The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adult cat drooling

We have a house cat who started drooling quite a lot. It's now been a couple of days and it hasn't stopped. There is an odor also.
    His teeth and gums "seem" to be good, though I could have missed something. He doesn't seem to have any soreness or redness there.
    It's not related to purring or anything like that.
    I wondered if it could be an upper respiratory infection like a herpes outbreak that presented in this way.
    He was an abandoned-by-his-mother feral kitten who needed surgery at about six weeks old. Probably because he was on two types of antibiotics after the surgery, he has been the healthiest of his litter.
    Any suggestions as to what it might be - I don't think it's toxins unless he caught a spider or something (he does have an outside cage that he can access. I'd think it most likely to be herpes upper resp, or a tooth, but like I said, I don't see anything going on with his teeth.
    Thanks.

My guess is the same as yours, tooth or something he ingested.

Is he eating? In distress?

The only time I've ever had a cat drool was when she pulled a Linda Blair and licked Advantage I'd just applied (and I duly paid the ASPCA poison control vet to hear "she'll be fine.")

Personally, I'd get the cat to a vet.

cat who started drooling quite a lot. It's now been a couple of days and it hasn't stopped. There is an odor also.
    Kitty needs a vet!
    Don't rely on something obviously amiss with cats when it come to teeth issues - it comes up again & again on the boards, where owner finally takes cat into vet & vet pulls ALL of cat's teeth due to the severity of tooth decay (fortunately cats are amazingly adaptable creatures )

OR cat is euthanized as owner is unable to pay the $2K + estimate

I'd say it's in the teeth/mouth. Have a vet check him - he may need a dental.

Adding my 2 cents....see a vet. It could also be a tongue ulcer that may or may not be cancer.

He has a vet appointment for Monday morning. My excellent vet will call if she thinks she needs to see him sooner.

He's 5 or 6 - I'd have to look. I think his teeth are in good shape. He is a bit overweight which is his only issue otherwise.

Hopefully, it will be more of a social visit for him to see his vet. She's partial to him because she did his surgery when he was so tiny.

I appreciate the ideas and will let you all know what I find out.

I saw the title of this thread and thought "my cat drools a lot," but only when he's being snuggled and loved on. In fact, he drools so much that we call him Droolius (his real name is Julius) when we're lovin on him.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. Jingles from Ohio that it's something easily fixable and not serious!
    Sometimes it's just not worth it to chew through the ropes in the morning....

I also have had two cats that drool when being held and petted. They purr and drool.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

It is possible that he has a bad tooth or has something caught between his teeth. I had a cat with Feline HIV that got horrible gingivitis as a result of his suppressed immune system...we ended up having to euth him. There was another cat that got something caught between his back molars and once the vet removed the offending article and he had a round of antibiotics he was fine. Both these cats first symptoms were drooling and not wanting to eat much.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Well, his drooling has stopped. His fur is nice and soft and he's feeling good, eating and drinking well. I'm pretty sure it was a flareup of a herpes-based upper respiratory. It lasted the right amount of time and his fur had "that feeling". Those usually last about three days, which is what this did, too. I still have the appointment for Monday morning. Vet, who knows the cat and his littler mates well, didn't ask to see him sooner, and she would have if she thought it was something that needed immediate attention.

I think his teeth are in very good shape, and did feel around inside his mouth for soreness and looked for redness or puffiness. You just can't always tell, though, I know. The other thing we were concerned about was that he had something caught in his throat or something.

He certainly seems to be through it now, whatever it was.

It's funny about these cats who drool when they are happy and we read that some cats drool when they have happy dreams This cat doesn't do that, but it's cute that some do.

I appreciate all of the input. Anything like this is always scary, because even if you think it's not serious, you always know with cats that it can be.

I just thought I'd do a final update on this. This cat has been very well and has no symptoms of anything. I had waited to cancel his appointment just to make sure. It was scheduled for this morning. I called my vet at 7:00 am and she answered the phone. I told her that I wasn't going to bring him in because he was doing well. She was delighted and so happy that he didn't need her. She is such an excellent vet, and today she was so cute. lol She had done his surgery when he was six weeks old and has always been very fond of him - he was so tiny then, and the surgery so difficult.