The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow Working Student Position?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a working student position for the summer of 2012 at either an eventing or dressage barn and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should look. I have experience in hunter/jumpers and dressage and would love to learn about eventing. I have already looked on the Yard and Groom website and didn't see much that looked very promising. Also, I would like to stay within the very large realm of Area II. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Don't know the exact area, but www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com is looking for a working student for next year.

Thanks for the lead, but I don't think I should contact her because she is looking for someone starting in May.

Jane Sleeper and Susie Beale are usually hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussy Cat View Post
    Jane Sleeper and Susie Beale are usually hiring.
    Already contacted Jane Sleeper, filled out her application and am waiting for a response! Her program looks really great, I am still looking though in case she doesn't get back to me/doesn't work out (although from what I can tell she seems very nice and to want what is best for her working students). I will definitely check out Susie Beale! Thanks

I think I saw a position with Sinead Halpin via Meg Kep's blog a month or so ago. I can't remember when it needed to be filled. Phyllis Dawson also has a working student program.

Good luck!

---

ETA: Oh, and Sara Kozumplik (Dierks) also has a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    Thanks for the lead, but I don't think I should contact her because she is looking for someone starting in May.
    There's nothing wrong with making contact, being very clear about your proposed start date, and asking to be kept in the loop for future openings.
    Click here before you buy.

Deltawave- This is a very good point. If I do not hear back from the other two trainer I have already contacted, I will most certainly look into working at Cotton Meadows.

You could put an ad up on the Yard and Groom's "job seeking" page, or on http://3-day-eventing.com/

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

I would be proactive and make a list of people you would like to work with and send them a resume. When they do have an opening you will already be on the radar. Make sure you let them know why you would be a good fit for their program. Also if you audit any clinics of trainers you want to learn from you can usually introduce yourself and send a follow up note.

Just curious, has anyone has experience with Courtney Cooper? Her program also seems to be rather large and well planned out.

I'm well acquainted with someone who spent a gap year (between high school and college) at Courtney's farm. Courtney runs an EXCELLENT working student program. Expect to work long hours (very long), do lots of riding, and learn a ton about eventing and horse sales. The winter months in Aiken are a real plus.

Look here. There are several. http://usea2.net/ads/index.php?id=38. And I thought I heard Emily Beshear might have a position
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Another vote for Courtney. I contacted her a few years ago when I was looking for a new horse. Not only did she show me 3 or 4 at her place, she also took me to Phillip Dutton's and set up an appointment for me to try a horse at Kelli Temple's farm. She was super nice and very professional. Her working student that she had at the time really seemed like part of the team which I loved to see. She even rode one of the horses for us. I think her working students get an opportunity to go out and compete on the sale horses also. I was really impressed with both Courtney and her operation. Definitely look into it!!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDeclan View Post
    Another vote for Courtney. I contacted her a few years ago when I was looking for a new horse. Not only did she show me 3 or 4 at her place, she also took me to Phillip Dutton's and set up an appointment for me to try a horse at Kelli Temple's farm. She was super nice and very professional. Her working student that she had at the time really seemed like part of the team which I loved to see. She even rode one of the horses for us. I think her working students get an opportunity to go out and compete on the sale horses also. I was really impressed with both Courtney and her operation. Definitely look into it!!
    This is very reassuring. I did a quick search on the COTH forums for her yesterday and not one person had anything bad to say about her at all!
    Last edited by catosis; Aug. 11, 2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    Debi Crowley was looking for someone in May, but her WS from the year before stayed, so she will be looking for someone this spring, 2012.

Will Coleman and assistant trainer, Ashley Adams were looking for a working student. You can contact both of them through Facebook.