The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Default I love my husband ...

But he just weed-whacked a bunch of lantana I carefully transplanted yesterday. We are trying to spruce up the yard some in hopes of putting the house on the market eventually. It was a new variety and I was very excited about having it. And then I went out to water it this evening and ... carnage.

I love the man, but we are obviously going to have to chat about what is a weed and what is not a weed. Or better yet, if it's in the flowerbed (i.e., there's mulch around it), let me deal with it.

Poor lantanas.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Oh my god, I feel your pain!

I transplanted beautiful sunflowers all around 2 sides of my barn this spring (no flower heads yet though). And then about a week later I hear the weed-whacker going......and see my fiance in the vicinity of the barn.

Needless to say....only about 5 plants survived. God, I was so mad for about 45 minutes over it.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

oh, that's your fault, for not showing him that you moved it.

I am kidding!
    sorry to hear about your plants, I don't have a green thumb, I have a black one, I can kill plastic plants. perhaps it will grow back next year .

Default Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    Oh my god, I feel your pain!
    I have to laugh or I'd cry (or kill him) . . . I have resorted to putting up stakes to mark off an area I don't want him to mow, or mark the oak sapling I planted, etc.

been there....

with a little luck the lantanas come back....they are tough little cookies...

fence it in...always...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Timely thread! My uncle just whacked off most of my mom's wisteria, 'cutting it back'. My mom nearly died when she stepped outside and saw 5 years of growth gone.
    As I kept telling her, it DOES grow back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    The very sad merit badge earned by a true horsewoman: the one where she puts the horse before herself. The most gracious final reward any horse can hope for, and lucky are those horses who receive it.

Hmmmmmm.. About twenty french lavenders. Amazing what a marriage can survive, really.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by hightide View Post
    Timely thread! My uncle just whacked off most of my mom's wisteria, 'cutting it back'. My mom nearly died when she stepped outside and saw 5 years of growth gone.
    As I kept telling her, it DOES grow back!

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA, it needs it!

Like the trumpet vine (AKA humming bird vine) my SIL chopped down one year....man it took off....(don't ever plant one of those...ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My husband and roundup are a bad mix. He has killed rose bushes of mine. Yup, they all do it. During certain times I ponder the joys that having a gay husband could bring. Someone who could actually cook, buy me fashionable clothes for Christmas, not give my $200.00 quilt to the puking cat and yes, someone who can help me care for my flowers.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If it looks like grass, whack away. If it doesn't look like grass, NO TOUCHIE!!!

Fingers crossed that the lantana make it. They just got transplanted yesterday though ... ahhhhh. I had words of anger for the man when I got back in from watering.

Silly me ... thought if I put it in the same flowerbed as the roses, and there was obviously fresh mulch around it, he would know. Apparently when I tell him I have transplanted some flowers I need to make him pause his computer game first.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    During certain times I ponder the joys that having a gay husband could bring. Someone who could actually cook, buy me fashionable clothes for Christmas, not give my $200.00 quilt to the puking cat and yes, someone who can help me care for my flowers.

so sorry about the flowers

slightly off topic, last year my SO got the genius idea to plant the garden under my horse's window, then had the audacity to fuss that my horse was eating his corn...really

Does anyone besides me think men sometimes do these things on purpose?

That they really aren't as ignorant as their actions would have you believe and it's just a sinister plot to get out of ever having to do a particular task again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Does anyone besides me think men sometimes do these things on purpose?

That they really aren't as ignorant as their actions would have you believe and it's just a sinister plot to get out of ever having to do a particular task again?
    I would be willing to bet Mr. EqT has ruined clothing to get out of doing laundry. No man so smart could be so stupid as to not understand dark socks cant be washed with white clothes... Could he? Or... Could he?!!!

Eqt wanders off, speculating....
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My husband is not allowed to mow . He has killed entirely too many plants for me to allow him to go near the mower again. Plus mowing is one of my favorite chores. I have no nice clothes anyhow, so I gave him laundry duty instead
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I would be willing to bet Mr. EqT has ruined clothing to get out of doing laundry. No man so smart could be so stupid as to not understand dark socks cant be washed with white clothes... Could he? Or... Could he?!!!

Eqt wanders off, speculating....
    My husband got a rigorous lesson in How To Do Laundry when he threw two cashmere sweaters in the washer on the regular cycle. And then put them in the dryer. For an hour. On high.

There's now a list above the dryer titled "Things That Do Not Go In The Dryer".

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    My husband got a rigorous lesson in How To Do Laundry when he threw two cashmere sweaters in the washer on the regular cycle. And then put them in the dryer. For an hour. On high.

There's now a list above the dryer titled "Things That Do Not Go In The Dryer".
    Tried that. Then he fried the cashmere. I think it was a plan. Diabolical!
    ---

Yeah, a list wouldn't help Mr. Way either. He wouldn't recognize a cashmere sweater if it jumped up and bit him.

However, I don't think I've ever had a job where I didn't come home covered in filth - from jet fuel and hydraulic fluid, to things like mud and manure. So Mr. Way doesn't get let off the hook for his inability to sort.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Laundry for Mr. Stolen is off limits for all of my clothes-especially lingerie which has been washed on hot and dried on high for an hour as well.

Dinner is off limits since the kids have endured tomato soup over pasta-I still hear about it from my kids.

I do really dream of a gay husband-how bad could it be ?

I brought this up on another OT. SO decided the lawn was brown because I wasn't watering right (we get no water in the summer) so one day I look out in the yard, and he has a shovel and is DIGGING UP the lawn because "in my country they do it this way and it comes back green."

After it didn't, then he decided the dirt on the hill must be better because it has lots of greenery, so he started hauling buckets of dirt and put it on the lawn, and left it in an lumpy piles. "It will grow."

It didn't. That's only half the story. He's still alive.