The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equitation Attire?

I'm going to be showing in some A/A rated equitation classes soon and have a few questions about attire.

1. For classics, will you get docked points if you have a lining color other than black or dark blue in the shad? I understand I definitely need canary points but I'm not sure about underside of coat tails.
    2. Do you need a canary vest for under the shad? I've heard either vest or white show shirt.
    3. What's a good brand of stock tie? (No pre-tied, please!)
    4. For the girth, does it matter if you have leather with fleece or leather only? I own one with fleece and leather but could buy a leather one if needed.
    5. I have the CO AYR8 that's black with the silver stripe, is that okay?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I don't look out of place once I get there! Haha
    Thanks in advance!

Shadbelly/vest and points are not worn in equitation classes.
    friend of bar*ka

No shad, vest, or stock tie in equitation. Stick with a navy or maybe black hunt coat with a coordinating shirt that does not stand out too much. Beige/tan breeches, black gloves. Tall black field boots (obviously). Your helmet will be fine, as will your girth as long as the fleece in in good/white condition!!

In the Hunter Classics, if you choose to wear a shad, you would need either points or the vest, not worn with just a white shirt and no points or vest.

There is no place on the judge's card for clothing or tack deductions. Long as it's clean, fairly conservative and fits.

You might want to just go spectate before you splurge on an equitation wardrobe, might save an expensive mistake-like a shad for the Eq.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Black coat, white shirt (preferably without monogramming in my opinion), tan breeches, black/brown belt, black field boots, black gloves, black helmet. No shad.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Can I ask why field boots are required if the rest of the attire is FORMAL - black coat/stocktie etc? Wouldn't dress boots be OK too? Field boots are actually supposed to be brown and worn as part of informal attire (tweed jacket etc) but black field boots with hunter attire is clearly the norm.

Will you really be docked if you wear dress boots with a black coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Can I ask why field boots are required if the rest of the attire is FORMAL - black coat/stocktie etc? Wouldn't dress boots be OK too? Field boots are actually supposed to be brown and worn as part of informal attire (tweed jacket etc) but black field boots with hunter attire is clearly the norm.

Of course dress boots are OK. You might be the only one correctly dressed...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

No, dress boots are okay too. Field boots are just the "modern" preferred option. No stock tie or shadbelly in equitation classes, though! Just a regular show shirt with a matching ratcatcher an a plain hunt coat in black or navy.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Of course dress boots are OK. You might be the only one correctly dressed...
    What is proper, as quoted above (ie, field boots supposed to be brown, considered informal etc) is the expectation for riders doing field hunting.

Although many of the rules and expectations for show hunters are rooted in the traditions of field hunting, they are not the *same*... and the expectations for dress are different. There is a difference in what is considered proper in the show ring.

For equitation, the standard uniform at a rated show would be a navy jacket, white shirt, tan breeches and black field boots. No shads, as already noted.

Dress boots are not prohibited in the show ring, and would not be penalized. But they are not the norm, either.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Got it - I know finding brown field boots is actually tough these days so my comment was a leeetle tongue in cheek but I really did want to know if dress boots would be OK. Have both, but the dress are more comfortable.

I just looked closely at the lastest Chronicle with all the gorgeous photos of the Hunter Derby Finals candidates and you can't tell what style of boots any of the riders are wearing. They just look black.

In my experience, you would be hard pressed to find anyone wearing dress boots in the hunter/equitation ring...

This sounds bad, but doing anything "out of the norm" in the equitation ring is frowned upon. I would stick to field boots so nobody has any reason to criticize.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

I actually know one girl who used to ride at my barn who rides in dress boots..she has the nice tapered ankles, so they look very similar from far away.
    No running out. No refusals.
    The only options are over, under, or through

Quote Originally Posted by lucyeq View Post
    In my experience, you would be hard pressed to find anyone wearing dress boots in the hunter/equitation ring...

This sounds bad, but doing anything "out of the norm" in the equitation ring is frowned upon. I would stick to field boots so nobody has any reason to criticize.
    I distinctly remember Brianne Goutal polishing her dress boots on Road to the Maclay, filmed the same year she wont the Maclay . Dress boots are not typical, but absolutely allowed. The fashionistas will notice, the judge won't.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    The fashionistas will notice, the judge won't.
    That perfectly sums up so many threads here!

A lot of riders now wear dress boots (surprisingly) and also I really like the dark hunter green hunt coats. People may not agree, but Molly Braswell and Lillie Keenan both wear them in the equitation and they are very nice and are a little different then the traditional navy/black. Also wear a black belt. Brown belt with black boots is a big no no

I predict (although I did leave my crystal ball at home today) that in ten years, people will be saying this:

"In my experience, you would be hard pressed to find anyone wearing field boots in the hunter/equitation ring...

This sounds bad, but doing anything "out of the norm" in the equitation ring is frowned upon. I would stick to dress boots so nobody has any reason to criticize."
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by dp1092 View Post
    A lot of riders now wear dress boots (surprisingly)...
    Not a surprise, really. People wore field boots rather than dress boots so that they could have a trimmer, more tapered ankle and still fit their foot into the boot. With zippers now, ankles are skinnier than ever before! Laces on zippered boots really are just for show now. I could see zippered dress boots becoming pretty common quite quickly, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Ditto the above. People rarely wore dress boots because they could not get them on/needed a little more room over the arch.

Now that zippers have arrived? Whole different set of circumstances.

Whoever said they could not tell what kind of boots the riders had on in the COTH pictures? BINGO-neither can anybody else...and they don't care.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I am still wearing my dress boots! No one really seems to care or notice, to tell you the truth.

If you are wearing a shadbelly, be sure to have a vest, or points, that are long enough to cover the top of your breeches.

The big DON'T for me is seeing that swath of shirt and breeches, shown when a shad is combined with low(er) rise breeches. YUCK!

You may need a pair of regular rise breeches to wear with your shad.

Note, I think there may be a mixup with the OP...I have not heard of equitations classics, and the responses are correct, no shad in eq classes, no matter what they call them.