The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to fix X-mas lights?

Mmm hmm. On OT Day in August. You read right:

How do I diagnose and fix a strand of X-mas lights:

2 scenarios;

One bulb out, the rest around it are lit.

Many out on the "down stream" plug end?

It's like colic but electrical. And cheaper. And less important.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP -

To fix the lights correctly first you need to get out the ladder, string them up in pattern that results in the outline of Santa and sleigh. Adjust pattern until it is clear to bystanders that it is not an ameboa, revision of Dali's melting clock.

Spend hours looking for extension cords. Find them under winter horse blankets that need washing (again).

Plug in to discover that there is a short somewhere in house electrical system.

Try to find a different outlet that the extension cord reaches.

Go buy new extension cord.

Return to lights. Pull out all bulbs and rearrange into pattern of red, yellow, green, blue. Discover that pattern results in awkward blue next to red. Re-do.

Sorry couldn't help it! - If the lights are a bit older, check the insulation.

I know this the hard way. You can either:

Test the strand bulb by bulb (since many break the circuit by burning the filament out) (I have done this)

Buy a new strand. (I have done this, too!).

I love christmas lights. I hate christmas lights.

They should have come with spare bulbs and fuses. Whether or not you kept those and can find them is another matter For the single bulb out, replace the bulb. For the portion of a string, I'd try changing the fuse first - they are usually in a little sliding door or such on the side of the plug.

If those two things don't work, I usually just buy a new string. They are cheap enough that I'm not going to waste hours trying to fix them.

I think this wins Teh Intarwebz for the most random post this OT day. It's perfect!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

If one bulb is out, replace it. Make sure its the right voltage, though. There is a gotcha here. Some strings are sold as "superbright" or some such descriptor. They require a different bulb.

If part of a string is out, and it's supposed to flash, check the flasher bulb. It's usually clear with a red tip. It's the one that most often goes.

There are testers that you can run along the cord and it will show you which bulb is bad. The instructions tell how to operated them.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

In my stoner youth I kept a string of programmable chaser christmas lights around my living for four years. It's all about replacing the burnt out bulb and then if the string is out the fuses. I kept spares around and takes a minute just to slide the little compartment open and pop out the dead fuse and replace it. I have since grown up and no longer have hypnotizing lights around my living room ceiling but I sometimes miss them. They were festive all year round.

Thanks very much. This is what the Interwebz is for: Instant gratification of the most random requests. And! The info is neatly filed in an orderly fashion: Archived on the late-August 2011 COTH OT Day. And some very technical advice from a stoner. Makes sense to me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

lol

buy a new strand, donate the old one to the guy down the street who puts on that insane display every year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett