The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gardens How is yours doing?

I am a person that has killed a cactus and an aloe plant so a green thumb I do not have. The first Garden I had was a flop. Fast forward about 12 years and I put in a small garden, planting radishes, carrots, onions, green beans, kahlarabi,
    four tomatoe plants and nine pepper plants.

My radishes did great and were awsome, so far I have picked 29 peppers and got about 10 bags, I picked carrots the other day and so far have done 7 bags.
    My pole greenbeans are not doing so good, but the bush greenbeans I planted are producing a few here and there but not nearly enough to do anything with.
    My tomato plants are huge. I counted 53 tomatos on just one plant.

I am hearing alot of people are having problems with onions, cabbage and tomatoes this year. My onions were to be huge onions. I ended up with the size of pearl onions. My tomatoes are not ripening yet either.

I started out with the ultimate redneck container garden but sadly, some 100+ days killed a lot of it no matter how much I watered.

My snow peas were planted too late and died. The peppers were slow growing and are just now coming up. My tomato plants gave me one tom each and then quit. Surprisingly, the lettuce went nuts and gave me lots of stuff even though I don't think of lettuce as a hot weather veg.

The quash bloomed and bloomed but never produced anything. My beans are still producing, as are my cucumbers. Watermelon is still going pretty well, too.

This fall I'll see how good my potatoes have done. If the greenery is a good indication, all is good.

Speaking of tomatoes, I hear if they stop producing that you can prune to jump start them - so they aren't using energy for more foliage instead of fruit. I probably should have tried that this summer but I didn't (and got nothing for my non effort). Gardenweb.com is a very nice resource.

I also have a meyer lemon, a bay laurel and some basil. I don't consider them "garden" since they are perennials.

Strawberries -- great (except chipmunk kept eating them @#$^@)
    Cucumbers -- too many
    cherry tomato plant -- good
    Tomato plant -- horn worms, not so good
    carrots -- Why the hell don't these things want to grow in my garden?!
    lettuce -- really good
    cabbage -- jurry is still out
    peas -- I need to find a variety that has a sweet shell
    string beans -- great
    beets -- they were yummy
    eggplants -- I'm about to have so many I won't know what to do with
    herbs -- they all bolted I guess I need to prune them now bees are loving them and one of the cats has discovered the catnip plant
    peppers -- eaten by something
    onions -- we shall see
    zuchini -- excellent
    edamame -- not sure yet, japanese beetles (ironically) are feasting on the leaves but the beans are not quite ready yet
    And this year I have some volunteer cherry tomato plants which I'm not too happy about as they seem to take over everything.

And I kill cacti and I just killed my lucky bamboo. But I seem to be able to keep a garden and I also have a planted fish thank that is doing good.

Rough year here for me between an VERY hot summer and my darling dogs I'm not getting nearly what I usually do out of my garden.

Some of my pepper plants are doing well, I think I'll stick to Giant Marconi, Corno di Toro and Big Bertha for sweet peppers as they others have never been worth the time for me. Couldn't find Iciban eggplants this year so growing Japanese long instead, I prefer Ichiban. Fairy Tale eggplant is producing well. Tomatoes are a disaster this year. I have 24 plants. They are ripening SO slowly this year (everyone in my area is complaing about this) and then my dogs have all discovered eating the tomatoes right off the plants. I'm going to have to fence in my garden next year, for this year I just want to cry every time I see a dog eating a tomato. At least my dogs enjoy them...

I did not inherit my grandfathers ability to grow veggies. He had a 4 acre garden on his farm in Pennsylvania. I have tried in the ground and in containers. I think in Florida, it takes a special ability. However, I did inherit his green thumb for plants. I have a beautiful rose garden and I have a butterfly garden.

I've always had a major weed problem and this your I tried something new....corn gluten which is supposed to keep seeds from sprouting.

Maybe I didn't use enough but the weeds are taking over. This winter I am going to try solar sterilization
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My tomatoes are finally ripening, after the heat wave. I planted Burpee's 4th of July tomatoes, along with a bunch of heirlooms. So far, I've only had ripe 4th of July tomatoes. But, we're having a cool spell, so finally, it looks like a bumper crop. We have plenty of yellow squash, the cucumbers are horribly bitter because of the heat. I'm going to have to rip them out and plant something else. I went to all raised beds this year, and it's so much easier.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I've always had a major weed problem and this your I tried something new....corn gluten which is supposed to keep seeds from sprouting.

Maybe I didn't use enough but the weeds are taking over. This winter I am going to try solar sterilization
    I have been told that when you mow your grass you take the *fresh* clippings and spread them over the garden like mulch. It's supposed to act a little like bark mulch to prevent weeds and also as fertilizer as it decays. I don't have first hand experience with it. You could also just try bark mulch.

What we did was hubby dug down with the skidloader bucket and peeled off the sod. He then put that in a few bare spots in the yard. I then sprinkled stuff called Preen on the soil and he rotortilled it. I hit it with a bit of preen again he rotortilled again then I planted it.

