The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Radical Animal Rights Activists Invade American Girl Store in NYC

American Girl stores had been offering a carriage ride package. The RARAs actually invaded the store yesterday - here's the video - and American Girl cancelled the package. However, the reason they gave for cancelling is they are afraid of what these RARAs may do to any young girls and their families taking this ride. Here is the American Girl statement:
    "American Girl respects the rights of all animals. While the company acted in accordance with NYC laws that support the humane treatment of working horses, the disruption caused by the demonstrators was such that we made the decision to cancel the carriage events and protect our young guests from a potentially threatening situation."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_iO8...ature=youtu.be

Never heard of RARA. Sad story. You don't want the little girls scared but it does rankle me that Rara got the upper hand. Wonder how Rara gets their funding? Couldn't they have called the cops?
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Never heard of RARA. Sad story. You don't want the little girls scared but it does rankle me that Rara got the upper hand. Wonder how Rara gets their funding? Couldn't they have called the cops?
    RARA is an acronym for "radical animal rights activist." In this case, the RARAs in question were Edita Birnkrant, a salaried employee of the Friends of Animals (a radical animal rights group), Roxanne Delgado, Mary Xanthos, Elizabeth Forel, and many others, who have libeled and slandered the carriage horse industry in NYC for years (NYS Senator Tony Avella is only one of many to actively and repeatedly slander the carriage horses... he doesn't even know that all the carriage horses in NYC have box stalls, a luxury not afforded to all police horses or riding horses in the city).

This may come back to bite the RARAs, as in causing the cancellation of the remaining events, they have definitively caused harm (with malice!) to the carriage operator under false claims of "cruelty." (There are anti-cruelty laws, hence a legal definition of cruelty... These horses are not suffering any more than any one of your riding horses owned by COTH users.)

My understanding is that American Girl did call the cops (the RARAs were trespassing) but that the cops did not arrive before the RARAs left half an hour later.

This action should worry anyone doing anything with horses, because these people believe using horses is exploitation. No matter how well you keep your horses, if they're being used for any commercial purpose whatsoever (and most non-commercial purposes) they'll be after you. Especially if you keep your horse in a stall, as horses are always supposed to be "running free in a field." The NYC carriage horses are the most visible, and the most vulnerable, but as I'm written before, they are the canary in the coalmine.

Most radical AR organizations (and this definitely includes PETA, SHARK, Friends of Animals and MOST definitely HSUS) believe that ANY animal use equals animal abuse. This means everything, including riding horses and keeping pets. Pets are slaves according to them. One year PETA killed 92% of the pets they "rescued" and promised to rehome. Another year they killed 100% of them. They were caught dumping euthanized pets in dumpsters. HSUS has assets of over $200 million and less than 1% of those funds go to help animals in shelters. HSUS went to help pets in Hurricane Katrina -- they "rescued" hundreds of pets, raised $30 million for them, DUMPED the pets on underfunded and overwhelmed local shelters and then left with all the money.

I am a huge proponent of animal WELFARE and i despise animal RIGHTS.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

And now they are going after little girls in toy stores. Can you imagine being a mom with your kid in that store, and they come barreling in, just days after the Norwegian tragedy? The RARAs are crowing about their "success." Scaring kids and forcing a company to make a decision because they are afraid you may harm children is a success?

Most radical AR organizations (and this definitely includes PETA, SHARK, Friends of Animals and MOST definitely HSUS) believe that ANY animal use equals animal abuse. This means everything, including riding horses and keeping pets. Pets are slaves according to them. One year PETA killed 92% of the pets they "rescued" and promised to rehome. Another year they killed 100% of them. They were caught dumping euthanized pets in dumpsters. HSUS has assets of over $200 million and less than 1% of those funds go to help animals in shelters. HSUS went to help pets in Hurricane Katrina -- they "rescued" hundreds of pets, raised $30 million for them, DUMPED the pets on underfunded and overwhelmed local shelters and then left with all the money.

None of that is accurate. Animal rights activists are against the use of animals in which the animals suffer as a result. Anti PETA people like to claim that they are flat out against owning animals, but if you look in their website, that is inaccurate. They ask for reforms in areas such as horse racing, circus and other exploitive industries where animals are generally mistreated for monetary gain. They are against the mistreatment of pets by uneducated and uncaring owners. So am I personally, and I don't think I am very radical in holding such beliefs.

As for them killing all of the animals they rescue...do you have any reliable source for such a claim? For any of your claims?

