The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross Country Shippers?

(I swear to god this has been a thread, but no matter what search terms I used I couldn't get it to come up! If someone can find it and post the link, it would be much appreciated!)

My boarder/friend of five years is leaving me for grad school across the country, and is taking her retired TB with her.

She's going literally ACROSS the country, from Western Mass to the very coast of Oregon. It's a looongg trip, so she's looking for a reputable hauler that she can trust, one who ships with the fancy air-ride trailers. Her guy is a good shipper, but can occasionally worry some weight off if he's stressing about something, so she wants someone who is going direct as possible. (Layovers are fine and necessary, but she doesn't want someone going from MA to FL to TX to CA and then to OR, for example.)

Any names to toss out there? Any names to definitely stay away from!

Thanks! She is leaving the end of August, but he is not going until the end of September, so she has some time to ask around for recommendations/fit him into a shippers schedule.

Default Cross country shippers

Kim Elliot of Elliot Equine,,google them, she has an on line quote page, big air ride rigs, boxes.

Bob Hubbard. Have used them for years.

Cob Size Guest

I just used Equine Express for a trip from the Midwest to the East Coast--not nearly as long a trip as your friend will be making, but they were great.

I cannot recommend Equine Express enough. I shipped my horse from Idaho to Georgia and he came off the trailer looking awesome. Plus they put him a box stall for most of the trip because they had extra space even though I didn't pay for it. Their layover is in Dallas though so it might not be the best option for your friend.

I have also used Nationwide and was happy with them although I have heard of others having issues with them. They were more expensive than EE but their layover is in Colorado so not as much out of the way.

Love Equine Express and they would be my first call. Great service, great communication, took fabulous care of horse and free upgrade to box stall since they had the space. Had a less than acceptable experience with another big name (and very popular) shipper last year and would never use them again.

I used Cox Equine Transportation for a Texas to Connecticut ship and was pleased with them.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I have used Equine Express a bunch of times and always been pleased.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Another vote for Equine Express. They're reasonably priced, very reliable, and will also upgrade to a box stall at no expense if they have the room. I've used them twice and would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Yet another vote for Equine Express!

I did use these folks for a VA to OR trip and was pleased, http://coombestransport.com/ They are based in WA and make cross country trips.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I had a mare shipped from PA to OR(40 miles inland from the coast) and used Paul Lynch, with 4 Rail HOrse Transport. LOVED him! He was awesome, took great care of my mare(a clydesdale who had just weaned her foal a couple weeks before)...

I'm another who loves Equine Express and have done two cross country ships with them. However, you will have to accept the TX layover. When I shipped a gelding from Ithaca, NY to No. CA he made the trip in four days, was upgraded to a box stall at no charge, but did have a day layover in TX.

Nationwide has sold and by all accounts, is providing appalling customer service to those transporting horses with them.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com