The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Very Sad Day.. Devoucoux doesn't fit.

I bought a ottb 2 months ago. And I have been in denial just how bad my Chiberta Devoucoux fits.

Yesterday I decided to use my sister's dressage saddle which has the interchangable gullets, and I used the medium narrow. It fit much better and he moved a lot better.

I love my devoucoux, I bought it new, had it fitted to me and my old horse (who was a TB too, but a little wider and more developed), paid extra for the buffalo leather.

I'm in love with my saddle I should have brought it around and tried it on horses during the horse shopping process (I'm sorta kidding). I thought about keeping it, but it probably won't ever fit this guy, and who knows if it'll fit any future horses. I also thought about getting the saddle fitter thinline pad or another pad that has inserts and just padding up the wither area. But I realize that that is not a long term solution and will just prolong the denial/process. right?

Any suggestions on any good saddles for shark fin withers?

Maybe one day I'll get another custom, but I don't want another heart break so I'm not going to go down that path again any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LLong View Post
    I bought a ottb 2 months ago. And I have been in denial just how bad my Chiberta Devoucoux fits.

Yesterday I decided to use my sister's dressage saddle which has the interchangable gullets, and I used the medium narrow. It fit much better and he moved a lot better.

I love my devoucoux, I bought it new, had it fitted to me and my old horse (who was a TB too, but a little wider and more developed), paid extra for the buffalo leather.

I'm in love with my saddle I should have brought it around and tried it on horses during the horse shopping process (I'm sorta kidding). I thought about keeping it, but it probably won't ever fit this guy, and who knows if it'll fit any future horses. I also thought about getting the saddle fitter thinline pad or another pad that has inserts and just padding up the wither area. But I realize that that is not a long term solution and will just prolong the denial/process. right?

Any suggestions on any good saddles for shark fin withers?

Maybe one day I'll get another custom, but I don't want another heart break so I'm not going to go down that path again any time soon.
    For shark fin withers you will probably want a saddle with a high head, gussets, and K panels or similar.

Albions and Black Countries come in these options for between $2,500 and $3,000; the Kent & Masters can be made thusly for I think $1,800.
    I know the Albion tree can be modified by a good fitter in case you end up selling your horse; no experience with the Black Countries.

I believe the Kent & Masters also has an interchangeable gullet which can help (but not guarantee!) your saddle fit the next horse in case you end up selling this one. All in all it is a good option for someone who doesn't necessarily want to get a new saddle every time they get a new horse as it provides a lot of flexibility and adjustability in the fit.

OTTB you've had for 2 months?

don't give up on your Dev just yet.
    Keep it, especially if your horse is younger.

pick up a saddle that works for now and maybe you can sell it and use your Dev again in the future!

Or, develop a pad system that works.
    I have a saddle that is a big wide and I use an Equinity Performance Viso Elastic pad with it. It snugs/lifts it up a bit.
    And/or try a Mattes or Equinity Shim pad. They allow you to make gussets with padding.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

A saddle's just a thing. And fortunately for you, your saddle has very good resale value! Sell and get a new custom. You will love again, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    A saddle's just a thing. And fortunately for you, your saddle has very good resale value! Sell and get a new custom. You will love again, I promise.
    Yeah I was thinking about holding on to it just in case it fits another horse down the road. But the resale value is good now, there's no point in holding on to something that will just depreciate and gather dust. And god only knows I'll probably try to MAKE it fit another horse again, or this guy if he fills out.

Aren't all Devoucoux made on the same tree, just with custom panels? I believe the reps can come out, strip off the panels, and make custom ones for your new horse for about $500.

If it's a "fillling out" issue and not a "wrong shape entirely" issue, wait a little while. Is there a saddle you can borrow/ride in for a few more months? My OTTB went from a medium tree that was on the narrow side to a wide tree in just over a year. She filled out a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Aren't all Devoucoux made on the same tree, just with custom panels? I believe the reps can come out, strip off the panels, and make custom ones for your new horse for about $500.
    For about the same price you can get it refitted by GOOD saddle fitters I would not let the Devoucoux people touch it. I had my Devoucoux redone with a wider channel and it fits 80% of the horses I ride instead of 10 % that it used to. Get someone good to redo, don't trust Devoucoux if you deceide to keep it. PM me if you want some reasons why.

Hi LLong,

I sent you a PM.

I echo what others say about giving the whole situation a little more time...I bought a TB back in November who needed to fill out quite a bit. I put my saddle on him at the vetting, and my vet suggested that it wasn't a good fit...yet...but couldn' t really be evaluated until he filled out and muscled up. Her suggestion was finding a cheap used saddle that fit him at the time, knowing that he'd grow out of it and hopefully fit into my saddle. Went down to the local consignment tack shop, picked up a used stubben for $350 bucks, and rode him in that for about 6-7months until he filled out...and now we're back in my saddle and the stubben is back at the tack store being sold again on consignment...

look on ebay - you could pick up an old stubben or wintec for a good deal, then re-sell it when your guy grows out of it
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Ditto Tarheel: keep your Devoucoux, give your guy 6mo to a year in something inexpensive that fits and re-evaluate when he's had time to fill out. It's amazing how much OTTBs can change with a different way of going besides "fastasIcan"
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

Imagine that ... your Dev doesn't fit
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by nextyear View Post
    For about the same price you can get it refitted by GOOD saddle fitters I would not let the Devoucoux people touch it. I had my Devoucoux redone with a wider channel and it fits 80% of the horses I ride instead of 10 % that it used to. Get someone good to redo, don't trust Devoucoux if you deceide to keep it. PM me if you want some reasons why.
    Some good advice here.

Devoucoux are lovely saddles that fit riders far more often than they fit horses.

I had my panels redone twice but could never get around the fact that the gullet is too narrow for most equines. My vet -- who knew a lot about saddle fit but nothing of saddle brands -- looked at it and said 'I'd be surprised if this fits any horse.'

I sold mine and set about on a quest for the perfect saddle for my mare. Which was a Wintec. Seriously.

Be happy that Devoucouxs have high resale values. You can usually unload them quite easily.

I have an Albion Kontact that was a medium, but I had it narrowed slightly and it works for my narrow OTTB. They're high quality saddles and can be made to fit a narrow horse. Sent you a PM.

I haven't ridden in one yet, but Trilogy makes a jump saddle called a Talisman, and they have a wide range of tree sizes. I just bought a dressage saddle from them and like the quality.

I've never understood why they make foam paneled saddles. I like the look of the Devoucoux and am on a hunt for a new jump saddle that fits the horse AND makes me feel secure, but I won't bother to look at a foam paneled saddle. You can't adjust it to the horse and it squishes over time. I guess they work for people like Phillip Dutton who ride multiple horses? I'd much rather have a saddle that's fit to my horse and can be changed as he changes.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Some good advice here.

Devoucoux are lovely saddles that fit riders far more often than they fit horses.

I had my panels redone twice but could never get around the fact that the gullet is too narrow for most equines. My vet -- who knew a lot about saddle fit but nothing of saddle brands -- looked at it and said 'I'd be surprised if this fits any horse.'

I sold mine and set about on a quest for the perfect saddle for my mare. Which was a Wintec. Seriously.

Be happy that Devoucouxs have high resale values. You can usually unload them quite easily.

This is why I think I need to get rid of it..

The tree appears too wide and so it sits down on his withers even with a half pad. But at the same time it seems to fit all over too tight. Which is probably a result of it sitting down on his spine and being squashed down. BUT it seems so tight that even if I had a riser pad, or if he filled out, the whole channel would be too narrow.

He's a long legged and 17h. He definitely has some filling out to do. But yeah once he's filled out it'll probably still fit funky.

All the years in pony club, and saddling different horses and I still feel a bit in the dark. sigh

You love the saddle, it's worth having Devoucoux out to assess the potential fit - if he's 4 or under, you can expect his saddle profile to change alot over the next few years just due to growth & filling out, then there's also the effect of completely different muscling as he transitions to being a ridden rather than race horse.

