The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gelato adventures: duck and olive oil

Thus far my favorite homemade gelato is Mario Battali's olive oil gelato; I found the recipe online.
    It's glorious with a bit of fleur de sel or pink Himalayan salt, and it keeps a nice gelato texture for weeks in the freezer (a lot of homemade gelatos will freeze up hard quite quickly).

Yesterday I went to the farmer's market and picked up some duck eggs, and so decided to make the olive oil gelato with the duck yolks instead of chicken.

I suspect the "ducks" may actually be some breed of GMO creatures, duck/Play-Doh hybrids specifically. The yolks are so weird. I was separating them in my hands, and they retained the imprint of my fingers before slooowly, over minutes, returning to a roundish shape. Is this normal? They were in the fridge overnight, and I have no experience with duck eggs at all.

In any case, the custard base is just so much richer* than when I make it with chicken eggs. I currently have a plain and a chocolate one in their ice baths, and I'll be adding Sweetwater Growers' rosemary-infused EVOO to both. Can't wait

* also had them scrambled yesterday. Just...idk, richer, more "like eggs should really taste". And I've had non-battery farmed chicken eggs before.

Sounds awesome! I can't remember about a fingerprint /texture like you were saying, but my biological mom had ducks in her garden in new Mexico. The eggs were awesome for cooking! They also make a great french toast :-)

That gelato really does sound heavenly. Let us know how it is!

Duck eggs have much bigger yolks than chicken eggs - which accounts at least in part for the richer flavor. But I haven't noticed any strange texture stuff with the yolks. I think they're easier to separate than chicken eggs (because of the larger yolks, maybe?), and usually separate them by hand - so I'd be likely to notice any weird textural difference.

(As our ten ducks are laying ten eggs a day, we have lots of duck eggs. Great in cooking. Too bad I don't like scrambled eggs, fried eggs, poached eggs, egg salad.... But for anyone considering chickens, I vote for ducks. Most entertaining, easy keepers, and definitely prolific egg layers.)

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Duck eggs have much bigger yolks than chicken eggs - which accounts at least in part for the richer flavor. But I haven't noticed any strange texture stuff with the yolks. I think they're easier to separate than chicken eggs (because of the larger yolks, maybe?), and usually separate them by hand - so I'd be likely to notice any weird textural difference.
    No, I separate by hand too, hence the finger-marks. It was just while the yolk was still unbroken, they seemed...well ok, like a silicone implant vs a saline implant (ie a chicken yolk). Much more dense, substantial.

Oooh wow, now that is an interesting idea. Do you use an icecream maker?

I found this olive oil gelato recipe, served with Balsamic Strawberries....

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...awberries.html
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

I use the Lello Gelato Jr machine, it's great.