The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What was this animal??

I was woken up about 3.30am this morning to the strangest sound. Sounded almost like a crow "caw," but higher pitched. Extremely loud and pretty frequent, so when it didn't stop after a minute or so I got out of bed to check it out. It was dark so I didn't get a great look, but it was an animal of some sort, not a bird. About the size of a medium-sized dog, with a slender body, legs that were long in proportion to its body, and large pointed ears. I do have red fox on my property, but this was taller than any fox I've seen before. When I started to walk toward it, it ran off and was very quick/agile. From the way it moved, I don't think it was just a stray dog (plus the noise was not something I've ever heard from a dog). Several of the horses were definitely on edge this morning too, so I'm not sure if it was near the barn area at some point and got them stirred up. Any thoughts??

coyote

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Chupacabra Probably a coyote. I would keep cats and small dogs inside if it is a coyote. We found out the hard way

time to buy a gun and learn how to use it. they will kill your pets for sport, and large numbers will attack horses.
    I have a horse that is blind in one eye from coyotes
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Coyote. When we lived in Cypress (north of Houston), I had to chase a coyote down that stole a halter from the barn. Honest, it really wasn't *that* dirty...

Out here where we live now, we have oodles of coyotes. When they really get going, they have a constant "yip" sound. And definitely keep small animals inside!
    Horse Feathers Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Sipsi View Post
    Coyote. When we lived in Cypress (north of Houston), I had to chase a coyote down that stole a halter from the barn. Honest, it really wasn't *that* dirty...
    We have coyotes here in my backyard in Central Mass, I see them frequently and before I wised up, I lost several cats. A couple years ago I was wearing my favorite pair of nice leather sandals, when I had to catch one of my cats at dusk to get him in the house. I kicked them off together in one spot to better catch the cat, caught him in the backyard and went in the backdoor completely forgetting about the sandals. The next morning there was only one of them, and I never found its' match. I'm convinced a coyote carried the other one off.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Sigh. I was hoping that wasn't the case. I have heard groups of coyotes howling before some distance from my property, but I've never seen one up close and I've never heard them make this noise before. My dogs are house dogs, but I do have a barn cat and the horses are all turned out at night right now due to the heat, including a young foal. Hopefully this guy was just exploring and won't decide to make my place a regular haunt.

Chupacabra

They (coyotes) visit us from time to time and have yet to wreak any havoc. Foals, chickens, cats, dog, child . . . all present and accounted for. I wouldn't worry too much about a single, random visitor.
    Click here before you buy.

Don't be too hasty with the 'get a gun and shoot it' attitude; we have lots of them here. They are shy, small and do not hunt in packs. They will take sheep/lambs, but everybody takes them in at night. Our cats that live in the barn seem to have their safety routes organized IF one were to come hunting.

I'd be more afraid of coy-dogs who may be less shy and run in packs. I actually love the coyotes' night time singing, especially when an emergency vehicle with its sirens on or the train whistle sets them off. We can kind of judge how the coyote population is doing by the amount of bunnies hopping around.

Living in the country with all its pleasures, including wildlife, we try to have a balance of tolerance with all things country.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Don't be too hasty with the 'get a gun and shoot it' attitude; we have lots of them here. They are shy, small and do not hunt in packs. They will take sheep/lambs, but everybody takes them in at night. Our cats that live in the barn seem to have their safety routes organized IF one were to come hunting.

I'd be more afraid of coy-dogs who may be less shy and run in packs. I actually love the coyotes' night time singing, especially when an emergency vehicle with its sirens on or the train whistle sets them off. We can kind of judge how the coyote population is doing by the amount of bunnies hopping around.

Living in the country with all its pleasures, including wildlife, we try to have a balance of tolerance with all things country.
    I agree with this. We have lots of coyotes. I have not heard of them hunting pets for sport or even taking on feral cats. I wouldn't encourage them to come within feet of my house, but they are often just off the edge of my property and I don't consider them a danger (for my dogs, cats, kids or horses).