Ironically, the vast majority of major animal welfare reforms that have been made over the last couple of decades have come courtesy of the pressure/awareness created by animals rights activists. So hate them if you must, but be aware that they have done more for the welfare of animals than anyone claiming to care about animal welfare.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

What would happen to those horses if NY made their jobs illegal? Me thinks a round of auctions and a one way to Canada or Mexico... there is no way they are all going to run "free", not even the mustangs are allowed that these days

None of that is accurate. Animal rights activists are against the use of animals in which the animals suffer as a result. Anti PETA people like to claim that they are flat out against owning animals, but if you look in their website, that is inaccurate. They ask for reforms in areas such as horse racing, circus and other exploitive industries where animals are generally mistreated for monetary gain. They are against the mistreatment of pets by uneducated and uncaring owners. So am I personally, and I don't think I am very radical in holding such beliefs.

As for them killing all of the animals they rescue...do you have any reliable source for such a claim? For any of your claims?
    Actually, all of Bumper's post is factual and accurate. My guess is that the animal rights folks just haven't targeted you personally - yet. I see in your profile that you are interested in breeding. Breeding of ANY animal is abhorrent to the animal rights crowd, and that is just for starters. As for your request of a reliable source of proof of the allegations of how many animals PeTA has killed, here it is, straight from the Virginia Dept of Agriculturehttp://www.virginia.gov/vdacs_ar/cgi...=157&year=2010
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Here is a sampling of the mindset of the two women (one a salaried employee of FoA, the other a do-gooder gadfly) who coordinated the demonstration at the American Girl store the other day, direct from one of their FB pages:

Edita Birnkrant
    "Clarissa, I believe that any time we exploit another sentient being, treat them as a commodity, as a slave, we ~are~ treating them poorly, by definition. What right do we have to force horses to pull carriages for us? Or rather, why do we believe that we have the right to dominate & exploit other animals for our purposes?

July 20 at 10:31pm
    No Walk in the Park
    Clarissa - we need to be very sensitive and cognizant of a horse's behavior when we live with them. Horses do like to "work" - but this means that they love to learn new things because it makes them feel proud and good about themselves. Domesticated horses should be able to be led by a harness for their own good - just as a dog needs to learn to go outside your home or be able to walk on a leash - for their safety - same with a horse. If there is a fire in the barn, you want to be able to lead your horse to safety. They are, after all, not wild mustangs.

That said, I am opposed to using horses to pull carriages at all.
    July 21 at 6:48am · 1 person

No Walk in the Park
    Further - domestication brings with it new challenges so we can all live together. My friends at one of the horse rescues do ride their horses but they do it without a saddle and this means no bit. I am not opposed to this at all. The horses seem to love it - and their bond is very close. I am one of the lucky ones i guess - I have cats and they (as all of you know) refuse to do anything you want. They try to domesticate us - make us do for them. We are the exploited slaves. :-)"

Give me animal welfare over "animal rights" any day of the week.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    They ask for reforms in areas such as horse racing, circus and other exploitive industries where animals are generally mistreated for monetary gain.
    I can't speak for circuses or "other exploitive industries" (whatever the hell that means,) but in all of my years in racing, I can't say that I've ever seen one horse deliberately mistreated for financial gain. The horses that I've worked with, whether at farm or racetrack, received the best possible care, training, and veterinary attention. I resent people like you who obviously don't have the knowledge to qualify your inaccurate and inflammatory statements.

Quote Originally Posted by On the Farm View Post
    I can't speak for circuses or "other exploitive industries" (whatever the hell that means,) but in all of my years in racing, I can't say that I've ever seen one horse deliberately mistreated for financial gain. The horses that I've worked with, whether at farm or racetrack, received the best possible care, training, and veterinary attention. I resent people like you who obviously don't have the knowledge to qualify your inaccurate and inflammatory statements.
    Further, in the case of PeTA, their legislation proposals of horse racing 'reform' is all part of a grander plan to eliminate the industry all together. To them, there really is no acceptable form of horse racing - or horse riding - or horse-drawn carriage driving... To animal rights activists (including PeTA's official policy) all of that is "animal exploitation."

And yes, ALL horse people, if you like riding horses, or giving or taking lessons (especially lessons for $$$), or managing a barn, or competing in horse shows, or generally doing anything with horses that involves more than just spending time with a lawn ornament... You NEED to pay attention to what the RARAs are trying to do in NYC to the carriage horses. If these horses are 'banned' on alleged 'cruelty' grounds, you'd better look out because then ALL of us here are "animal abusers."

(More info on NYC carriage horses, http://www.equiculture.org/nyc-position-statement.aspx )

[QUOTE=Donella;5740517][B]None of that is accurate. Animal rights activists are against the use of animals in which the animals suffer as a result. Anti PETA people like to claim that they are flat out against owning animals, but if you look in their website, that is inaccurate. They ask for reforms in areas such as horse racing, circus and other exploitive industries where animals are generally mistreated for monetary gain. They are against the mistreatment of pets by uneducated and uncaring owners. So am I personally, and I don't think I am very radical in holding such beliefs.?[B]

Unfortunately I can tell you from direct knowledge that there are animal rights activists that will deliberately injure or cause the death of horses to "proove their point".

