The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Parents and gratitude?

So here's the deal-
    To sum it up in a sentence, in case people do not want to read this entire post: I am a junior rider, I have really awesome parents, and I want to find a way to really express my gratitude to them.

My parents have been extremely supportive of my riding. I show in the big eq and the junior jumpers, and I'm hoping to be competitive at Medal and Maclay finals this year and Young Riders next year. That info is relevant just because it means that I've shown a lot, I've been gone a lot, and my parents have given up a LOT of weekends and free time to take me to shows and to the barn. Horses are expensive (as we all, unfortunately, know), and they have done their best to have me as well-mounted as possible. They made it possible for me to ride with a trainer who is 2.5 hours away. This is my last junior year, and they have given me the opportunity to ride and own some EXTREMELY nice horses for it. They can't always make it to shows because I have 2 other siblings and they have their own lives, but they never miss leaving me a phone call or voice message before a big class, even if they have to get up at 6AM to do it because the class starts at 7. Outside of the horse world, they have been excellent mentors, OUTSTANDING role models in terms of ethics, behavior, work ethic, and kindness/treatment of others, they have been shoulders to cry on during my hardest times and hands to high-five during my best ones. Some of my funniest memories and biggest laughs are with my parents. They are supportive and caring. When things are really difficult, my mom is nearly always the first one I call. When I need life advice about something that feels huge at the time, I usually ask my dad first. I see that some of my friends do not have positive relationships and are not close with their parents, and I am very glad that I am so close to mine. In short, my parents have been extremely supportive of me and I feel so, so, SO lucky to have them in my life. I want to find a way to express that.
    Of course I thank them regularly for what they do for me, and I celebrate birthdays, mother's day, and father's day with gifts and cards. I just want to express how grateful I am to them. It doesn't need to be a huge material gift, although I suppose it could be that- I more want a way to let them know my feelings.

So, on that note,
    Parents, what would you appreciate from your children? I'm certainly hoping to be creative on my own and I'm not looking for someone to tell me exactly what to do so that I do not have to think for myself- don't get me wrong. I would, however, love some suggestions as to how COTH people (whether you are a parent or not) like gratitude expressed to them.

Thank you COTH!
    Last edited by pinwheel; Aug. 15, 2011 at 03:38 AM.

Show them this.

YOU become a mentor for other kids, and do it in their name. Pay it forward. That is the best gift you can give. You do not realize how many people have no idea what you're talking about in the way of family. Go and teach the world--use your family as the example.

Quote Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
    So, on that note,
    Parents, what would you appreciate from your children? I'm certainly hoping to be creative on my own and I'm not looking for someone to tell me exactly what to do so that I do not have to think for myself- don't get me wrong. I would, however, love some suggestions as to how COTH people (whether you are a parent or not) like gratitude expressed to them.

Thank you COTH!
    By becoming a responsible, independent adult. Get a job, pay your bills and have a great life. Good luck! Sounds like you have a good start.

Write them a letter by hand and tell them what you just told us. It will mean more to them than anything else you could give them.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Oh, yes, "Pay it forward" and give credit to your parents (and others) as you do that. That's like an on-going and valuable tribute to them. I'm sure they'd be pleased.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I agree - show them this! Kudos to you for realizing that your parents are extrodinary, and kudos to them for raising you to be a thoughtful young person. So many are not these days. My sweet neice has lost all sense of perspective and is throwing her future away. She is a beautiful, smart former honors student who almost failed her junior year of high school and has gotten in trouble with the law now multiple times. So sad to see this girl who has everything get caught up in trasht drama with "friends" and materialistic obsessions...

Best of luck to you, and, if you can, maybe plan a formal dinner and present them each with a letter expressing your gratitude. If you cook, good chance to show that off!

Write them a letter now, be a fantastic human being and role model/mentor throughout your adulthood, and support them in their old age. (Not just financial support, but things like helping them around the house, going with them to doctor's appointments, making sure they live full and happy lives and don't get socially isolated.) I have a feeling you will do very well

Default A few years ago I recieved this from my younger daughter

Quote Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
    So, on that note,

Thank you COTH!
    Today is my first Mother's Day, and several people have asked me how I would like to celebrate it. Honestly the only thing I want today is to know that I'm not messing everything up, so I thought maybe in turn, I would tell you that I'm glad I have a mother like you. I've always had a hard time expressing sentimental emotions, especially to you and dad. I thought you should know, that I know, that you have influenced every aspect of my life. Everything that I am is because of you, and I am thankful for that.

It meant more to me than any gift
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Show them what you've written here
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Or if you want something more 'display-able', have a really nice professional portrait done of you and your horse (with or without ribbons / trophies, your choice). Type or write out your letter as suggested above, then have both the photo and the letter mounted and framed together. Present the final framed item on a significant date: their anniversary, your birthday, Christmas, whatever feels appropriate for your family.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Words from our children whether written or spoken are the most precious gifts we can ever receive. To be told I am appreciated and that my sacreifices are recognized makes every struggle worth it. I have one child who expresses it almost daily, now that she is a mother. My other child is less emotional and more reserved with her feelings. I'm hoping one day she will be able to say what I know she feels.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I think if you show them this they will burst out crying....I almost did. I think this is so wondeful and so wonderfully written. I know my daughter feels the same way as you do but to have her write it would mean the world to me. You sound like a great girl and your parents must be so proud of you. Thank you for caring so much about what your parents have done for you.

Thank you all for the sweet suggestions. I think perhaps I will write each of them a letter telling them how wonderful they are and how lucky I feel to have them. I will add in a nice family photo of all of us (maybe even including horses, if I can get it as well).
    Thanks for the nice words and for giving me the (very helpful) perspectives of adults and parents. I want them to feel appreciated for everything they do.Any other suggestions are still welcome too, of course.

I love the framed letter and picture idea. That's the sort of thing they can look at decades from now, or show someone when they're bragging on their awesome kid. I suspect that reading your note or something similar on video for them would also be something they'd treasure. You're going to grow up and get 'old', so media that captures the way you look and act 'now' along with your wonderful message is doubley precious.
    ---------------------------

Wow. This thread is a shining example of parents who have done a wonderful job of raising their kids.

OP, show them this thread. And to "pinwheel's" parents: congratulations. You've got a remarkable young lady for a daughter.

My parents like us to spend time with them. Now that we are in our 20s we don't see each other as often, and there is nothing they like more than one or all of us planning a family day or weekend together.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Thank you all. Very much appreciated. The video idea is a cool one too- perhaps I'll look into making a vid as well.
    Mara, thank you for your kind words.

Just wanted to follow up and let you guys know that I used your suggestions/ thank everyone again for your suggestions! My mom's birthday was a few days ago, so I presented everything to my parents then. I wound up taking your suggestions- I made a video with pictures of us through the years and recorded myself talking to them and I wrote them each a letter. I think (hope) they loved it- they told me they were very touched and my mom got a little teary-eyed.
    Thanks again COTH!

pinwheel, that's pretty much awesome.

I wrote my dad a letter like that -- we have a great relationship, so was entirely true! -- and it was a very moving thing for him.

You'll never regret thanking and speaking kind and loving words to special people in your life.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"