They certainly work to keep the mouse & rabbit population down, and I'm not too upset about that.

Default Simple Solution

Buy an Akbash dog, they are super good at livestock guarding. We have two on the farm, they look after everything, horses, sheep, cows, not agressive to humans but deadly to intruding critters.

Good excuse to get a donkey -- or two!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    They are shy, small and do not hunt in packs.
    They pack up around here. They will also come right up to my front porch. Got three of my chickens two weeks ago. Tried to get the rest last night. Have lost numerous cats and poultry to them over the years. Got the neighbor's full grown dalmation and dragged it off to the den (at least a half mile). They followed the blood trail from the house to the den. Another neighbor lost his JRT to them. Definitely coyotes and not coy-dogs.

My neighbor's have a livestock guardian dog and she usually keeps them away but I haven't seen the dog in weeks so I'm wondering if she died. So far they have left the minis and goats alone but I'm keeping the bottle baby Boers in the barn at night until they are bigger.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Coyotes are generally harmless unless you are a small animal. They will hunt in packs BUT do use an ambush type hunt. One coyote goes out and either lures something towards the pack or chases it that direction and then the pack will try to surround the prey.

They are usually very timid and shy animals and much smaller than people realize. Some may look huge but most weigh in under 35lbs. The dangerous ones are the coy-dogs.

I go with the philosophy that if it isn't bothering anything, let it live. Then again I have had to take care of more coyotes than I care to for gun shot wounds from people trying to shoot them simply because they are a coyote. Painful surgery, lots of rehab time, and eventual release. They have just as much right to be on the land as any person.

if it was making a high pitched... kind of...

eeeooww, eeeeoooww

it was probably a fox, and those are beneficial

here is some audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Nuh...eature=related

I'm thinking a Fox..they make the higher pitch yelling kind of sound...the Coyotes howl more and yip in a pack..
    There's a Fox by my house and when it see the inside critters it makes that 'yelling' sound...
    Either way, be careful. I had a Coyote take my dog & kill her within 25 feet from it...the Coyote can be calculated!
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
    www.EquineKneadsLLC.com

OK, so how do I get my dogs to calm down now that I played the YouTube sound effects???????

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    if it was making a high pitched... kind of...

eeeooww, eeeeoooww

it was probably a fox, and those are beneficial

here is some audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Nuh...eature=related
    Wow, that was it!! The "alarm bark" in the clip was just what I heard. And I've definitely seen fox running around on my property before. This seemed a little taller than the other fox I've seen, but it did seem much smaller than what I would have expected of a coyote, and when it ran off it moved more like a fox. I just had no idea that fox made noises like that - very interesting.

Even if it was a coyote, I wasn't planning to start a nightly hunting expedition - I also feel like as long as it doesn't bother me, I won't bother it. But I do feel like it's a lot less likely that a fox will start bothering me (and my animals) than a coyote!

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    OK, so how do I get my dogs to calm down now that I played the YouTube sound effects???????

Oh, but that's part of the fun!!!!!

When I play a fox call on my computer the dogs about soil themselves in a race to get out of the house. This is my revenge on them for getting muddy and coming into the house to shake it off on my freshly painted walls. Heh heh heh...

I'm a live and let live sort of person, so don't kill wildlife unless it is posing a direct threat to my pets or livestock. But I do have a coyote at the taxidermist and he should be back in October sometime.

Coyotes do pack up and take down livestock around here. Since he is a larger predator, if you have a healthy fox population it may decrease a little, or a lot depending on how many coyotes move in. If you have pure coyotes, they will tend to act like coyote. If you have coy dogs or coy wolves......their behavior is more unpredictable. And therefore more dangerous.

You might want to read up on coyotes, so that you know a bit more about their biology. A good site will probably be your game dept website, which will have information specific to your state. The state DNR,extension, or other science oriented sites and books might be helpful too.

They are amazing animals. Hopefully you can co exist with them, and if one animal poses a problem, use nonlethal or lethal measures to deal with that problem animal.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

OK, my dogs are confused LOL!