We had a bad dry spell and over 20 days of 90 degree heat so I watered everynight. The asian beetles are trying to take over my pole beans so I have been hitting thoose with 360 and they are starting to come back.

I just went out and piled a bunch of apples up off the ground that are nice and red gonna make apple crisp out of them.

I've got a Sweet 100 cherry tomato plant that has taken over my kitchen garden. Under it are two other tomato plants, 4 pepper plants and a couple heads of cabbage. It's so dreadful mr. subk has declared that the kitchen garden is going to be limited to flowers and herbs next year. He's already make plans for yet another garden bed next year for veggies that I'm sure will be my responsibility to water and weed...

Sugar snap peas did great until a vole ate the bottoms off. Stupid thing also ate some of my lettuce. Thinking of digging up the raised beds and installing wire mesh to keep them from digging into the beds. Those voles are maddening!!!!

Tomatoes just started ripening but the plants are starting to get some kind of mildew so I need to spray if it ever stops raining.

Sunflowers just started blooming so I'm excited to see how big they get!

Tons of cucumbers that are getting squash borers I think. Not too worried as I've already eaten plenty of cukes so I could be done.

Peppers are slow growing this year. I'm sad I chose some of the wrong plants and ended up with hot peppers instead of sweet. Live and learn...

Carrots are doing great and I'm hoping the vole stays away from them. Not likely though.

Basil, oregano, parsley and chives are all going like gangbusters.

Weeds are a non-issue since I started using the biodegradable paper. That stuff is fantastic! You put it down when you plant seeds/plants and cut holes for your plants. It blocks the weeds and disintegrates through the summer. I feel so dumb for not using the stuff sooner!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

In a word: Pitiful

I planted mostly in containers - tomatoes, basil, squash, potatoes - to chicken-proof.

Shiaway: don't feel bad.
    I cannot grow a carrot to save my life. They come up stunted and twisty and baby-sized if they come at all.
    And they are planted in very loose compost/soil mix.

Strawberries & Chioggia beets went under chickenwire barriers along with the asparagus I planted 3 years ago (got 3 slim stalks this year!).
    Strawberries are fruiting pretty well, but since it's their first year I am picking fruit as quick as it appears to let them establish runners for next year.
    Chickens keep sitting on the beets so I'm not expecting much to survive, but the tops still look promising.

So far the tomatoes are setting very little fruit, the squash are blossoming like there's no tomorrow, but no fruit and the potatoes have yet to blossom.

I do have a huge volunteer squash from last year that just started blossoming.
    I am hoping it's either a butternut or carnival, but my luck it will be the 3rd type I planted last year & didn't really like: delicata.

The raspberry bushes I transplanted from the fenced in henyard 2 years ago are setting fruit & if I can beat the chickens to them I'll have probably a quart of berries.

Pear trees produced their usual bountiful crop, but this year a flock of birds has discovered them and has been feasting on the ripening fruit.
    With the chickens eating the windfalls I have to work hard to get pears for myself.
    Apple trees are loaded but far from ready - maybe in a month?
    Peaches are about the size of tennis balls and rockhard so they have a while to go too.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

I am usually a till and plant in the ground farmer type gal, more stuff than we can eat. Compost of the purest horse poo, and lime to even it all out. Oh also lots and LOTS of leaves.

sigh.

I have had almost complete and total crop failure. I had bird problems BAD, and soil issues. New strategy for next year. Back to my usual gardening.

I planted 2 grape and 2 parks whoppers in 4 different containers with good soil. The grapes have done ok, the other two not so good. I am a first-time container grower of tomatoes. I had mocking bird issues (more on that in a moment). They would peck and mess with the fruit, ruined lots and lots. I moved them all, and the birds followed, 2 times. Put one grape in the ground. Who knew container gardening was sucha PITA. Then I put them all back by the blue berry bushes and put nets over them. I have 8 blue berry bushes. Now the 2 parks are on the back porch, one grape is on the driveway at the garage. All look pitiful. Then I had about 5-6 other tomatoes in the ground near the blue berry bushes and they did "ok", then horrible. I have pulled all of those out of the ground and only a roma is left in the ground.

I did a concrete cinder block garden, with bagged "top soil" garden. Pretty much I figured out the bagged top soil had some sort of chemical in it and everything would only grow 6" and do nothing else. I pulled everything and currently have 3 little cosmos I transplanted from elsewhere, and they are 6" tall. When it cools we will remove all dirt and fill holes in the pasture with it.

Ok, the blue berry tale. I am very good at growing blueberries. We netted the blueberry bushes very well, some had double nets on them. The mocking birds this year kept getting under the nets, and we will just say my most shy dog I have ever owned, killed 38 mocking birds, 3 cardinals (2 females, 1 male), and one thrasher which the latter ones I tried to save. I have no problem now picking a dead bird up. Mr Fox loved the birds. Then mr brown squirrel came. He got in the net and the dogs went wild. One dog the shy one got bit on the front of her cannon like on the tendon, she cease and desisted, and she had to go to the vet and $160 later she is doing fine. I shoulda shot that squirrel, before going to the vet, he/she still lives, but may have suffered a BAD bite from the dog, maybe it is dead now??, and I would have shot that squirrel if it had been there where I got home. The next morning I removed all the nets, picked every blueberry and pulled of any green ones and tossed over the fence (which were small and were not going to amount to anything but bird fights, and the poo they leave). Before we put the nets on one gate was covered with bird poo. Big year for mocking birds for some reason.

