The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool What would you expect to pay?

What would you expect to pay for a foxhunter with theses specs...6-10 yrs ,16-17 hands ,elegant ,good mover ,some dressage training (i.e. goes on bit Easily) ,good ,safe jumper without having a huge jump.Should be competetive in hunter paces and field trials,yet quiet enough to go first field with the husband.Oh ,and he needs to be pretty!
    I am looking for such a beast ,and not having a lot of luck.

Here in Northern VA, a friend sells those exact horses in the $20K-$40K range.

Quote Originally Posted by sar2008 View Post
    Here in Northern VA, a friend sells those exact horses in the $20K-$40K range.
    Easily in that price range or more up here in PA.

We are in No.Va. She is trying to do it for under 20K.I have said that is going to be hard to do.Can you pm me the name of your seller friend ?

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    We are in No.Va. She is trying to do it for under 20K.I have said that is going to be hard to do.Can you pm me the name of your seller friend ?
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    Thats a long list of requirements for under $20K. A seasoned hunt horse, safe, quiet, forgiving, fancy with dressage training.....if they were under $20K everyone would have one

PMing you, as I also know someone who sells that type of horse. Thanks!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

That is very hard for under $20k. I sell field hunters that match your description, and I don't have one in that price range, unless they haven't hunted a full season yet.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I'm not a good reference point since I've never paid more than $4k for a horse, most have been free to dog food prices.

However, I would just observe 'in general' that one should expect to pay more for 'fancy' regardless of intended use, and that on the safety side (worth way more $$ to me personally, I'm of the handsome is as handsome does school), you can invest the money in the horse, or in the hospital bills. If you are getting a well made field hunter, someone else has assumed that latter risk for you, already.

I love Beverly's comment............"You can invest in the horse or the hospital".I'll remember that. I always ask when people will pay a lot for a show horse, but want to pay little for a foxhunter........"so, what is your life worth?"

The other question, if you HAVE a horse like you're describing would you SELL it for that? I wouldn't!!

You need to find someone in in a distress sale to get a price near your range for the calibur of horse you're describing........
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Pretty much the conclusion I had drawn.

Hi everyone. I've been reading these forums for years but just recently joined. Can anybody recommend any websites that have the type of horses the op is referring to? I am familiar with foxhuntinghorse.com and virginiasporthorses.com. Are there any other sites I should be keeping my eye on? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    I'm not a good reference point since I've never paid more than $4k for a horse, most have been free to dog food prices.

However, I would just observe 'in general' that one should expect to pay more for 'fancy' regardless of intended use, and that on the safety side (worth way more $$ to me personally, I'm of the handsome is as handsome does school), you can invest the money in the horse, or in the hospital bills. If you are getting a well made field hunter, someone else has assumed that latter risk for you, already.
    This. Always.

Is your friend negotiable on age and the "fancy"? 6-10 years old is the age range that everybody seems to want, no matter what riding sport you're into. Perhaps consider horses a little older than that?

And like others have said, fancy always seems more expensive

Nope not really. She has a lovely older guy who she is moving on while he is still marketable,in order to afford the younger fancier model.If she didn't want younger and fancier she wouldn't sell her guy,and may not if she can't replace him.

Talking the right connections are important!

shoot I sold one like that 17 hand gray DWB gelding, , fabulous jump; for #13 k as dressage horse to a 13 year old Pony clubber; I had misgivings, when her first words were "can you get his head down?"He has changed hands 2 more times and is somewhere as a dressage horse, sigh, he is very good but his "vocation was foxhunting; I wish I had been able to keep him for myself but, had to sell one horse and he was the one people wanted; no wonder, I wanted him, too My regret though is not having been able to sell him where he could do the job he loved; bt, I was told no one would pay $13k for a foxhunter, that was in 1994; I realize now that, I did not have the social ( foxhunting) contacts to get it done
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Well ,in 1994 it might have been harder to get more for your horse. I think .16 years later ,I think 20k gets you what 13 k would back then.

A lot of people use Irish horses for hunting might try www.irishdraught.com Also Bridon Irish Draughts (owners) hunt in VA and have several horses for sale. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Jun. 29, 2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: to remove advertising
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Thanks Horsetales. I personally love the Irish horses. Haven't found any meeting buyers spec though.They also tend to run heavily to greys and chestnuts which she doesn't like.I notice the really nice ones are Private Treaty sale ,so more than 20k.

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    The other question, if you HAVE a horse like you're describing would you SELL it for that? I wouldn't!!
    If I had one like that I wouldn't sell him for anything. Especially if he was anywhere in the neighborhood of 6yrs.

Your friend sounds picky (or is it particular ?). Picky usually has to pay.