A friend of mine was targeted by a group of so-called animal rights activists (acting under the wing of a well-known national organization). These people were determined to prove that my friend ill-treated his horses. He did not. He cared for them greatly, both emotionally and through proper feeding, vet and farrier care. Since the RARA's couldn't get him by repeatedly reporting him to authorities they went ahead and started to try to injure the horses themselves.

Among other things they threw barbed wire pieces over the pasture fence, they cut fences, they chased horses in the night, they put an lice infested blanket in the pasture, they put a strangles infested blanket in the pasture. Someone injected an unknown substance into some of the horses. One has died.

So yes - there are extreme people out there that will do ANYTHING to try to prove their point. In their quest for "animal rights" they have killed one of the sweetest mares anyone would ever meet.

One of these RARA's was caught and case is pending.

Spam post reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post

Ironically, the vast majority of major animal welfare reforms that have been made over the last couple of decades have come courtesy of the pressure/awareness created by animals rights activists. So hate them if you must, but be aware that they have done more for the welfare of animals than anyone claiming to care about animal welfare.
    PETA has been a thorn in the side of Virginia animal shelters for years because of the high kill rate. The latest is here: http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/...125837098.html Make the time to google the state of Virginia and animal shelter euthanasia and placement rate. PETA has been running at over 90% euthanasia for a long time. I don't think every animal is fixable and a humane euthanasia makes sense for many animals. However, when you examine the shelter reports from the state of Virginia PETA kill rate is the highest of any. What is up with that??

None of that is accurate. Animal rights activists are against the use of animals in which the animals suffer as a result. Anti PETA people like to claim that they are flat out against owning animals, but if you look in their website, that is inaccurate.
    Well of course it's not going to be on their website...the place they direct people to in order to collect donations.

Have you ever gone to listen to any AR activist in person? Have you ever spoken to any of them in person?

I have. What they put on their website in order to garner money from those who really only want to hear hearts and flowers about them and evil things about bad guys is not indicative of what they stand for. Nor on what they actually do. Their website is made specifically to target people who donate with their hearts and emotions and that don't use their heads, reasoning or bother with any research. They go to those websites to read what they want to hear, so PETA, HSUS and other AR groups gives that to the people. And the people eat that up, ask for more and also regurgitate it back to others...just like those websites want them to.
    It's kinda like clicker training; click on their links, learn what they want you to learn, believe it as gospel and the treat is the warm fuzzy feeling they wanted you to have about it...and that the person wanted to feel before even going there.

These have been posted before...in response to your direct questioning. You either missed it or chose to ignore it then. I see since then (2 years ago) you haven't bothered to research them any further and still believe the nonsense they put on their websites. Please consider going to listen to one of these folks speak in person.

People with the time, money, love, and patience to make a lifetime commitment to an animal can make an enormous difference by adopting from shelters or rescuing animals from a perilous life on the street. But it is also important to stop manufacturing "pets," thereby perpetuating a class of animals forced to rely on humans to survive." PETA pamphlet, Companion Animals: Pets or Prisoners?

But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship ­ enjoyment at a distance." Ingrid Newkirk, PETA vice-president, quoted in The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223.

"Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation." Ingrid Newkirk, national director, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), Just Like Us? Harper's, August 1988, p. 50.

"In a perfect world, all other than human animals would be free of human interference, and dogs and cats would be part of the ecological scheme." PeTA's Statement on Companion Animals.

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment from them ... One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV," Ingrid Newkirk, national director, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), Chicago Daily Herald, March 1, 1990.

“I don’t have a hands-on fondness for animals…To this day I don’t feel bonded to any non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I’m kind to them, but there’s no special bond between me and other animals.” Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 251.

"We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding. . One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding." Wayne Pacelle, Senior VP of Humane Society of the US, formerly of Friends of Animals and Fund for Animals, Animal People, May, 1993

When asked if he envisioned a future without pets, “If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.” Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266.

"[A]s the surplus of cats and dogs {artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship--enjoyment at a distance." Ingrid Newkirk, "Just Like Us? Toward a Notion of Animal Rights", Harper's, August 1988, p. 50.

"The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats ... If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind," Ingrid Newkirk, founder, president and former national director, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), Animals, May/June 1993

"My goal is the abolition of all animal agriculture." JP Goodwin, employed at the Humane Society of the US, formerly at Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade, as quoted on AR-Views, an animal rights Internet discussion group in 1996.

