The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin off of the dog thread: Should I take this dog to a show?

I think I could make a killing taking my blue heeler/australian shepherd cross to shows to help load pissy horses onto trailers

Seriously! Somehow, somewhere, the dog trained herself to be the best horse loader ever. She will run up behind them, give a quick bark or nip, never too hard, and she gets out of the way quicker than you can even see! I guess she just watched us load so many horses that she eventually figured out that the big pissed off beast was supposed to go inside the big metal box. We had a lady overnight board some WBs at our farm once and she could not get a few of them on the trailer. She and SO tried for about 15 min before SO insisted to bring out "The Pumpkinator" to load the horse... About 10 seconds later, that horse was on the trailer!

$10 per loaded horse sound right?
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I am not a big fan of siccing dogs on horses. It makes me start to believe the dog haters have a point.

I once had a pony that someone "taught" to back up by flipping him over and siccing a pack on dogs on his belly. It didn't get the pony to back up but it did succeed in making the pony terrified of dogs until the day he died, at 34.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I

I once had a pony that someone "taught" to back up by flipping him over and siccing a pack on dogs on his belly. It didn't get the pony to back up but it did succeed in making the pony terrified of dogs until the day he died, at 34.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I KNOW, FlashGordon! Years later they had the temerity to brag to me of this training feat. Ugh, some people should be banned from owning animals.

The Pumpkinator sounds much more helpful and cute, though! Still, that pony would have killed her if he could have got to her.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I am not a big fan of siccing dogs on horses. It makes me start to believe the dog haters have a point.

OMG, that's one of the most appalling things I have ever heard!

I was joking more than anything else. You know, making a quick buck I wouldn't call it siccing a dog on a horse because most of the time the horses don't know what it was on foot all of a sudden and just hop away from it. If she doesn't get it on the trailer the first time (which she usually does), she quits because the horse is pretty ticked off with her at this point. She's definitely no horse or man eater! Kinda the way you see the heelers handle the cows, nothing vicious.

ETA: The more I think about that, the more it makes my stomach churn as a horse and dog lover. Man, I'd like to get a hold of that idiot!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

A good friend of mine had a blue heeler when we were kids...and we had a step-up trailer. I was loading my arab onto the trailer one day and the dog ran under the trailer and nipped my horse on his hind leg as he was loading. I then had to fight with him for about 45 minutes to get him back on the trailer (this was a horse who was a perfect loader, prior to that day.) It took a couple of months before he returned to loading without either balking or trying to bolt on.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."