The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin Off - Gays/Homosexuality

Ah, my first controversial OT Day topic.

My BFF is very Christian, raised in a very Christian family. In their church lobby there's a poster saying "Homosexuality: What Would Jesus Do?" and up in the kids room there is a poster that says, and I kid you not, "It's not OK to be gay!"

I am ALL for gay/lesbian rights, they are normal people just like absolutely everybody else. But...that's just me. Other opinions?

ETA: Not saying all Christians are like this, just her particular type.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

How can you be "BFF"s with someone like that unless you have been brainwashed... I mean raised in the same manner?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think that you'll find that most of the frequent posters on here are pro-gay whatever the issue is.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    How can you be "BFF"s with someone like that unless you have been brainwashed... I mean raised in the same manner?
    The same way a straight person can be friends with a gay person... They are accepting.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

My opinion is the same as yours, and posters like that probably serve only to confuse kids even more.

I have a 20 year old friend, almost 10 years my junior, who was raised in a "Christian household" as she puts it. She turns 21 in a MONTH, lives at home, has no credit, etc etc, and her only real life experiences have been through her family. I had just finished an awesome book several months back, a fictional take on the life of Jesus and it touched on the scrolls that are banned by the church that are said to be more his words and less the church's take on it (the name of the scrolls escapes me, maybe Dead Sea Scrolls?). Anyways, I was talking about the book because it was just very interesting, and she said she had been taught they were the devil because of her upbringing even though she also didn't know what they contained. I just thought it was so weird, that someone would be brought up in a way that someone dismisses something off-hand.

I dunno, sort of only tangently connected, but still. The church does weird stuff sometimes...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    The same way a straight person can be friends with a gay person... They are accepting.
    Not really the same, unless the straight person in your example believes being gay is wrong/sinful and is still friends with said gay person. Is that what you meant?

I don't give a flying rats behind what consenting adults do. And IMHO the world would be a lot better place to live if everybody just minded their own business about other folks personal lives.

I find it extremely hypocritical when the same people who are yelling about intrusive federal government and complaining about how their "rights" are being taken away are often the most strident proponents of denying those same rights to gay people.

Really, they need to STFU and not worry about what other people do behind closed doors. Because that's all it really boils down to.

I am gay, and my childhood best friend (with whom I am still good friends, and whose mom taught me to ride) is Mormon. She doesn't tell me that I'm going to Hell, and I don't tell her that I think her church is horribly mistaken. Tolerance - it's a beautiful thing.

That said, I think the hell on earth that some churches put gay kids/other members through is inexcusable.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Not really the same, unless the straight person in your example believes being gay is wrong/sinful and is still friends with said gay person. Is that what you meant?
    Sort of the same.. Yes, actually IMO the same. Two parties have differences, and yet they can each look past the differences (whether that be sexuality or religion) and viola! They can be friends. Hmm... Perhaps I could become a political advisor?
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Tolerance - it's a beautiful thing.
    This is a WONDERFUL quote that applies to life in general
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    This is a WONDERFUL quote that applies to life in general
    Agreed
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I had just finished an awesome book several months back, a fictional take on the life of Jesus and it touched on the scrolls that are banned by the church that are said to be more his words and less the church's take on it (the name of the scrolls escapes me, maybe Dead Sea Scrolls?).
    On a quick tangent...which book were you reading? That sounds interesting.

You know something? I feel really bad for Jesus. There is an awful lot of hate being spewed in his name these days.

I went to Catholic school for 5 years. And I learned quite a bit. Learned that the nuns are more liberal than most people think. And I learned that when you actually listen and study the gospels Jesus was a pretty liberal and forgiving guy. He wasn't hanging around with the powerful. He was friends with the prostitutes and the poor.

The two most important messages you can take from his life are to love one another and not to judge. Those are the two most common themes in the New Testament. Seems to me that the Evangelical Christians fall back to the Old Testament in order to justify their bigotry. They aren't following the words of their Saviour at all.

If Jesus were here today? He'd be championing for gay rights and campaigning to expand social services not cut funding to the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    You know something? I feel really bad for Jesus. There is an awful lot of hate being spewed in his name these days.

I went to Catholic school for 5 years. And I learned quite a bit. Learned that the nuns are more liberal than most people think. And I learned that when you actually listen and study the gospels Jesus was a pretty liberal and forgiving guy. He wasn't hanging around with the powerful. He was friends with the prostitutes and the poor.

The two most important messages you can take from his life are to love one another and not to judge. Those are the two most common themes in the New Testament. Seems to me that the Evangelical Christians fall back to the Old Testament in order to justify their bigotry. They aren't following the words of their Saviour at all.

If Jesus were here today? He'd be championing for gay rights and campaigning to expand social services not cut funding to the poor.
    *claps*
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

True dat (oh no, I've gone ghetto) People should just mind their own business and not worry about the folks next door who might (gasp!) be Gay. What the heck do they care whether two people of the same sex live together and love each other. Why do they care? It has no implication on their lives so why is it their business. IME, I know/have known quite a number of gay/lesbian couples and they are more accepting and friendly people that I have had the pleasure of knowing. One is a former eventer and she has given me tons of great books and videos from her collection (The deNemathy Method, the gymnastic training book by J. Woffard and others) and is organizing a bunch of tack for me to purchase at a very cut rate price if payment at all. Who gives a rat's ass what her sexuality is? She's just a good person all the way around.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Yep, lcw. I inadvertently ended up teaching religion because I teach history. I had a GREAT student once who insisted I read about the life of Jesus and gave me a book. I begrudgingly read it. When I see so much bad going on in the name of Jesus, I just KNOW Jesus would never do any of those things or say any of those things. None of the history shows anything but a man who wanted people to be good to each other, help the poor, feed the hungry, heal the sick, etc. He seems like a good man. I wish all those who acted in his name would act like him.

YES!!
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    Yep. She has her beliefs on this, I have mine...I do not bother her about it and she (usually) doesn't bother me.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Quote Originally Posted by kristinq View Post
    YES!!
    since insomnia is knocking I'm joining this party for a few

so... if you think he's champion gay rights how do you think he's feel about the rights of the unborn?

sorry lol. couldn't resist.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Well, if we're going to talk about the Bible, to my reading it is pretty pro-choice. I know all the usual anti-choice quotes, but the big one ("I knew you when you were formed in the womb" or however it goes...it's past my bedtime and I have no head for quotes anyway ) is specifically referring to Jeremiah, unless we were all specifically appointed to be prophets to the nations.

In fact, in Exodus it specifically mentions that if a pregnant woman is harmed and miscarries, the men who are responsible should be fined, while if they injure her or kill her, the old "eye for an eye" punishment is in effect. Numbers specifically describes a "test" for a pregnant woman who is suspected of adultery--she is given a potion to drink and if she miscarries as a result, the fetus was conceived through adultery or something bizarre like that. And I'm pretty sure I recall at least one or two OT battles where the enemies were cursed with miscarriages by God (for the Egyptians it was "post-birth abortions" in the form of firstborn sons)...so I guess heathen babies don't count? For that matter, IIRC the Catholic Church has only considered abortion to be murder for the last century or two.

Combining all that with the fact that Jesus didn't seem to think it was worth mentioning (and it's not like they didn't terminate pregnancies back then, it was just through riskier herbal means such as the ones described in Numbers), I'm thinking if you asked him about the rights of the unborn, he'd probably say, "Huh?"

Catersun, you troublemaker, you!