The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crime in your area - vent and question

Do you think that crime in your area is on the rise? For example I don't remember constantly hearing about murders on an almost daily basis in the city where I grew up a few years ago. Now it seems like every time I turn on the TV there is another murder. The mayor had the nerve to say that murders really aren't on the rise because murders committed by people the victim knows should not count as true homicides. Apparently you are not as dead if you know your murderer.

Robberies seem to be occuring more often too. We live in a rural area now and there have been a few break ins locally. It seems like almost everyone I know has had or has had a family member that has either had their house or their care broken into.

The point of this rant is to ask what do you think our community leaders can realistically do about it. Police/Deputies cannot be everywhere and prevent all crimes. How far have you gone to protect you, your house or your vehicle?

Bopper

When the economy takes a giant crap, crime will go up. Unemployment isn't getting any better, and the U-6 number is something like 18%. That's almost 1 in 5 people unemployed.

Best thing you can do is secure your house and/or vehicle. Personally, I own several firearms and am prepared to defend myself and my family if the need should arise. I advise everyone else to do the same. The crime rate will continue to rise as the economic situation gets worse.

What have I done: keep a low profile. Don't buy fancy cars, wear fancy clothes or swing around a fancy purse when out and about. We have a security system at home. I also do not drive around urban areas where drug dealers and gangs run the streets. If we could shut off the drugs and clean up the addicts, a lot of this would grind to a halt. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    What have I done: keep a low profile. Don't buy fancy cars, wear fancy clothes or swing around a fancy purse when out and about. We have a security system at home. I also do not drive around urban areas where drug dealers and gangs run the streets. If we could shut off the drugs and clean up the addicts, a lot of this would grind to a halt. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.
    Complete legalization would accomplish it easily. Unfortunately, most Americans are not able or willing to take responsibility for their own choices (not directed at anyone in particular), and won't allow that.

Low levels of violent crime is one of the major reasons that hubby and I live where we do. We considered moving the last time our lease came up to be closer to my job (but farther from his). We decided not to because (in addition to being more expensive) the most logical place we would move to had a MUCH higher crime rate. Not something we want to worry about. I love feeling confident in our safe town. Taking reasonable precautions and owning a large loud dog also help.

You HEAR more about crime now. But as far as long-term statistics there's less in the US now. There's just more news. Constantly.

I perceive there to be less, myself, but I grew up near Detroit in the 1980s (downriver, not the rich side with Oakland/Macomb). Rather like my definition of "bad neighborhood" (what Boston considered bad just looked a tad downmarket to me) my standards for "crime-ridden" are pretty well blown for good.

Crime's down in my area. Meh.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I think that neigobrhood watch groups really help keep crime down. Also nosey neighbors. If you live in a mixed neighborhood,, where there are some retirees and stay-at-home moms or dads, they can help keep an eye on the neighborhood. That grumpy old neighbor who complains about loud parties and cars parked on the street can be your best bet for stopping crime.

In Atlanta, it was neighborhood teenage boys who did most of the burglarizing of homes. They knew who had dogs and who worked law enforcement and left those people alone. We did have some double murderers who lived nearby, but they went down to the south county to commit their murders.

I don't think there is that much more crime now. With the news media and the internet, we just find out about more crime. The hot weather, the economy, etc., all factor in also. The advent of crack in the cities and crank in the countryside made people lose whatever common sense they did have, and now those people are committing senseless murders. I really do believe that smoking coke or meth does do permanent brain damage, for the senseless murders I've seen those idiots commit.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Crime is definitely on the rise in the part of Northern VA where I live because there is a lot of housing that has been designated as "low-income" that has more or less become immigrant neighborhoods with a lot of gangs. There's been increases in both property and violent crime along with homicides.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The twenty four hour news cycle has a lot to do with it. The rate has been trending downward, at least through '09:
    http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

You can find your local crime rate here:
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Not much crime around here. Some garage break-ins, copper theft. That's about it. Now, back in Baltimore...it was bad. We lived in the burbs, and crime was coming our way. You didn't drive without your car doors locked, kept the doors locked all the time. Not the way I wanted to live.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I really don't put much stock in the crime rate statistics because the numbers can be manipulated. I base my information on talking to people. How many have had their houses or cars broken into within the last year? Community leaders want to make it appear crime is either stagnant or going down so they can manipulate the numbers to a degree. The comment from a local mayor that I referenced is typical. Murders don't count as true homocides if the victim knew the killer. Based on this the number of homocides has stayed the same while the number of actual killings has increased.

I realize the economy has something to do with it but I also think the value system of our world has changed and more people find nothing wrong with taking what they want.

Just my opinion.

