The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who to Measure for Vogel Boots in VA area?

I am starting to look for someone to measure me for Vogel custom boots. When I got my current pair decades ago there was one local lady who was known to be awesome at measuring (whom I used and was extremely happy with the fit) and several others that were apparently not as good (people would frequently have fit issues). Of course none of these tack shops are still in business. I see that Vogel now offers a home measure kit, etc., but, from my early experiences, I would prefer to find someone who has experience measuring people for Vogel boots with good success. Can anyone recommend such a person to measure in the VA/MD or surrounding areas?

Thanks for the suggestions

BTW - I do not fit any stock or semi-custom boot, hence the need to get custom. And I was thoroughly indoctrinated as a junior that Vogel was the only acceptable choice (and I have been extremely pleased with mine), so ordering any other kind is hard to consider.

The ONLY person you should get to measure your boots is Chuck Pinnell. He is far and away the best.

Thumbs up The Tack Box

The Tack Box has a very good reputation! Berk does the measuring there. Call 540.687.3231 to get an appointment.

If you can wait until Oct. to order your boots, you can get measured at the Vogel booth at the Washington International Horse Show. That is what I did and I even took them back to be remeasured to have them taken in after I lost a significant amount of weight.

Dover does Vogel customs. You could go to any of their stores in Virginia or Maryland to get measured.

Depending upon where you are, I second the votes for Chuck or Berk.

Thanks to everyone. It sounds like Berk or Chuck are my best local folks. This is invaluable intel. I really appreciate it.

Sounds like you have the starts of a good choice. FYI: several of my friends or acquaintances have been measured by Hank Vogel and ended up with major fitting issues. Maybe he was just having a bad day (days??) good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BestLegUp View Post
    I was thoroughly indoctrinated as a junior that Vogel was the only acceptable choice (and I have been extremely pleased with mine), so ordering any other kind is hard to consider.
    I am the same way!! I'm on my second pair of Vogels and I LOVE them! Never had an issue, they fit beautifully, and they even added zippers a few years after the fact when I got tired of pull-ons. LOVE Vogel
    Who is John Galt?

Another vote for Berk at the Tack Box.

Make sure you call before you go to ensure that Berk is there.
    Last edited by sarapony; Aug. 16, 2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Add more detail