The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dang...a CL post

sale-kkhew-2501754293@craigslist.org

I did contact the poster. Perhaps there is backstory, but "his work is done with us"?? Who the hell wants to take on a 21 year old Perch stallion? This is the stuff that makes my eyes bleed and I lose sleep at night! And that pisses me off.

"No dealers. No meat buyers". Hello ???? Who in hell is going to step up and give your old guy a great home?? Why not you??

I'm hoping there's an expanation, but I think....not so much.

Uh, that's the e-mail for the ad, not the link....

I dunno, if I had my own land I'd think about it if they removed a couple body parts first. (I LIKE old. Old is GOOD. Old is usually CALM. So why am I looking at a four-year-old who may or may not need brain surgery again?)

http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/grd/2501754293.html Found it. Yay, he's old, been covering mares, and doesn't know how to do anything else! Perfect candidate for rehoming...

Since it will no doubt disappear from CL soon...

Finger Lakes (NY??) CL:

Percheron, registered, 21yrs old (penn yan)
    Date: 2011-08-10, 2:24PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-kkhew-2501754293@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    21 yr old percheron stallion, has been used for breeding all his life. Has not been ridden, has not been driven. His job here with us is complete. Need to find him a wonderful careing home. Stands aprox 18hh. VERY well mannered. Easy on his mares, easy to handle. In good health, no supplements. Recently wormed. Needs some TLC. Only those who are willing to offer this guy a wonderful home need reply. NO DEALERS! NO MEAT BUYERS!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Poodles & Barrel Racers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Well at least they are trying to warn off the dealers and meat buyers. They are trying to find him a home, instead of just shipping him off to a low-end auction.

Oh, I've got an idea ---maybe he can go to one of the many equine sanctuaries that the anti-NYC carriage horse people keep talking about sending all the carriage horses to once their jobs are taken away and their owners are prohibited from selling or giving them to anyone who will ride or dirve them.

Since this poor guy doesn't even know how to be driven or ridden, he would be a perfect pasture pet, once he is gelded. If you can safely geld a 21 year old heavy horse.

I feel sorry for that poor old guy. Wonder why they don't just retire him on their farm? Maybe they don't ahve enough land. Who knows. They are probably replacing him with one of his sons, or they now are working of lis line and breeding his daughters and granddaughters, so he doesn't fit into their breeding program any more.

Dear CL stallion owner,

Until you teach your horse to do something besides make other horses, I regret to say he won't be in demand. He's eating too much hay to be a little pasture pet. He doesn't need to keep breeding. Would YOU buy a big draft horse you could not do anything with?

He served you well until you "didn't need him any more". Why don't you return the favor and get him some training? How many years did you have him and make $ off his breeding -- why couldn't you give him a little training here and there? He's 21. Could *nobody* bother to start him in harness or under saddle?

At the very least, why can't he be gelded?

Do you understand that there isn't a market for the horse YOU made him into?

Sincerely,

Puzzled CL Reader

P.S. Why are you studding out a horse who has done absolutely nothing his whole life. How can you recommend making more horses like him if you have no idea how good, sound, and reliable he would be when put to work?

I get so annoyed at these sort of ads...old horse/we're done with 'im. Yes, in an ideal world, all old horses would finish out their lives in somebody ELSE'S paradise.

Saw this ad this morning...could only shake my head.

"Wonderful babysitter, Pee Wee horse, and teacher. We are offering for sale our 27 year old gelding.
    He has taught our kids a lot in the time he has spent with us. He will do Barrels, Poles, Goats, and Breakaway roping.
    He is extremely calm in and out of the arena. Will stand tied at the trailer all day long. Will stand all day in the roping box for a child to get ready to rope. Picks up all four feet very nicely for the farrier. Very easy keeper. The only thing with him is that he is missing quite a few teeth, therefore he must have his feed watered down so he can eat it.
    the only reason we are selling him is that our kids have moved on to younger horses and we need the space in the barn.
    A good home is a must!"

Oh, and they're only asking $1200.00 for him.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Geezle Peet, KSAQHA, that one got to me. Poor old thing.

Oh for heaven's sake. I have no problem with moving on usable horses. Or trying to sell anything, come to that. Money's money. But live in the real world--if you don't want him because he's old and toothless, why would someone else pay $1200 for him?

bayou_bengal--I don't think there's any reason you can't geld an older stallion, draft or otherwise. If he IS good-natured already, that would go a lot farther to getting him placed somewhere.

Then there's the people on that other thread who want, what $3000+ for a horse whose training's gone downhill where you can get the same horse only better for $1000 right now? The market sucks, sellers. Try and sell, but for heaven's sake, don't expect miracles.

Well, I imagine the people who would want him.. would be other breeders. I know a lot of people who've bought older stallions before. But then again.. those are usually in breed websites, not on craigslist.

as to the safely.. some vets will geld older stallions, some won't. Always something to check with your vet, before purchasing!

Quote Originally Posted by KSAQHA View Post
    I get so annoyed at these sort of ads...old horse/we're done with 'im. Yes, in an ideal world, all old horses would finish out their lives in somebody ELSE'S paradise.

Saw this ad this morning...could only shake my head.

"Wonderful babysitter, Pee Wee horse, and teacher. We are offering for sale our 27 year old gelding.
    He has taught our kids a lot in the time he has spent with us. He will do Barrels, Poles, Goats, and Breakaway roping.
    He is extremely calm in and out of the arena. Will stand tied at the trailer all day long. Will stand all day in the roping box for a child to get ready to rope. Picks up all four feet very nicely for the farrier. Very easy keeper. The only thing with him is that he is missing quite a few teeth, therefore he must have his feed watered down so he can eat it.
    the only reason we are selling him is that our kids have moved on to younger horses and we need the space in the barn.
    A good home is a must!"

Oh, and they're only asking $1200.00 for him.
    Well if he's as good as they say he is, they might be able to get that much for him from somebody looking for a horse to start a kid roping or goat tying.

Well if he's as good as they say he is, they might be able to get that much for him from somebody looking for a horse to start a kid roping or goat tying.
    Agreed. A Pee-wee rodeo horse, who is expected to take a 5 or 6 year old kid into the arena (not on a leadline!) so the kid can rope something, or run barrels, and that you can put any kid at all on, will probably sell, 27 or not, if he can be made comfortable with some maintenance.

Yep, those packer horses that know the patterns and take care of their small fry riders are worth their weight in gold even if they do have some age on them. If this old boy is reasonably sound and a good kid horse, they can probably get that much for him.

Default Second That

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Yep, those packer horses that know the patterns and take care of their small fry riders are worth their weight in gold even if they do have some age on them. If this old boy is reasonably sound and a good kid horse, they can probably get that much for him.
    My first barrel mare was blind in one eye and in her upper 20s. We knew that going in but the value of her know how was why we bought her in the first place I did actually win against BNT. DD's lesson pony is at least somewhere in the 20s and every time he's at the shows BO gets offers for him all of which she turns down. He's not for sale and never will be. Sound (with NO maintenance), safe, reliable small pony that can take a kid from lead line to Training level AND WIN against younger ponies and horses.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Hate to disagree with you guys, but in my neck of the woods, a been-there-done-that kid's horse can be purchased for not a whole heck of a lot more money than that...at almost half the age. Yes, many of us are familiar with some packer in its early 20s that is still suitable for all the events the ad lists, and those special individuals typically find good homes by word of mouth...not CL. Gee whiz...again, the guy's 27! You're going to tell me that horse doesn't have at least minimal arthritis issues? And I can only imagine his topline. Doesn't he deserve a better outcome than possibly ending up with some little newbie kid(s) thinking they're going to ro-dee-oh, yanking on his half-toothless mouth, wanting to giddy-up and GO (as most kids to do, despite their inexperience), then getting mad because ol' Dobbin doesn't/won't go there? Parents with any experience in those events are NOT going to invest in a horse that old. More than likly, that leaves the possibility the poor guy ends up with people that have no clue on how to maintain a geriatric horse...or how to treat it, for that matter. A fairly moot point, because the likelihood of getting that kind of money, for that horse around here, is sadly quite nil. They'll be lucky to even find a 'good' home for it. Yes, I hope I'm wrong...and some saint of a family swoops him up...but, I highly doubt it. IMO he deserves better...as in retirement.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><