The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hunterhopeful Guest

Question Am I too old? (I hope not)

I have been lurking here for quite a while and really enjoy this forum. I am looking to get some feedback about my goal. I am in my mid 50s and want to learn to jump and show hunters. A bit about me: I am a re-rider although I never jumped as a kid or had any formal training. I have been riding for a couple of years now on the flat, taking lessons with some good and some not so good trainers. I had a riding accident a couple of years ago that put in me in the hospital for a few days so my confidence was kind of shattered for a while. However, I am doing great now and feel very good about where I am at and where I want to go. I want to know if you think I am too old to begin jumping.

no way!! I ride with a woman who is in her late 50's who just started learning how to jump 7 years ago and she does great. I think as long as you have the will, find a good trainer with nice, safe, and well trained horses you will have a blast!

A good friend of mine (in her early 60s) who had never ridden until about 3 years ago, first jumped this time last year is now rocking the PreAdults and having a blast. Go for it! I would second KateKat, the right horse is key.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterhopeful View Post
    I have been lurking here for quite a while and really enjoy this forum. I am looking to get some feedback about my goal. I am in my mid 50s and want to learn to jump and show hunters. A bit about me: I am a re-rider although I never jumped as a kid or had any formal training. I have been riding for a couple of years now on the flat, taking lessons with some good and some not so good trainers. I had a riding accident a couple of years ago that put in me in the hospital for a few days so my confidence was kind of shattered for a while. However, I am doing great now and feel very good about where I am at and where I want to go. I want to know if you think I am too old to begin jumping.
    Never! It just sounds like you just need to find the right trainer and a barn with some great school horses. There are plenty out there

My policy is, if you can physically do it, you're not too old. Can you get on a horse and stay on? You're not too old. You just need the right trainer.

go for it!!!

I am almost 50 and still trying to work my way out of 2'6" land (started pretty late in life). plenty of women in their 50's in this division. you will have lots of fun

Well, I maybe one of the last over 50 riders at my barn to want to show again, but absolutely no you are not too old. I have a young TB that I will be riding soon, and yes, I do count on a couple of ER visits but I am excited to be riding a horse that will compete soon. My daughter will be competing with him if all goes well, but I hope to have a couple over fences classes in my future with him. Have fun.

Ya know, its a funny thing about age.....and horse accidents. Yes, I've had horses send me to the ER; both times in my 50's but interestingly, I was not mounted either time. First was when horse spooked at snow sliding off roof, I was tightening girth, he spun INTO me, and launched himself to the next county via my foot. Two broken bones, 6 weeks cast and crutches. Couple months ago at show, horse (new one) spooked at something while I was on my step ladder braiding her. She happened to knock me in the face in the process, butt over tea kettle into the wall and off to the ER for stitches in my lip and no treatment for black eye (it could have been much worse...) So mount up, and go for it; sometimes I feel safer on top than on the ground.

AND find a trainer that frets over his/her adult clients - those are the ones that won't overface you or overmount you.

I am 59 and having a blast. I only do 2'6" now, and have two sweet horses, and a great trainer. Go for it! But do find a horse you trust.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Yes, having a bomb proof, sane horse is key - having just been thrown by a 3 yr old and getting a broken arm. We old folks don't bounce as well as we used to!!! But we can still have fun!!!

Absolutely go for it -- right horse is the key - but most of all - have fun!!!!! And let us know how you make out!!!

Welcome to COTH! Look at it this way: you're never too old to have fun, and jumping is FUN! I'm 55, do the 3' Adult Ammy stuff and didn't get started doing a lot of jumping and showing until my mid-40's. Enjoy!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I'm turning 50 in a couple of months...still a beginner - not a rerider! I'm starting to jump now - don't know if I will ever get to 2'6", but I'm enjoying crossrails!

I've known women who rode well into their 60's and even 70's and were very successful doing it! I hope that I have the motivation to keep riding when I am your age and I hope that you find the safe, dependable horse and trainer that you're looking for. Best of luck!
    Fall down six times, stand up seven.

Welcome to the "I can have an adult beverage without being carded after I ride" group. It's a great place to be. I third or fourth or whatever the importance of having a safe, reliable horse to learn on. I have to say, it's a lot of fun to go out and enjoy. And it's great workout. And it's a great way to blow off stress.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

hunterhopeful Guest

Wow! First of all, thank you all so much for your positive comments of support. I'm glad I was not crazy thinking I can do this after all :-) I agree that finding the right trainer with the right horses is paramount. I have a barn I am considering lessoning at and wonder if anyone in Philadelphia metro area has heard of it? It's called Jentri Stables at Stepping Stone Farm in Bucks County. Or if anyone knows of another not further than Buckingham area in Bucks?
    Last edited by hunterhopeful; Aug. 12, 2011 at 12:24 AM.

I agree--go for it! I have a friend who started riding at age 50, started eventing, and got up to Beginner Novice!

I have been thinking that I want to start in hunters, and work my way up to showing Academy U/S and OGP (over ground poles). If that is as far as I get, great! I am in my late 50s and have no desire to never ride again.

Who knows? Maybe we will meet on the A circuit one day.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I too am a re-rider and in my 50s. What bugs me is seeing/hearing all these people our age talk about how "old" they feel and that walking is about all they can do for exersize. I plan to ride well into my 80s because my 7 yr old OTTB and 3 yr old (just started her training) TB hopefully won't be ready to retire until then. I think riding and spending time with my horses keeps me feeling young. Go for it 'girl'!

My mom is in her 50's and she stillwants to show! (we've been set back due to a lame horse and a baby who needs to be trained and no money for leases.) Your never too old. Theres a lady who rides her bike to the local boarding facility then rides her own horses then bikes home and she's in her 80's. (and apparently you're never too young for hip problems either, I can't ride because I injured my hip. It hasn't healed in five long, very long, horseless months.
    We are a combined soul, rider and horse as one, not two.
    The horses soul is a reflected from the eyes and mirrors your own spirit.

OK, just so some of you know I am carsonshadow's mom, I am 51. The lame horse is the older 19 year old horse, and yes two horses no money for a lease. Love you baby !!!