The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ground Hogs and Ground Hog holes

Did a search and couldn't find anything about ground hogs...how do you get rid of these guys and their holes?
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Maybe try a search for "woodchucks" which is what they are called here. There have been a number of threads, and I usually post on them, because the only thing that worked for me was to put used kitty litter down the holes. Wait a few days for them to leave, and then fill the holes. Done.

Before I tried the kitty litter I tried the poison smoke bombs made to get rid of them, that did nothing. Then I had a neighbor w/a gun shoot some of them. That did nothing. Finally I tried putting the kitty litter down the holes. I learned about it on a farming board I read. It is the only thing that worked!

I also like it b/c it is humane. They do move somewhere else, but in my case I have room for them, just not in my horse pastures. I've done this several times as each time I fence an area for the horses there are pre-existing woodchuck dens in the fields. Each time it has worked.

We shoot them on sight (as long as there is someone to do it other than me). Plus we mow our pastures short often and check for holes.

REally? I did that as a joke - poured used kitty litter down a hole. don't know if they are still there or not.
    LOL
    how funny!

why does it work?

and does it have to be used or clean litter?

Default Flame thrower, revolver, champagne

Works like a charm. Really.

Instructions for redneck groundhog extermination.

1. Have crummy day at work.
    2. Realize since you haven't come off hunting lately, you have an unopened bottle of nice champagne in the fridge.
    3. Sit on porch sipping cooling adult fizz, spot big ol groundhog.
    4. Totter into house to get revolver.
    5. Stagger downhill, revolver in one hand, bottle in another.
    6. Get close and fire.
    7. Cuss, and repeat until you're out of bullets.
    8. Come up with master plan.
    9. Convince husband to put big rock over exit hole.
    10. Hint to hubby that he gets to use his flame thrower and you'll be very grateful.
    11. Sit on golfcart with reloaded revolver in right hand, nearly empty champagne bottle in right hand and giggle, while husband ignites flamethrower and inserts it into the bugger's entrance hole.

12. Realize that the little vignette the two of you create is clearly visible to all, since you're about 50 feet from a major interstate, you with a gun and now empty bottle, and your husband, bare-chested, cigarette dangling from his mouth, with an "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" gleam in his eye as he frickazee's Mr. Groundhog. Realize that you've taken a total city slicker and turned him into possibly, the most impressive redneck in the county in less than a year.

We never even saw one on the property after that, and we have 40 acres.

I think that having a sacrifcial (sp) fire must have done it .

Quote Originally Posted by HannahsMom7 View Post
    REally? I did that as a joke - poured used kitty litter down a hole. don't know if they are still there or not.
    LOL
    how funny!

why does it work?

and does it have to be used or clean litter?
    It should be used litter, and I was told the reason it works is that they are actually very fastidious and are repelled (and who wouldn't be) by the cat waste in their living quarters.

Dirty kitty litter applied a couple of times a few days a part makes them pack up and leave!

Get someone with a backhoe to dig out the holes and then fill them in--that's what I did. Pays to have a neighbor with one!

Ditto the used cat litter. Or a 22.

Walther P99. Sniper rifles work too.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Works like a charm. Really.

Instructions for redneck groundhog extermination.

1. Have crummy day at work.
    2. Realize since you haven't come off hunting lately, you have an unopened bottle of nice champagne in the fridge.
    3. Sit on porch sipping cooling adult fizz, spot big ol groundhog.
    4. Totter into house to get revolver.
    5. Stagger downhill, revolver in one hand, bottle in another.
    6. Get close and fire.
    7. Cuss, and repeat until you're out of bullets.
    8. Come up with master plan.
    9. Convince husband to put big rock over exit hole.
    10. Hint to hubby that he gets to use his flame thrower and you'll be very grateful.
    11. Sit on golfcart with reloaded revolver in right hand, nearly empty champagne bottle in right hand and giggle, while husband ignites flamethrower and inserts it into the bugger's entrance hole.

12. Realize that the little vignette the two of you create is clearly visible to all, since you're about 50 feet from a major interstate, you with a gun and now empty bottle, and your husband, bare-chested, cigarette dangling from his mouth, with an "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" gleam in his eye as he frickazee's Mr. Groundhog. Realize that you've taken a total city slicker and turned him into possibly, the most impressive redneck in the county in less than a year.

We never even saw one on the property after that, and we have 40 acres.

I think that having a sacrifcial (sp) fire must have done it .
    HAAAAAAA!