There's been a lot of gang violence in my city this summer. Gang members shooting other gang members. There is the odd robbery in my neighborhood every now and again. My neighbor had his computer stolen out of his car. But of course he left his car unlocked. I have been leaving the back door open for the dogs this summer. I have large barky dogs as my security force. Really, I walk my dogs in my neighborhood, which is nothing fancy, any time day or night.

I just asked my SO if he thought crime was up and he replied, only weird stuff like the mother who killed her daughter. I wonder how big of an influence the media has over our perception of crime. Fear sells news.

Yes, a LOT of it is the media coverage crime gets. It blows crime out of proportion. For every stolen car, there are a million people or more in that city who didn't have their car stolen-but the news reports the one theft and plays it up so much that the other million people think theft of their cars is imminent as well. Ask them why, and they'll say, "Car theft is on the news all the time, there's a huge rash of it in this city!" when in reality, the numbers have not changed in years. It's like plane crashes: you hear about those, but not the thousands of flights that take off and land safely daily.

I do think values have changed and people are less scrupulous than years ago. I agree that the economy plays a role in some cases. Also overlooked is the ever-expanding population. Look at wild animals that live in groups. If that group gets to large to sustain itself in its established territory it will stop breeding and even drive out or kill members of the group until it can sustain itself. Humans aren't going to stop breeding, because it's too lucrative, but I do wonder if the effects of overpopulation and competition trigger a deeper instinct in some people's subconscious.

I do put more store in actual stats than word of mouth-you can get any results by an informal poll such as this simply depending on the population you are talking to. It's unscientific and very lopsided. And it's influenced by the media as well-would they have heard about the copper theft 2 miles down the road if it hadn't been all over the news if they didn't know the victim or the victim's friends? Probably not. But now you get 500 people who saw it on the news and now say, "Oh yeah, my neighbor got robbed last week!"

The district where I taught does an annual survey of students, parents, and staff. One area that students scored our school low on was "Students feel safe in our school." This was in a school with the lowest number of incidents like fighting, etc. in the district. So we asked our students in homeroom why they felt this way. Their response, by and large was "We see school violence in the news all the time, and it's scary." Of course it is, and it's something our schools constantly prepare staff and students for, but in reality, our school is one of the safest in the area. The media, not the facts, was what made the students fearful.

I DO think there is a difference in random crimes vs. crimes committed by people who know the victim, NOT in the outcome for the victim (dead is dead, raped is raped) but in the fact that random crimes are a threat to a community as a whole, where domestic or other crimes where the victim knew the perpetrator are usually not a threat to the rest of the population. For example, everybody in a certain population is a potential victim for a serial killed, but in general, if a husband kills his wife in a crime of passion, the rest of the female population is not at risk. All the victims are just as dead, but there is a difference in the danger to the general public.

Murders are definitely up around here lately, but it seems to be mostly the criminals taking care of other criminals.

I agree with Frank B, in that the crime isn't up, but the 24/7 repetition of crime reports is. And years ago the crime was between acquaintances, and many people could rationalize that away (and acquaintances may not be a real relationship, but simply have met before in some way).

And many burglaries during the weekday are high school age students, or in neighborhoods with unlimited off campus suspension. Where I used to live the junior high became a high school until the new school was built, and crime in the surrounding neighborhood shot through the roof. And typically when a high school moves in the crime rate immediately goes up three times. And one group of burglars can really impact an area, and dramatically make crime increase until they are caught. Unfortunately, with the California judge's ruling on releasing 40,000 nonviolent criminals I think things there might get worse suddenly, and many areas do this when the jails get overcrowded.

It's not the world we wanted to live in, and it's not what we expected, but it's what we have to adapt to.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Crime is not up in my area.

However my neighbor had their copper gutter downspouts stolen, which I take to be a reflection of the times (poor economy, that is).

A local church had their a/c unit stolen a month or so ago. They replaced it, and it was stolen again the next day. I can't believe the copper people buy two huge industrial units from the same people a week apart and don't get suspicious. I bet they catch them, and the local judges will throw the book at them.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

"When the economy takes a giant crap, crime will go up. Unemployment isn't getting any better, and the U-6 number is something like 18%. That's almost 1 in 5 people unemployed.

Best thing you can do is secure your house and/or vehicle. Personally, I own several firearms and am prepared to defend myself and my family if the need should arise. I advise everyone else to do the same. The crime rate will continue to rise as the economic situation gets worse."

According to the statistics crime is down. I don't think anyone really knows why, but the correlation of crime going up in a bad economy is not happening thus far.

That's right. Arm yourself to the teeth. So, if you're my father, you can almost (gun was pointing at her)shoot my mother when she got up to get a drink in the night. We took his gun away.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/