We usually pick every few days about 6# or more for about 45 days. I give away alot, and have others come pick. July to august is our harvest. We get **lot** of berries. Pear season is coming here in less than a month. If we let the birds eat their fill, then we would have bird poo on all the bushes. Also, the last picking about 50% had bird peck marks on the fruit, which those berries had to be tossed. Not as many berries as usual due to BAD mocking birds. The dogs can get under and out of the nets easy. They just know where to go in. Birds go in and they wanna fly up and out and can't remember how to go under the way they came in.

My one pepper plant is doing well and producing very well. Banana pepper

I currently have 2 11# toy manchester terriers. 98% was all done by the shy dog, other dog was helping. Neither have squirrel experience. One has rabbit experience, and some bird. Shy dog has bird experience, and can recognize a mocking bird cursing at me or her. OBTW, one was flying in the yard away from the scene, and she ran and caught it in mid flight from behind. WOW. In under a minute, 2 killed in the nets, and then she ran out and got the one in mid flight. I have had Manchesters since the early 90's. I had one female who would have taken the GIANT brown squirrel out in no time. She had: rats of all sizes, BIG rabbit, and baby rabbit experience.

2dogsFarm,

Yeah ours come up and the tops look great. You think, oh what nice carrots! Pull them up and there's some little organ stub thing and that's it. At least the horses like them.

Default Slllowwww

I keep trying because I ALWAYS grow a veggie patch, but at 5k feet, short growing season (even shorter this year with cool wet June) so don't usually get huge yields.

Have had one green pepper, two jalapenos, zero cukes or tomatoes though many greenies on the vine (okay, the deer may have slowed down a plant or two), planted brussels sprouts just for grins and they may get there in Sept. I stuck an okra plant in for grins and it does have one little okra growing so far. Tomatillos seem to be getting there too.

On the other hand, I have a huge crop of jerusalem artichokes on tap for the fall/ winter because I didn't get them all harvested last year. Also a few potatoes because, well, I missed some when digging last year. And my little volunteer peach tree has a few peaches on it, they should be ready in a week or two, trick will be getting to them before the deer do.

Some years I do get tomatoes til close to Thanksgiving, the particular spot is a bit protected from hard freezes. But if freezes are forecast, well, more green tomatoes to fry up or make salsa verde.

I have a question about planting lettuce: Is it possible to do this in the fall since it is more of a spring veggie? There is an old recycling bin lying around in my garage since new larger ones have been issued by the city, and I really want to make it a lettuce container. Any thoughts? (not the hijack the thread or anything!)
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Pshaw. Not a great year. I have a lot of tomatoes on the vine, but they are really slow to ripen because it's been such a COLD summer here. I got not a single fruit off of me peach and apricot tree that gave me tons last summer, and only a few of some of the most wonderful nectarines in the world. My Fuji apple tree is going gangbusters, only because I don't like them. I planted yet another Meyer lemon tree and it's still alive. It hasn't grown in a year, but it has one tiny little fruit on it, so maybe it will live. I got a new lime tree and planted it, but we'll see.

I'm dying to get enough tomatoes to make salsa! It would be even better if I had my own limes! (That's the secret to good salsa--fresh grown tomatoes, white onions, limes, cilantro, and a bit of salt. Yum. Learned that in Mexico. Lemons don't work.)

Well, my "mini" (ie 3lbs-ish) Hubbard squash won second place in Best Winter Squash, any variety at the county fair...the squash (the Hubbard hybrid and the Tetsukabuto) are very happy this year. The corn is getting close as I planted late. The peppers and tomatoes recovered nicely from the groundhog assault but the potatoes were next on the four-lined beetle list after they ate up the decoy/feral mint. Stupid bugs. Saltwort and bunching red onions did well in containers.

Next year, soybeans. (This year's did NOT recover from the groundhog assault.)

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    I have a question about planting lettuce: Is it possible to do this in the fall since it is more of a spring veggie? There is an old recycling bin lying around in my garage since new larger ones have been issued by the city, and I really want to make it a lettuce container. Any thoughts? (not the hijack the thread or anything!)
    Yup. Lettuce just doesn't like hot weather, so it does best in spring and fall. I've picked lettuce up through frost. I've had good luck starting fall lettuce in a shady location when daytime temps are pretty much staying below 90F. Tents made of burlap work well for temporary shade if you can't move the container.
    ---------------------------

I just replanted some bush green beans. Figure the cost a dollar so if they don't come up or produce I am not loosing much. They are 60 day beans so I should be ok.