The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Politically speaking, meet me in the middle of the road?

I'm so tired of extremism, and partisanship, and shrill but empty rhetoric. I'm so tired of the idea that the loudest voices prevail. I simply do not understand why our politicians have to paint each other as evil or stupid or un-American.

What do we have to do to bring them back to civility? What can we do to make them have a REAL conversation out in the open?

All of the options this country has to move forward with have consequences and potential up and down sides to them. There are perfectly good (meaning that they have worked in the past) economic theories that support both government cutbacks and government spending and the same is true with raising and not raising taxes.

It would be really nice to how much taxes might go up or what government services might go away if the various factions get their way.

How in the hell are people supposed to support ANY of these elected officials if they won't tell us what the heck is going on.

I am going to start throwing electronic rotten tomatoes and eggs at these guys every time they say negative crap about their opposition with no comprehensive and no cohesive reasoning behind it.

I am sick to DEATH of sound bites and annoyed as hell with our so-called political process. Hey Washington, grow up and grow a pair!

Anyone else care to vent?

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Agreed, all of the fighting has gotten ridiculous, then they come on tv and whine that it is all the other guys fault. (both parties)

I have come to realize that the thing that made some of our great leaders great was not their ideas, ideals, politics etc. It was simply being able to LEAD people to the table and have constructive discussions.

Washington is starting to feel a lot like Jr. High

Bravo! Let's all start venting AT them and make them DO something they're supposed to.

The country has been taken over by thugs. I think the anonymity of the Internet has been very harmful.

It's like the bullies are taking over the playground.

Agree with all of the above. What happened to compromise? Deciding what is best for the majority without bringing your "personal agenda" into it?

It seems as though the parties are becoming increasingly polarized, and are just fighting with each other for the sake of fighting (and bashing everyone who disagrees with them over the head with THEIR opinion--everyone has to be RIGHT, which of course means the other side has to be WRONG.)

I consider myself a moderate (an Independent, though they don't recognize that in good old VA), and try to see both sides. My husband is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican (and an EXTREME fiscal conservative, though he does disagree with the agenda of the religious right wing nutjobs), and my daughter is a raving Commie (er, LIBERAL), who is excruciatingly "politically correct" (at 17), and *very* passionate about her opinions. I am caught in the middle between these two extremes, and I don't even like to talk politics, since someone is ALWAYS trying to win me over to their side. Usually loudly. And angrily. Like that's going to sway me to believe in what they're preaching.

"Bullies taking over the playground" indeed (and in my own house, too!) I run and hide, since no one will listen to a moderate opinion, or to someone who sees both sides and who wants to try to compromise..
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

We need more compromise. I'll keep my liberal bleeding heart in check if you keep your religion out of my throat
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    We need more compromise. I'll keep my liberal bleeding heart in check if you keep your religion out of my throat
    THIS!!!!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Anybody else remember that movie Dave? My favorite part was when the look alike's buddy, the plain old accountant, played by Charles Grodin came in to settle the budget problem. Wouldn't that be nice?

I, too, am tired of all the bickering and name calling. We don't tolerate it from children on the playground why we continue to accept it from politicians is beyond me.

No kidding!

There's a reason why congress has a 14% approval rating and why over 80% of polled americans think congress is acting like "spoiled children" (see the august 1 CNN/gallup poll). I am also sick to death of soundbites and staged replies.

In all of the debates for both parties, I think that if the candidate doesn't answer the question actually asked of them, the question keeps getting asked again and again until they answer.

I'm also sick to death of hearing candidates say that they speak for "All Americans" or "have a mandate from the people". And their policies represent what the people really want. Pull-ease! We're a diverse nation. No one candidate speaks for everyone. And too few of the people actually vote anyway. That's why we need elected officials who can compromise and work with each other to solve actual problems.

While I'm at it, I'm sick to death of hearing candidates spout false statistics and incorrect facts. They actually sway peoples' opinion using hyperbole and wrong information. That's wrong.

Lastly, I'm sick of uneducated voters. Fact check, people!!! Vote!!!!! Become informed about the facts, the pros and cons of legislation, and the long-term reprocussions of it!!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeeesh!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent! Cathartic!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    No kidding!

Lastly, I'm sick of uneducated voters. Sheeeeeeesh!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent! Cathartic!
    This is what drives me CRAZY. The most vocal simply parrot nonsense with absolutely NO effort to verify facts.

Spew hate and emotion, NEVER check the facts.

It's maddening.

I'm a little fascinated by how completely blind EVERYONE running the country seems to be to anything that's further down the road than the next election or financial statement. The economic collapse highlighted the lack of long-term realism in business, and now it's like watching a rerun with politicians. Even the press seems oblivious - we've had about a year now of constant reporting on the slow-motion collapse of the president and the congress, and every single article, column and story focuses on how the latest failure will impact - the failture-in-question's re-election. At this point, they're all looking less like leaders and more like parasites - killing their host.

It's amazing, though. The GOP got back in because people were so frustrated that the Democrats had ignored the economy in favor of healthcare reform, then the GOP goes and ignores the economy in favor of debt reduction. At this point, it's utterly unfair to blame the voters. We did our part, to the extent we could (2 parties, Independents not allowed to vote in primaries in many states) but the politicians are chasing fairies in the garden while the house burns down.