Deep down, I truly hope that oppression, torture and murder return to each uncaring human tenfold! I hope that fathers accidentally shoot their sons on hunting excursions, while carnivores suffer heart attacks that kill them slowly.
    Every woman ensconced in fur should endure a rape so vicious that it scars them forever. While every man entrenched in fur should suffer an anal raping so horrific that they become disemboweled. Every rodeo cowboy and matador should be gored to death, while circus abusers are trampled by elephants and mauled by tigers. And, lastly, may irony shine its esoteric head in the form of animal researchers catching debilitating diseases and painfully withering away because research dollars that could have been used to treat them was wasted on the barbaric, unscientific practice vivisection." Gary Yourofsky, PeTA Humane Education Lecturer, quoted in the University of Southern Indiana Student Newspaper, The Shield, January 24, 2008

"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration." Michael W. Fox, Scientific Director and former Vice President, The Humane Society of the United States, The Inhumane Society, New York, 1990

"Humane care (of animals) is simply sentimental, sympathetic patronage." Dr. Michael W. Fox, Humane Society of the US, in 1988 Newsweek interview

"I despise 'animal welfare.' That's like saying, 'Let's beat the slaves three times a week instead of five times a week'." Gary Yourofsky, founder, Animals Deserve Adequate Protection Today and Tomorrow (ADAPTT), PeTA's national lecturer

We would be foolish and silly not to unite with people in the public health sector, the environmental community, [and] unions, to try to challenge corporate agriculture." Wayne Pacelle, Senior VP Humane Society of the US, formerly of Friends of Animals and Fund for Animals, at the Animal Rights 2002" Convention, July 1, 2002.

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and threat are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause." Alex Pacheco, co-founder of PETA. Quoted in an Associated Press News feature, January 3, 1989

"If an 'animal abuser' were killed in a research lab firebombing, I would unequivocally support that, too." Gary Yourofsky, founder of Animals Deserve Adequate Protection Today and Tomorrow (ADAPTT), now employed as PeTA's national lecturer

"A burning building doesn't help melt people's hearts, but times change and tactics, I'm sure, have to change with them. If you choose to carry out ALF-style actions, I ask you to please not say more than you need to, to think carefully who you trust, to learn all you can about how to behave if arrested, and so to try to live to fight another day." Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's founder and president, Interview in ALF quarterly Bite Back, February, 2003

"If we really believe that animals have the same right to be free from pain and suffering at our hands, then, of course we're going to be, as a movement, blowing things up and smashing windows ... I think it's a great way to bring about animal liberation ... I think it would be great if all of the fast-food outlets, slaughterhouses, these laboratories, and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow. I think it's perfectly appropriate for people to take bricks and toss them through the windows. ... Hallelujah to the people who are willing to do it." Bruce Friedrich, PeTA's director of Vegan Outreach, Animal Rights Conference, 2001

"I think [food producers] should appreciate that we're only targeting their property. Because frankly I think it's time to start targeting them." Rodney Coronado, convicted felon for the 1992 firebombing of Michigan State University research facility (57 months in federal prison, 3 years probation), speaking at the "Conference on Organized Resistance," American University, January 26, 2003.

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause." Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Donella,
    I do not believe for a moment that you know anything about the Animal Rights movement, as you clearly do not know that one of their greatest desires is to void animal ownership and breeding of any kind. Now, if you believe in the same ideals as the AR folks, then fine; Start your dispersal sale and give up riding.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by On the Farm View Post
    You might want to take off that blindfold.

I don't have much use for any extremists, but the outcry over horses suffering from heat exhaustion after xcountry in Barcelona was the reason why there were so many measures taken against the heat in Atlanta.

Having read the thread on the Amish horses left tied up in the heat outside of a Costco, I wonder why the RARA's don't do anything about that.

That thread relayed a lot of true abuse. If the RARA's truly believe what they preach why don't they get their behinds to Amish communities.

The RARA's are just a bunch of cowardly zealots. They need to find another hobby.....

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    You might want to take off that blindfold.

I don't have much use for any extremists, but the outcry over horses suffering from heat exhaustion after xcountry in Barcelona was the reason why there were so many measures taken against the heat in Atlanta.
    Sure, you can find bad situations and outright abuse any place you look, not only where animals are involved.
    That doesn't mean ALL involved are abusers.

We bred, trained, raced and retrained horses for many years and you would not have found any reason to call any of what we did abuse, nor any most did.

That is what animal rights fanatics do, find some that is not up to par, or as with the carriage horses, where there is no abuse there, but AR people make it look like there is and then brand ALL animal users as abusers.