I wait until I see the groundhogs actually go into the hole, light two of the gas bombs and cover it with a rock and dirt as directions indicate. Works great. As someone on another thread stated, he's already nicely buried!

When I tried the gas bombs without having seen the animal go into the hole I found the holes dug up pretty soon so I think they were not at home when I bombed them and it was a waste of time...

Agree with used kitty litter. It works the best.

In a pinch, I have also used urine soaked bedding and been successful with that approach also.

Keeping the pastures mowed also helps because the groundhogs seem to like the natural cover of tall weeds or grass around their burrow.

Using this method, I've convinced them to move their burrows to the other side of the fencelines instead of my pastures.

Unfortunately, they have also discovered that burrowing under sheds is a great hiding place so now I'm battling a family that burrows from under my hayshed into my garden!!

Yet somehow I can't convince myself to kill them.....

Our dog (70-lb. lab mix), who lives peacefully with two cats and a younger/smaller dog who torments her mercilessly, will kill any groundhog she sees-- she grabs them behind the neck and violently shakes them gator-style until they die. I've seen her take two out so far; I have no idea why the dog has such a passionate hatred of groundhogs, but I'm not complaining.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

We have them in our hay field. The neighbor has trapped them in the past. I will have to try the kitty litter. Our 2 dogs also do a wonderful job, although it is kind of brutal.

My DH tells me that he read a discussion of the kitty litter
    trick. Says it works because rodents have an instinctive
    aversion to carnivore urine. They flee the odor even
    as very young animals without any experience previously
    of it. So the kitty litter needs to be used and dog urine
    will do as well as cat.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I have had very good success with putting dog poop in the holes. Sounds crazy but unlike chicken, nobody likes dog poop.

Cat poop may work in a pinch. Dirty cat litter. I only have experience with dog poop. I have zero cats.

I was very angry and collected dog poop and tossed it down. Now that they are GONE, I use horse poop.

I am sure if you needed extra dog or cat poop it could be obtainable fairly easy. You may be giggle at, but hey, it will be free for the taking. Could go to a shelter and collect some up.

Shoot them as well as trap them (then shoot them). There isn't anything my husband enjoys more to tell you the truth (he calls them Pasture Devils). We also have a dog that kills at least a dozen a year. This years she's killed 17 alone. Our neighbors want to hire her.

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Our dog (70-lb. lab mix), who lives peacefully with two cats and a younger/smaller dog who torments her mercilessly, will kill any groundhog she sees-- she grabs them behind the neck and violently shakes them gator-style until they die. I've seen her take two out so far; I have no idea why the dog has such a passionate hatred of groundhogs, but I'm not complaining.
    Ours is a lab mix too (lab husky) and is literally famous to our neighbors. Our lab/chow was quite the killer in her day too - not so much at 14 though.

Soak a tennis ball in kerosene.
    Place tennis ball on a shovel and light it.
    Dump the happily burning ball down the hole.
    Dead ground hogs (it makes a poison gas).

There is a neat propane fueled killer that blows up underground killing the "whistle pigs".

Shooting is fun though.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

well... for those who are more inclined to live and let live and rather like groundhogs as long as horses aren't falling in their holes, and have noticed that if you fill 1 set of hoes they are happy to dig another set you then have to find.....
    1)keeping grass short encourages them to make their holes in the brushy undergrowth where horses are unlikely to gallop. Also keeps weeds down nicely
    2)mark existing holes they keep in the meadow with plastic/fibreglass temporary fence stakes next to them--easy to pull up and replace for mowing and fertilizing. I tried rubber cones but there is always an equine clown who likes to carry them around

My barn had two dogs which were great at groundhog hunting. Unfortunately, one of the hunters died this year, and the other one has slowed down quite a bit due to age. Hopefully one of the younger dogs catches on.

One of my friends tried to get rid of groundhogs by having her husband pee into the holes. It didn't work. I'm not sure if hubby was sneaking into the john when he was supposed to be peeing into the holes or if he simply didn't smell fearsome enough. Knowing him, either scenario is possible.

The trouble with simply marking the holes with cones or something is that the tunnels are also dangerous, and you can't see them. Several times I've had my horse step onto apparently solid ground, only to have a tunnel collapse under a hoof. Fortunately each of these accidents occurred at a walk, so the horse was able to extricate the hoof and continue on with no harm done. The story might have been different at a faster gait.