Yes I went with wool flocked panels for my young horse BUT foam is NOT the devil of saddle fitting!

If this saddle will not ever fit him, you may getting a better price trading back in to Devoucoux on a saddle that will fit your new OTTB (you might ask about wool panels).

Albion makes quite a few models with cut back pommels for the high withered guys. Also if you order new, the saddle is MADE for you (they don't have piles of stock saddles sitting around), to your horse's measurements so if there is something "funny" the saddle fitter & maker will adjust for it. I always thought of them as "dressage" saddles till I rode in some of their jumping saddles.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

This is my anecdotal experience so take it for what its worth....

From what I've seen, the Devoucoux saddles "custom built" for horses don't fit them, so you're not in any worse shape than someone who just bought one specifically for the horse. They are weirdly A frame shaped, have a pretty narrow gullet, and the ones I've seen with "custom panels" don't seem to fit at all (one has even had the panels redone). Two people at my barn had reps come out and measure their horses and bought new custom saddles... and they fit about as well as if you blindfolded yourself at the tack shop, picked a saddle, and threw that one the horse. Neither fits perfectly, both require padding/shimming, and I don't understand why they're shaped the way they're shaped given that they were "custom." The one that was sent back for repanelling was shipped back in crappy shape, with glue all over the place, and dirty.

Generally I am in the camp that says "if you love it, keep it and see if you can get it adjusted to make it work," except that these saddles seem to be a poor fit for so many horses and I am less than impressed with how Devoucoux does in the fitting/adjusting department If you really feel like making a last-ditch effort to make the saddle work, call out a GOOD independent saddle fitter and see what he/she says about possible adjustments/shimming to make this saddle work.

Otherwise, I'd start looking for something new. Maybe an inexpensive "patch" saddle for now, while your horse is still growing, and then what you really like and want to ride in once he's filled out. That's what I did with my youngster. I bought him at 3 years old and my "extra" Jaguar wasn't the right shape for him. So I packed that away, bought a Bates, and used that until he turned 5. Was it the greatest saddle on earth? No. Was it picture perfect for him? No. Did it fit pretty well? Yes, and did the job. And then a couple of months ago I upgraded to a Black Country Quantum built to my/his specifications (also tried an Albion Jewel and liked that a lot but the BC edged it out). So far I am totally thrilled. It fits him like a glove, it's well made, and I feel really comfortable riding in it. I am much happier than if I had tried to make the Jaguar work, even in the face of the shape being wrong, and I think it was prudent to wait on the Black Country until the horse was more developed.

Good luck.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I just bought a KenTaur Naxxos close contact saddle for my shark fin TB and love it! I'm not sure where you can get them in the US. I had my horse measured by the fitters from this Canadian tack store http://equi-products.com/

And ordered the saddle through them. The saddle is super comfy for me, and my horse loves it - he's offering to stretch into the contact way more often now than he did in my old Crosby. It's not custom either, just ordered the correct tree width, seat size, and flap length.

I noticed a used KenTaur is on this American site, to give you an idea of what they look like.
    http://www.allthebestusedsaddles.com...ympic-105.aspx

NOT SHOCKING

I have been a dutiful user. My barn has bought over 38 saddles in the last ten years, My last saddle has been made 3 times and well the kindest thing I can say is that I HAVE BOUGHT MY LAST one. The first two REALLY were wrong with tiny stirrup bars and the last is the best of the three but I let my students ride in it as there is something off about the way the leathers hang.

Not sure but the rumor is the tree has changed or the company they used for trees fired their senior people in cost cutting measure. ALL I KNOW is that the leathers do not fall straight down anymore and split and pinch in canter work on the last three attempts to make my saddle. Reminds me of a lot of the Amerigo's that do that split and pinch crap. A 4800 saddle should not have the leathers split and pinch.

The company is on a down hill slide... So sad and looking for a new saddle company
    Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius