The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A kitchen accident made the BEST toll house cookies but now can't duplicate - help!

I've been meaning to ask the foodies on COTH for months now. So, one day while making Toll House chocolate chip cookies, I clumsily swept the bowl containing the flour, baking soda and salt off the counter onto the floor. I had already mixed some of these dry goods into the wet egg/sugar/vanilla. I salvaged what I could left over in the bowl sitting on the floor and just "went with it". These cookies came out DELICIOUS!!! Instead of being cakey, they were lacey. Not hard but bend-y and sugary yummy. They looked like moonscape with their chocolate chips sticking up and the golden brown cookie part low and spread out on the cookie sheet when they came out of the oven.

Total yuminess but I cannot seem to recreate! Any ideas/ What exactly does the baking soda do? Should I try to eliminate that?

Thanks!

If I'm understanding right, you had more butter, egg vanilla and less flour baking soda salt. The more fat in the dough the more the cookies spread out and are less puffy. I would look for a recipe with higher amounts of fat to flour, or just experiment. Good luck and happy eating.

Try using Country Crock (or other spreadable) butter. My cookies always "spread out" and end up exactly like that when I use spreadable butter. I actually gave up making cookies for a long time because I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with my cookies.

Decreasing the dry ingredients will do that.

Also, for the best bet at soft cookies, use real butter. I also found that adding an extra egg white made for softer cookies too, especially if one is taking a short cut and mixing up a quick batch from those Betty Crocker bag mixes.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I once accidentally left out the eggs when making chocolate chip cookies and everyone raved about how wonderful they were. I usually use just one egg now when a recipe calls for two & I like the texture.
    I had to read your post twice to make sure you weren't scooping ingredients off the kitchen floor

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemare View Post
    I had to read your post twice to make sure you weren't scooping ingredients off the kitchen floor

Oops! Are we not supposed to do that?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Your butter was soft and melty. If you want them to spread out, get the butter very soft before mixing it. If you want them cakey and higher, the butter should be colder.

I don't like them when they are "lacy" like you describe (I know *exactly* what you meant!), so I make sure the butter is cold so they stay higher and cakey-ier.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

To get teh "lace" texture, you need a lot of butter (not shortening, which is any butter substitute for purposes of discussion) and a little less flour. Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening and spreads faster.

This recipe is pretty close to that result...

http://www.marthastewart.com/print/350439
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

For those that like soft chocolate chip cookies of the cakey type, don't use any white sugar in your cookies. Substitute an equal amount of brown sugar for the white. (example: If your recipe calls for 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar, you will put a total of 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar in the cookies). Then, when you have everything mixed together except the chips, add a couple spoonfuls of sour cream to the dough. Then add chips, bake, and enjoy.

Yummy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    Oops! Are we not supposed to do that?
    I have heard that if you eat stuff off the floor, the calories don't count.

I make cookies come out this way by doubling the baking soda.

I once made choco chip cookies for a picnic and doubled the recipe but forgot to double the butter. They were amazingly delicious!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I like high-rising, soft chocolate chip cookies, which I end up with by using equal parts white and brown sugar, equal parts butter and shortening, and more flour than the recipe calls for-- at least 1/2-1 cup more. I bake often enough that I go more by dough texture than recipe instructions-- if the dough is too "sticky," it gets more flour. Usually, I make the dough and then it goes into the fridge for at least a couple hours before baking, but last night I had to make a batch for a party and was in a hurry, so they went straight from bowl to pan-- and they baked up nice and tall anyway, even when not pre-chilled beforehand. So I may skip that step from now on...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemare View Post
    Hey!
    Cooking 3 Second Rule!
    No witnesses in the kitchen means it did not happen.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Did they have a brandy snap texture?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I think what happened was simply that you changed the sugar/flour ratio. Next time try using about 1/2 cup less flour (that's what I am estimating was lost in the spill!) I wouldn't worry about the salt and baking soda too much - the recipe calls for 2 1/4 c. flour and only a teaspoon of baking soda and salt - yeah, I make a lot of cookies! - so you probably didn't lose too much of those last 2 ingredients.

The key to getting them to stay chewy and not brittle is to not bake them too long.

What a problem- having to experiment with a cookie recipe. I think I would like to work for Cook's Illustrated...