to leave his war-torn country so that his younger brother could inherit the family farm.

She was able to interview deLeyer extensively, which shows in her final writing.

Snowman was bought for $80 off the meat truck to be a lesson horse for the Knox school - and most of the girls rode him at one point... though he was the beginner horse that you were glad to graduate from. Little kids rode him even at the height of his jumping career.

de Leyer broke him to ride - before Harry, the horse was most likely used only in harness - and tried to teach him to jump, but he was too clumsy. It wasn't until he sold Snowman as a quiet beginner horse that he discovered the horse could jump - because Snowman would not stay with his new owner. Instead, he jumped out of his paddock and came back to Harry every morning... even, finally, with a tire still attached to the lead rope of his halter.

It's not perfect - it rambles a little and can be repetitive, but for us die-hard fans, definitely a good read.

More about Harry and Snowman:
    http://www.showjumpinghalloffame.net.../snowman.shtml
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Oohhh I can't wait to read it. My parents saw Snowman jump when I was a little horse crazy girl. I've always wished I had seen him. This is definitely my kind of story.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I have preordered it on Amazon! I can't wait!

Yeah, I ordered it a while back - they gave an estimated shipping date of Aug ..... I forget now, to Sept 2nd.

Occasionally I check the status, always says "not shipped yet".

Guys ~ another good read you might like, if you live in the Northern Va area or grew up riding in Leesburg/Middleburg ~ Renegade Champion, by Richard R. Rust

I stumbled upon it while ordering other books on Amazon. I won't spoil the fun, go to Amazon and read the reviews. It really is a fun read, you won't be dissapointed at all.

The Advance Review Copy says it will be released August 26.

I hear the real copy has a whole photo place section that the ARCs didn't have. That would be neat.

I had forgotten, before reading this, that de Leyer had brought Sinjon to the national level before the ride was given to George Morris for his Team efforts (Harry was not USET eligible). It would have been interesting for Letts to interview GM and to have developed a bit more about Sinjon. A random person reading the book would have no idea that Sinjon turned out to be a brilliant jumper and Olympic medallist for the American team, and was also inducted into the Show Jumping Hall of Fame.

http://www.showjumpinghalloffame.net...s/sinjon.shtml
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

This looks like fun! Thanks for the tip!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Snowman's story was always one of my favorites growing up! I loved how he'd jump the fence to go back to his former owner, LOL. Looking forward to the book!

I can't wait to read it. Hopefully they make a movie about it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkenStormy View Post
    I have preordered it on Amazon! I can't wait!
    Me too. I have the kids book and always loved the story.

Nice article about it in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/n...de-leyer_n.htm

There's also a gallery of photos, including six de Leyer children arrayed on his back in the waters of Long Island Sound.