I agree.

I'm sick of ideologues using me as a pawn in their pathetic game of checkers.

And I am also fed up with people spouting off talking points and trying to make it sound like original thought. Good googly moogly.

Leave me the heck alone. If I wanted someone to control my life, I'd move in with my mother in law.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Sometimes it seems like they are auditioning for their own reality TV show.

Maybe some have gotten lucrative offers to do a show, and the others are jealously tying to out stage them for a chance to have a TV show too?

What about my liberal bleeding heart religion? What do you suggest I do with it? Serious question.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

AMEN!

(and I mean that in a liberal bleeding heart sort of way)

I have a pretty high tolerance for politics, posturing and partisanship. I worked on the Hill and in politics for a while, and I understand that to a certain degree, that's how the sausage gets made.

But this level of "I'm gonna hold my breath until I get every single thing that I want" is just out of hand. I'm disgusted at my own particular Representative (Cantor) for being one of the leaders of this brand of I'm-taking-my-toys-and-going-home politics.

Compromise means that noone is entirely happy, but everyone gets a little bit of something. I fail to believe that we must go wholly to one extreme or another in order to solve this country's ills.

This is why my husband still has his British citizenship...if it gets too bad, we'll move. But then again, I don't know its much better over there...

I'm with you. I'm a moderate, have always been a moderate. I have to say, since I've moved to Kentucky I've moved a little more to the liberal side, mostly because of the grinding poverty and lack of education opportunity.

Remember the movie, Network News, well, that's me. I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore! I've been emailing and calling my senators and congressman everyday, and I don't plan to stop.

I want term limits and campaign fund limits. We need to all stand up and demand what's ours: a reasonable, functioning, compromising government. Not a bunch of kindergartners squabbling in the sandbox.

Edited to add: And I don't want someone's religion shoved down my throat. Our country was founded on religious freedom, what happened?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I think it's time for some John Rawls-- political philosopher, died in 2002: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rawls

I'm not sure I have this right, but I heard his theory of justice summarized this way: "Those making the rules do so as if they would occupy any position in the system, even the person utterly without say."

In other words, the winners set up a game in which they would be happy even if they wound up happy as losers.

What I mean is that the muck-raking that has become SOP in American politics has gotten too expensive. The down-grading of the US credit rating by S&P isn't about what Congress did, so much as how they did it. The rest of the world has no faith in a government willing to bicker while dangling the country's economy over a cliff. Who would do business with someone willing to risk so much? Clearly, the "side" thinks so little of it's own well-being can't be trusted to think of the other's or behave rationally in the future.

That's what happened with our elected officials, IMO. They knew some debt ceiling agreement would be reached. No politician could afford to be the person singly responsible for, say, the deaths of people who didn't get their SS checks and starved to death. Nor would they want to live in the destabilized society where the poor turned to crime in droves because they had to. At some point, even the DC politico gets mugged, right?

The bickerers in Washington personally wouldn't lose too much. Or they wouldn't see or admit what they'd lose after the dust settled and the economy was made that much worse.

They really didn't care what happened to the American public along the way. What a spectacular failure of "democracy"! It's nuts that a government should willingly fail its electorate so badly. How can that group, or the grand political system that produced it be trusted by anyone?

IMO, the American public needs to vote for much more personal responsibility from its politicians. This won't be measured in who gets blow jobs from whom. It won't even be measured in terms of wanting this position or that position on health care, the national debt, defense budget, religion or any other issue. It will be measured in the way any candidate can prove that he comes to the table ready to negotiate rather than win at any cost.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    What about my liberal bleeding heart religion? What do you suggest I do with it? Serious question.
    I will just start this by saying I think organized religion is crazy and definitely not for me but I 100% think you and everyone else has the right to practice what you believe in. Faith is very important to a lot of people and I have seen how much it helps in times of crisis and sadness. I however do not believe it has any place in our government. I think the problem people see with the republican party right now is that they are trying to impose their views into the laws of our country. When you have people who adamantly try to take away the right to choose and bar the rights of gays, to me, that is unconscionable in a country that is supposed to be based in freedom. I am an extremely fiscally conservative person but I would never ever in a million years vote for a party who seems to stand for those types of things. I know every republican doesn't have those feelings and every religious person doesn't harbor intolerance of others beliefs or freedoms but when you have people like Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin having legitimate chances at running for the office of president, things are out of control. In short, be as passionate about your religion as you want to be and practice whatever you want to, when you want to, but don't try to impose your beliefs on me and definitely don't try to make it part of our government.

Edited to add: To stay with the purpose of this thread, I think there is a middle of the road we can all agree on. I would venture to say, probably 75-80 percent of the American people want to get along and do respect others rights. It's not right that there are extreme liberals bullying conservatives and religious folks (usually Christians) but it's also not right that there are extremely conservative people bullying liberals with their views either. Again, America is supposed to be based in freedom not intolerance of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Keep it in check! Extremism in any form is insanity.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

does anyone SERIOUSLY think that congress and the pres would have let the USA lapseon the debt??? politics is a poker game of sorts and it's all about who can bluff the longest. It NEver would have happened and it didn't, which is proof that it wouldn't.... it was a matter of posturing to get what both sides wanted... in the end both sides folded. they each had a pair of the same damn cards.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.