The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default *Two* newbie foxhunting opportunities for CotH crew!

I finally got the dates that the Old Dominion Hounds will meet at (the real) Hunter's Rest this fall.

I was able to nab two slots -- one in cubbing season, one in formal season, so the newbie (and veteran) foxhunting crowds are invited to join us not once but twice!

* Saturday, September 24 ODH meets at Hunter's Rest, probably at 8 am or 8:30. I will offer a tailgate hunt breakfast following the hunt.
    (Special this weekend are the Foxfield Races in Charlottesville on Sunday, and for anyone coming from far out of town, try to stay over at least for Monday and we'll go car-topping for Day 1 of the North American Field Hunter Championships, which begins that day with the Middleburg Hunt.)
    * Saturday, November 12, ODH meets at Hunter's Rest, probably at 9 am. I will offer a formal hunt breakfast following the hunt.

ODH offers 3 fields:
    First field (runs and jumps)
    Second field (runs but does not jump - both first and second fields 'follow the hounds)
    Third field (for which I am the field master, we walk-trot with a very small amount of canter as allowed by the group, and we skirt the action, literally 'hilltopping' to position ourselves so we can *see* the action - as opposed to seeing only the bobbing tail of the horse in front of us!)

Anybody remotely interested please chime in here!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I'm in - with the usual caveat of "if my back cooperates".

I'll start saving my egg money for the caps.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I'm on board for the Sept 24 date, and I'm hopeful that one of the junior riders form my barn will join me.

This will be my third foray into the field with ODH and HR, and I strongly recommend it for anyone who's been dreaming of hunting. It's great fun, and very educational.

I've only done third field, so I can't make comparisons to the other fields, but I've had a great time, and we've been able to see the fox, and the hounds working, each time, along with great informational commentary by HR.

Hope I'll see some other CotHers there!

JSwan, you were posting at the same time I was...if your back is better but not 100%, why not ride with the slower crowd in third field? Unless your horse would be insulted

I want to do this in Alabama - the number 3 choice with a green youngster!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    JSwan, you were posting at the same time I was...if your back is better but not 100%, why not ride with the slower crowd in third field? Unless your horse would be insulted
    Oh yes - I can always do third field even if I can barely walk.

moonriverfarm - did you check out the MFHA website to see if there is a club near you? Or come up to Virginia and hang out with us.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I'm tentatively planning on or around Nov. 12- just not sure yet if I'll be in for Saturday, or whether I'll come out earlier in the week. Still have to check on flights, and find out if my parents will even be in town so I can get a visit in with them as well.

I am interested in the Nov 12th date.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I'm in with my friend for Nov 12...we will be trailering in from Indiana! Pray the "new to me truck" has already thrown all its misshaps to me by then!

It will be a long haul..

HR..my dates will change a bit since the hunt is on the 12th. Friday to Monday...
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

If I win the lottery, or even find a job that pays well, I'm so in! However I have no horse and no money...this could be a problem

Oh what I wouldn't give to be established, with a savings account, and a few sick days!!

Corky
    For goodness sakes, the point is that this bucket list opportunity *is* very affordable.
    The most expensive thing you'll have is your capping fee (one time, $150.) Other costs are negligible.
    Seriously.
    Contact me if you want more info. This is the *point*!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Put my name on the November list, petty-please-with-sugar.

At this point, I won't be riding, so I won't need to lease a horse (unless I get more confidence in my skills, rather "skills".)

Hopefully, someone coughwateryglencough will want to follow in her new pickup and take me along for a ride.
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

I would love to try and make it for the Nov. 12th date. I'm so disappointed that I'm missing out on taking my green horse to Casanova's event on Saturday from badly spraining my ankle, but maybe by November I'll have a chance to (a) get him ready and more fit for adventure, (b) sucker someone into trailering me, and (c) save money for the cap. It's also my friend's birthday, so I may even try to drag her with me if she thinks one of her horses will be up to it or if we can find a suitable horse!

Talk to Hunter's Rest..
    We can enable...
    Have some koolaid, M'Dear,
    It's really much better than beer
    Intermediate Riding Skills

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I'm in for September, but thought maybe I'd squeeze in November as well, if I save up some money...but it looks as though that is the "popular" date and may get booked up!
    Oh well, if that happens, there's always March

Okay, I'll bite. What happens in March? (Other than my birthday.)
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Nothing special, but last year there was a spring version of the CotH hunt that took place in March, and I was able to go for that one.

All the participants spent weeks worrying about how to fit long underwear under their hunt clothes, and then the weather turned out to be beautiful!

So if we do it again in March, you should come and celebrate your birthday

Anybody interested in this must contact me directly - not just on here!
    Lots to organize -- email me at home BetsyP@crosslink.net.
    I have Hinderella (Jane/Ct.) and Under The Bridge ([edit]/Tx.) signed on officially for September (but others have said 'yes!') and BigBayTb (Ind.) and Sonny's Mom (Pa.) for November (but, again, others saying 'yes!')
    Ya'll get with me directly so I can fill in.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 20, 2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: remove name

Talking Me too!

Of course I'm in! Will either be riding or car following but can arrange car for anyone coming regardless! I also have room here at my place if someone needs a place for yourselves/horsie. Humble but friendly!! I'm about 12 miles from the meet locations close to Warrenton.
    Just PM me!
    Can't wait! LOVE the Hunting Princess get togethers! We da bomb!! wooooo hooooo!!

Jealous of all of you! My dh and I had a wonderful time at Hunter's Rest this past June, but alas I am still recuperating from a broken arm and shoulder. Is there a car following group going as well?
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf