The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This is Why You Don't Ride a Horse Over A Bridge Without Railings

All captured on film by the rider involved.

From the video info:

I thought this was going to be a nice ride but I was wrong. Never assume your horse is going to play follow the leader. I know I should have stopped the camera and didn't. Also just to let you know neither myself nor the horse were hurt. It was a stupid mistake that could have cost me my life or my horse. We no longer take the horses down this trail for that reason.

http://youtu.be/wDXmQ4EVZRE
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

The more affordable edge of Eventing Heaven, VA

I dunno, even with railings if the horse wasn't careful spinning around it could have still flipped over a railing (which might have made the landing worse).

I had to cross a couple of bridges like this riding to lessons years ago. Granted, they were wood with dirt road gravel over them but the different sound took horses some getting used to. I even had ducks explode out from under the bridge now and then, very exciting.

I'm glad rider and horse seemed to end up okay. You never can horses reactions for granted.
    Leap, and the net will appear - A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett

Hopefully the central park carriage lady doesn't see this. I'm sure the horse wasn't picked up, carried to the nearest veterinary hospital and given the next six months off, after the lady found her camera.

But seriously, I just crossed a bridge without rails/sides last week... it would not have been as much of a fall but it still would have been a rocky landing.

a friend on mine was riding her older bomb proof, done everything, mare over a similar bridge with me and a friend. her horse started backing up and fell off the bridge. Rider and horse were pinned between a tree and the bridge. Amazingly enough, both walked out with only minor injuries. bridges make me nervous ever since. with or without rails.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    Hopefully the central park carriage lady doesn't see this. I'm sure the horse wasn't picked up, carried to the nearest veterinary hospital and given the next six months off..

I was going to post that but you beat me to it, oldpony66

Oh! My Gosh! Oh My Gosh! Oh My Gosh! Run, Run, Run!!!

I think I may use this as my new sig line

A friend was riding her TB over a part of the C&O Canal towpath...he started backing up and reared...she fell off and landed 6' down with her legs apart...he fell off and his butt landed exactly between her legs. Neither one was hurt...a real miracle, it could have been a terrible injury for either of them.

Sometimes, good things happen.

Scary stuff.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Wow, that isn't a very narrow bridge. I wouldn't have tried a greenie on it mounted the first time or two, but I would certainly not have thought twice about taking a more experienced horse over something like that.

Peeps hates anything remotely like narrow bridges so I don't even try yet with him.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

That video scared the heck out of me. Yikes.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

They react to the change in sound underfoot, as well as the visuals. Bridge introduction is a training moment. Guess the rider didn't know this?

I'm impressed. I can't type what y'all would be hearing from me were I holding the camera.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Oh and - they can definitely cross a bridge without railings - after they have learned to cross a bridge. Training, which didn't happen on that video. In a proper setting.

I like the comment someone posted on YouTube: "you ride a green 3 yr old with one hand while holding a camera...there are Darwin awards for people like you..."

So very, very true.

Maybe a Darwin award for the horse as well....