The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm curious what common illnesses they are protected against by a later spay/neuter. I've never heard that and my google efforts are turning up nothing other than the usual issues/illnesses that are avoided by a spay/neuter in general.

ETA: Just found a reference to studies done by Tufts and Purdue that say earlier neutering can increase chances of bone cancer. Huh. Learn something every day.
    Last edited by Long Spot; Dec. 1, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

There are several published studies that early nuetering and spaying is linked to urinary incontinence issues among other things. In males, many of the early nueters do not develop the proper male muscling etc. Also the breast health benefits of spaying are still in place if spaying is done after the first season but before the second and you avoid other issues. So this vet is not out of line with asking the OP to wait. If the dog is a pup at a shelter, I completely understand why they do neonatal spays and nueters. I have been breeding, showing, judging dogs for over 30 years, and I advise that my puppy buyers of male puppies to wait until one year of age to have them neutered. Of course, my puppy buyers are completely researched before purchase and are kept up with on a very regular basis.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Tradewind.

Since my youngest dog is 13, no wonder I hadn't heard anything.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

You are so welcome Longspot...the continuing changes in dog health reccomendations can be very hard to keep up with. For instance, years ago, it was reccomended that when an average sized dog it 7, you reduce the protein to take the burnden off the kidneys. Now, unless the dog has a proven issue with the kidneys that you do not do that, as low protein is linked to senility issues and loss of needed muscle mass. It is a challenge to keep up with all the information out there.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Um, dreamer, I was agreeing with you. Doesn't matter to me when you neuter your dog. Whatever your vet advises is ok with me. As long as no other dogs get preggo, which seems to be your intent, whatever you do is ok by me. I was not implying you were an idiot.
    Sorry pony4me...I guess I just misunderstood your statement! I guess I'm a little defensive! This whole situation is so ridiculous and I can't believe I have to even waste my time with this! She scares me, I am afraid she is going to do something to my animals and family. She has my address and keeps threatening me. She has threatened my parents and we don't need this kind of stress since my father has enough to worry about with his cancer. It is just so sad that a person has nothing better to do than harass someone like this when we followed all of her contractual obligations as far as the purchase of my puppy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by justadreamer View Post
    Sorry pony4me...I guess I just misunderstood your statement! I guess I'm a little defensive! This whole situation is so ridiculous and I can't believe I have to even waste my time with this! She scares me, I am afraid she is going to do something to my animals and family. She has my address and keeps threatening me. She has threatened my parents and we don't need this kind of stress since my father has enough to worry about with his cancer. It is just so sad that a person has nothing better to do than harass someone like this when we followed all of her contractual obligations as far as the purchase of my puppy.
    If you've followed your obligations (have you asked a lawyer to be sure?) and met the terms of the contract, then she has no case. Let her puff her chest all she wants.

If you are being threatened, report it.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    There are several published studies that early nuetering and spaying is linked to urinary incontinence issues among other things. In males, many of the early nueters do not develop the proper male muscling etc. Also the breast health benefits of spaying are still in place if spaying is done after the first season but before the second and you avoid other issues. So this vet is not out of line with asking the OP to wait. If the dog is a pup at a shelter, I completely understand why they do neonatal spays and nueters. I have been breeding, showing, judging dogs for over 30 years, and I advise that my puppy buyers of male puppies to wait until one year of age to have them neutered. Of course, my puppy buyers are completely researched before purchase and are kept up with on a very regular basis.
    Thank you tradewind for the great information. My vet also advised me to spay my female after one year and she had her first period for the same reasons. If I can protect my babies from having future illnesses I will do anything I can to protect them! If you can send me a private message with your contact info I would greatly appreciate it, since you are obviously a reputable breeder, I would love to ask you some other questions, if I need to during this situation! :-) Thanks again!

Any suggestions on how to deal with her?
    Ignore her. Delete her voicemails. Delete her emails. If she calls you, hang up on her. I seriously doubt she is going to pay a lawyer to harass you. I would not even go so far as to waste my time to talk to my own lawyer if I were you, it isn't worth the money or effort.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    If you've followed your obligations (have you asked a lawyer to be sure?) and met the terms of the contract, then she has no case. Let her puff her chest all she wants.

If you are being threatened, report it.
    I did consult my lawyer...she thinks what this lady is doing is ridiculous! I did meet all my contractual obligations and I am working on something that will shut her down for good! All proceeds I receive from this case will be donated to my local animal rescue center and hopefully I can save other people from this crazy lady! My research has proven that this woman does not care about any of her animals. Her entire business is based on trying to cone additional money out of innocent people. It is extremely disturbing how she treats her animals as merchandise and not lives depending on her to protect them and take care of them. So sad! As far as I am concerned I have rescued my puppy from her!

If anyone else has some helpful information I can use when dealing with this psycho I would really appreciate it!
    Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer! But if I were you, I'd document EVERYTHING she does -- emails, phone calls, text messages, letters, whatever. Contact the police every time she contacts you. Not only is she harassing you, you feel threatened by her. That's enough. Once you get the track record established, you stand a much better chance of defending yourself against her.

4 members found this post helpful.