The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to tell if a mare is approved?

I bought a broodmare last fall that was sold to me as double approved. I have registration papers for her from Oldenburg (Main Mare BooK) and also a three generation pedigree from KWPN of North America that gives her a number but says it is not a registration paper. I also have a copy of the KWPN registration for one of her foals and also a copy of the registration from Oldenburg for another of her foals. Is there some other paper I need to show she is approved by both these registries, or is this all the proof I need? I assume since both her foals were registered she was approved by both, but am not sure.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

If she has a KWPN-registered foal, then she's approved at least KWPN.

She is also approved MMB GOV (as opposed to registered as stated)

Each of those registries will have her on record as being approved and in which book she resides (though you already know MMB for GOV).

If she has been inspected and taken into the mare book - there should be something on the papers saying so.
    Something that would should show her being in the main mare books would be in my eyes a piece of paper showing her inspection scores. You should get into contact with Oldenburg and KWPN society and ask for these kind of papers. (Do not know how KWPN wokrs) but For Oldenburg there should be something like this and maybe also Mare Test results.
    If she has german passport than there should be somewhere a sticker in it that she was taken into the marebook. There are special pages in the passport where this info goes.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    2017: Lissaro - SPS Don Frederico - Prince Thatch and Finnigan - Sandro Hit - Rouletto

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsMom View Post
    I have registration papers for her from Oldenburg (Main Mare BooK)
    If it is the red vinyl Pferdepass with pink papers, look on the page that says "Zuchtbucheintragungen" (Studbook Registration). I think it is page 13 or thereabouts. Her mare approval status will be listed there, with her mare book assignment and date she was approved.

Thanks for all you help...

She is a cross between a Dutch stallion and a APHA mare, so I don't think she is "registered" at either ISR/Oldenburg or KWPN but I was told she was "approved" by both these registries.
    One of the papers I received with her is an "official" sheet of paper from Oldenburg that says Main Mare Book and it has her score and name on it.
    I also have something from KWPN that is a 3 generation pedigree with her name on the top on which is stated: "Certificate of Pedigree which is an indication of lineage with at least one registered foalbook or auxilliary foalbook Dutch parent". They have her name and a number on it.
    I also have a copy of registration papers for one of her foals with Oldenburg and a different registration paper for another of her foals with KWPN. I would assume she would have to be approved for both these registries to have foals registered with them? She doesn't have any pink papers because she was born in the US and is a cross with a KWPN stallion and a paint mare.
    So are these all the papers I need to take to an inspection with a foal? (along with the Breeding Certificate from the stallion owner). She doesn't have a foal now, but I want to make sure when I breed her next year that I have everything I need to register her foal.
    Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Well ... if she is a cross of a KWPN stallion and a paint mare, she can not be registered Oldenburg nor approved in main mare book. Just not possible. But others knowing more about OLD should be better sources of infomation. maybe you should scan all paperwork you have and may mail it to one of the people knoiwing more about Old and KWPnN or the registries themselves whether they are original.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    2017: Lissaro - SPS Don Frederico - Prince Thatch and Finnigan - Sandro Hit - Rouletto

Well ... if she is a cross of a KWPN stallion and a paint mare, she can not be registered Oldenburg nor approved in main mare book.
    Actually, it IS possible although the Paint parent would have to be mostly TB. Here are the requirements for MMB approval, directly from the ISR/Old webpage:

•An overall score of not less than 94 points and no individual score of less than 5.0 points.
    •Proof of pedigree of 3 generations with more than 75% approved bloodlines* and an official registration documentation from an approved registry*.

Thus, if she is (for example) 26% TB along with her 50% Dutch, I believe she could be accepted into the Main Mare Book.

It sounds like this mare has a Certificate Of Pedigree from KWPN and was approved MMB by ISR/Old. The COP would show the required number of generations and (I think) count as the official registration document. I do not know what book her KWPN foals would be put in but I'm guessing it would not be the main one.

When taking a foal to an ISR/Old inspection, you will need a Breeding Certificate (from an ISR/Old approved stallion) and the Mare's papers and MMB certificate.

If her sire is a KWPN approved stallion or stallion recognised by the KWPN and she is bred to a KWPN approved stallion or stallion recognised by the KWPN then her progeny will automatically be registered in the Main foal book and will be eligible for presentation at the keurings as a foal and again as a three year old for entry to Main Stud Book.

Many mares are never presented at Keurings and remain in the foal book but their progeny can still be registered KWPN in the main foal book on the provision that they meet the stud book criteria.
    Last edited by L&L; Aug. 14, 2011 at 03:56 AM.

Thank you Trinity and L&L, your explanations are both very clear and I can see now how this mare can be approved by both KWPN and ISR/Oldenburg. I am relieved!

As far as KWPN is concerned, if she has a COP then she is not and cannot be "approved", as I understand it. See the chart of registration possibilities from the KWPN NA website

Also, see the section on "Books and Registers" here

To be approved and in the breeding studbook the mare would have to go thru the keuring process. Since only foalbook (Vb) and Reg A foals can do that (Reg B and COP cannot), then she cannot be approved. Her foal could have been entered in Vb, Reg A or Reg B, depending on the stallion (I'm relying here on the top left part of the linked grid, for the combination of a riding stallion and a riding mare with at least COP/Reg B status (which would be the same results as a mare from an Erkend studbook).

Since you have a copy of the foal's papers you can double-check by seeing which book the foal is in, how the sire is registered/approved, and comparing against the grid I linked above.

The folks in the KWPN office in Oregon have always been incredibly helpful at deciphering this, so I urge you to contact them to clarify anything.
    Last edited by Nod Hill Farm; Aug. 14, 2011 at 07:19 AM.

Who is the sire of your mare?

The sire of a Certificate of Pedigree mare must be KWPN Approved , Erkend or registered in the KWPN Foalbook in order for that mare's offspring to qualitfy for Foalbook. Otherwise the foal will qualify for Register B only.

Was her KWPN foal reg. B or main foal book?
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Ah, so the mare was approved by ISR/ONA, not the official North American division of The Oldenburg Verband, The Oldenburg Horse Breeders Society. They are totally different registries, and ISR/ONA has more lenient mare book policies than OHBS or the Verband (or most of the European WB registries, for that matter).

OP - who was the sire of your mare? And are all the stallions in the past three generations of her dam's pedigree Thoroughbreds? Or are some of them APHA stallions?